Not really finding rooms in the Cinque Terre villages I want. Stay in Genoa?

Millenia98

I was looking all last night in Vernazza and Monterosso. Nothing much. We have 2 days/nights. Would Genoa be too far? I'd like to see Genoa and like big cities, but I removed it so we can concentrate on visiting and mingling within the 5 villages.

What dates were you looking for? How many rooms? How many people? The problem with Cinque Terre is that you find mostly apartments and homes. Hotels are very few.

Look at VRBO (aka HomeAway), AirBnB, TripAdvisor…

The place I stayed at in Vernazza was wiped out by the flood. I don't know if the lady redid the apartment or not. It was right across the walkway from the bakery and little grocery.

Edited by slidergirl

What type of place are you looking for? These are small, old villages and do not have much in the way of modern hotels. Think more in terms of B&Bs or just rooms.

It would be a shame to miss out on the magic of early morning or evening in one of the villages after the tourists are gone.

We stayed overnight in Vernazza. We just asked at a cafe and were put in contact with someone renting out rooms. Mind you this was October so it was not so busy. The room was spartan but perfectly comfortable and the view overlooking the main street was priceless.

There are places and strategies recommended by Rick Steves. There are airbnb listing and places on booking.com. If you google 'chinque terre accommodations' you will find more.

Genoa would be too far. If you cannot find anything in CQ, try Portovenere which is the closest town to Riomaggiore and on the ferry line.

We stayed at the Hotel Palme in Monterosso and found it to be very nice and convenient.

Have you tried the official CQ website to find rooms?

http://www.cinqueterre.it/en

Edited by marazul

You could have a look at La Spezia which connects with the Cinque Terre both by boat and train. We stopped there during a cruise and use the boat to hop between the villages. There may be more hotel options here.

If you want real hotels, La Spezia is a good option. Easy to get from there to Cinque Terre by train. But we prefer the smaller B&B and inns in the villages.

Hank

There are a fair number of smaller hotel/BnB type places in the CT. However, until the OP tells us when they are trying to go, hard to help. If it is Summer 2017, it is too far away. If it is June 2016, they may be full.

There are a fair number of smaller hotel/BnB type places in the CT. However, until the OP tells us when they are trying to go, hard to help. If it is Summer 2017, it is too far away. If it is June 2016, they may be full.

September 2, 2016. And I've been looking on Airbnb. A 3 bedroom would be ideal.

Don't know how common a 3 bedroom location would be...that might be what is holding you up.

September is still pretty popular time to be there. At this date, "sold out" might be a major part of the problem.

We stayed at the Hotel Porto Roca, one of the bigger hotels in the CT. Have you contacted them? Very nice place.

Edited by CruiserBruce

September 2, 2016. And I've been looking on Airbnb. A 3 bedroom would be ideal.

Just did a quickie on VRBO (aka HomeAway); saw at least one 3bdr in Vernazza that was available, and one in Monterosso...

• 1 month later...

I have stayed twice at larosadeiventi-Vernazza.it. That is the website she has lovely rooms. Giuliana on those three rooms the one with the balcony is the best. I also have stayed with her cousin Ivo. Ivocamere.com. Both really clean it really

Best bet is to stay at Hotel Firenze & Continental in La Spezia just across from station . You are just 10 minutes by train to the nearest village of the CT in Riomaggiore and 20 minutes to the furthest at Monterosso .