Global entry

RNGALNG

I already got the email saying to check my account, and my account now says I am approved. So my interview was this morning at 10am and my account was approved by noon. The only bummer is that my birthday is next week, and the five year period is up on my birthday of 2021. So I got exactly 5 years.

Oh well, I'm just glad it went so smoothly and quickly!

I am waiting on my preliminary approval but my only big beef so far is the lack of enrollment centers on the east coast between Dulles Airport (VA) and Atlanta Airport. There is exactly one in Charlotte. If you look at other states like Ohio they have an enrollment center in Port Clinton where a ferry to Put-In-Bay goes out of, but RDU airport in Raleigh which is the capital of NC? Nope.

I wonder how they choose where enrollment centers are placed. I was looking for an email to ask that question but figured it was pointless.

We will be testing it out tomorrow! For someone who asked - the initial pre-approval came back in 6 hours for my retired husband and 24 hours for me. I am thinking they may verify employment maybe? This was so easy - for $20 per year- no brainer!

There are times when pre check appears on your boarding pass and is still not available. This is most common on international flights. I had it happen recently coming to the US from London' date=' and a few minutes later rode an elevator with a TSA agent, so I asked about it. He was initially quite huffy until I said that I wasn't arguing, I was asking. I was already thru the process! Then he said that they were no longer allowing any pre checks on international flights for security reasons. I have no idea if that meant "today," this month, or forever![/quote']

There's never Pre Check available coming in from another country (unless you are talking about the return) or on non-US carriers. I don't know how recently you were told that, but I don't think it's true that they aren't allowing it on international flights.

I think Global Entry is worth its weight in gold, certainly worth the $20/year ($10/year if you get Nexus). We've had it since 2012 and it has saved countless hours at the airport, not only with pre-check but clearing customs and immigration on the return (and entering Canada with Nexus).

I am waiting on my preliminary approval but my only big beef so far is the lack of enrollment centers on the east coast between Dulles Airport (VA) and Atlanta Airport. There is exactly one in Charlotte. If you look at other states like Ohio they have an enrollment center in Port Clinton where a ferry to Put-In-Bay goes out of, but RDU airport in Raleigh which is the capital of NC? Nope.

I wonder how they choose where enrollment centers are placed. I was looking for an email to ask that question but figured it was pointless.

Because of here was quite a wait for an interview on n Cleveland, we went to Port Clinton. A beautiful new building. They told us that they had just opened in January and we're still not known about. They said that in the winter months, they have almost nothing to do with the lake frozen over, so they asked if they could open up for GE business. We got our appointment for the same week we were notified of our acceptance.

So, I think it depends on where there are entries into the US. Not necessarily at airports. Sorry you don't have a 'foreign country' close to your borders! ;)

It will be quite extensive. You can expect it to last at least half an hour. The agent will be very familiar with your application and will likely pick one single part of it to quiz you on details. He/she is looking to make sure you know what you said and that you have told the complete truth. The day my wife and I had our interviews, 2 people were rejected because they were either ignorant of the details of what they had reported in the application or they were caught in a lie. :eek: You don't need to be intimidated, but study your application and be able to provide further details, e.g., about some trip you took or what you do or did in your work. The more open and cooperative the better.;)

BTW, for those struggling with interview dates, you might consider planning a trip around the interview. We found we could interview sooner at ATL than anywhere within driving distance of Lexington, and my mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility near there. So we flew into Atlanta in time to do our interview and then went to visit her.:cool:

WOW! They are apparently tough in Atlanta! My interview at SFO consisted of 3 questions and about 5 minutes, but then again, I am a very boring person who never moves and has a job that requires fingerprints on file with the State of California.

My suggestion for places to fly for an interview is Las Vegas. The wait for an appointment there is way shorter than SFO if you are in a hurry.

Also, just an FYI, in case it is important to anyone. When I went for my interview they encoded my passport with the information. The agent noticed that I only have a year left on my passport and reminded me that I have to bring my new passport in to be encoded when I get it. No appointment necessary, but I do have to make another trip out there to get it done.

Also, just an FYI, in case it is important to anyone. When I went for my interview they encoded my passport with the information. The agent noticed that I only have a year left on my passport and reminded me that I have to bring my new passport in to be encoded when I get it. No appointment necessary, but I do have to make another trip out there to get it done.

Our passports are not encoded at all. I think that is something that has changed. Your passport number is now recorded in the CBP system as having Global Entry. When you get a new passport number due to renewal, you only have to use the GOES system to update the CBP system. No appointment is necessary.

I recently read that RDU is going to have Global Entry enrollment centers but I don't remember when. We live close to RDU and when we had our interviews 2 years ago we coordinated it with a vacation so we had our interviews in Vegas.

I recently read that RDU is going to have Global Entry enrollment centers but I don't remember when. We live close to RDU and when we had our interviews 2 years ago we coordinated it with a vacation so we had our interviews in Vegas.

Thank you for that. I did a search and it looks like they had limited appointments at RDU for three days each in April and May of this year. I hope they continue in June and that I can snag one. :)

Edited by Dudleydog73

Global Entry is also being used (on an experimental basis) at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). When you debark from a cruise and walk into the terminal there is usually a separate line for those with Global Entry. When you enter the Global Entry Line (at the port) they may or may not ask you to show your Global Entry ID card (it is the only time we have ever been asked to show the card).

Hank

In March'16, at Ft. Lauderdale, we saw the Global Entry sign way on the right hand wall -- the snaking queue passed around the rows of luggage to the left. Two agents were standing there, looking bored. Three of our party of four had GE cards in hand, and the four of us were directed down their narrow lane DIRECTLY to the next customs agent. I'm not sure the wheels on our bags ever stopped rolling.

Best $100 bucks we've EVER SPENT.

Note: the customs agent when we had our interviews to get the cards told us "as soon as you leave this office, with or without the physical card, your PASSPORT is active in our system... The kiosks that use the passport code only aren't YET at cruise ports, so when cruising, carry the physical card."

It will be quite extensive. You can expect it to last at least half an hour. The agent will be very familiar with your application and will likely pick one single part of it to quiz you on details. He/she is looking to make sure you know what you said and that you have told the complete truth. The day my wife and I had our interviews, 2 people were rejected because they were either ignorant of the details of what they had reported in the application or they were caught in a lie. :eek: You don't need to be intimidated, but study your application and be able to provide further details, e.g., about some trip you took or what you do or did in your work. The more open and cooperative the better.;)

BTW, for those struggling with interview dates, you might consider planning a trip around the interview. We found we could interview sooner at ATL than anywhere within driving distance of Lexington, and my mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility near there. So we flew into Atlanta in time to do our interview and then went to visit her.:cool:

In my interview, the agent asked if I had ever accepted a bag from a stranger at any airport. That was it, at LAX.:)

I don't remember for sure because we applied last November. We waited until now to do our interview because we aren't flying anywhere until August and I didn't see any reason to get it early and have the clock ticking on the 5 years. I think it was very quick to get the provisional approval, maybe a week or two?

So there's no time limit on when you have to make the appt for the interview after you get the notice that you can schedule?

So there's no time limit on when you have to make the appt for the interview after you get the notice that you can schedule?

You must schedule it--not have the meeting--within 30 days. I'm not sure how far out the schedule is open, but it will likely be months not weeks.

I remember you had 30 days to schedule but you had up to six months to assign your appointment. Our interview at LAX was short. Under 5 minutes. Most of that was spent explaining how to use it. They have already done the background check before you get there. Why do you think it takes 2-3 months to get the okay to make the appointment?

To the guy who said he was asked about a particular destination - well, those guys like to travel too. Maybe he really wanted to know how and what he liked. Sometimes people ask questions because they really want to know the answer.

We live in Denver and decided to apply for Global Entry on May 13, 2016. Since I recently retired we plan on traveling more and thought this would make life easier. Hopefully it will, if we ever get it!!!

I received notification today that we are approved and needed to schedule an interview. Here's the catch....NO APPOINTMENTS were available for the 15 minute interview at Denver International Airport until November 9, 2016. :eek: We have two trips before then.

Oh well...nothing you can do but wait! I can only hope that this will help us out in the long run.

Debi

Yup. Denver only has two positions (glass windows) to do the interviews in the International Arrivals area. You will also get fingerprinted and retina scan before the interview. We did this a couple of years ago and were approved in April and finally got an appointment in September. Very courteous folks, just not set up for the number of people they need to be able to handle.

We just completed Global Entry interviews today at the Minneapolis airport.

Applied in March and interview was today. He approved us today and said we will get our cards in about two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Couple questions about filling out the application.

1. It asks for any previous last name you used. When I fill in my maiden it sends me back to update my profile but there is no place to put you maiden name.

2. Also it asks for your maternal name, does that need to be filled out?

Thanks!

Couple questions about filling out the application.

1. It asks for any previous last name you used. When I fill in my maiden it sends me back to update my profile but there is no place to put you maiden name.

2. Also it asks for your maternal name, does that need to be filled out?

Thanks!

If I remember, 'other last names' is not your maiden name. 'Maternal name' was where you put maiden name.

For those of you who have scheduled interviews, can you change the location of the interview if you find an opening sooner? For example, if we choose Orlando and get an interview for August, but we notice later that Sanford Airport has an opening in July, can we switch locations?

Yes, you can move your appointment around to take advantage of cancellations. In my area this can cut waiting time up to seven months.

Make sure to never cancel an appointment without booking the new one - the system will reject your application if you don't have an appointment scheduled in the future and it's been more than (90?) days from your approval.

If two members of the same household need appointments, most locations will let you take a single time slot. Move one user to the available cancellation, leave the other in the future, and both show up with your letter and supporting documents.

two members of the same household need appointments, most locations will let you take a single time slot. Move one user to the available cancellation, leave the other in the future, and both show up with your letter and supporting documents.

Great information! I wish I had known that at the time!! We are far enough away from an airport that we wanted to schedule our interviews at about the same time. Because of that, we bypassed MANY open appointments in the months leading up to ours.

For those of you who have scheduled interviews, can you change the location of the interview if you find an opening sooner? For example, if we choose Orlando and get an interview for August, but we notice later that Sanford Airport has an opening in July, can we switch locations?

as others have said, you can change the location…we did…we saw an opportunity a few weeks ago to get in quickly at miami airport and took it… it was really worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to get it done quickly…the staff at miami airport were really great and accommodating …they are very proud of their quick service appointments and have extended hours, really great customer service…we got our cards in mail 6 days later.

the bonus for us was the incredible cuban lunch we had before we headed back to sarasota.