Global entry

RNGALNG

It will be quite extensive. You can expect it to last at least half an hour. The agent will be very familiar with your application and will likely pick one single part of it to quiz you on details. He/she is looking to make sure you know what you said and that you have told the complete truth. The day my wife and I had our interviews, 2 people were rejected because they were either ignorant of the details of what they had reported in the application or they were caught in a lie. :eek: You don't need to be intimidated, but study your application and be able to provide further details, e.g., about some trip you took or what you do or did in your work. The more open and cooperative the better.;)

OMG, that's awful. Our own experiences were quite the opposite. We arrived 15 minutes early and the place was empty. An agent noticed us and asked if we were the "whoever". Said yes and he motioned us over to a desk. I stood behind DW as he "interviewed" her which was a couple of simple casual questions and then he took her fingerprints and photograph. DW and I swapped places, same quick procedure with some more casual conversation and then we were done in less than 15 minutes for the both of us. In all honesty we expected a bit more of a grilling. We got home 30 minutes later and already had e-mails approving our application and providing the KTNs. Cards arrived in the mail about 10 days later.

All that said, I agree that one must be completely honest on the application and at the interview and be prepared for a more intensive interview if there's anything out of the ordinary on your record. Once denied for application irregularities, it would be very difficult to get approved at a later date.

Edited by beg3yrs

Thanks. That is what I was hoping for.

Hey Paul-

Since you are so close to Charlotte- once your application is approved, you may want to check at CLT for appointment. I was able to "move mine up" to one week of approval by checking the site frequently. My husband got approval on a Thursday- and had his appointment on Monday- he lucked into a cancelation!

DH and I did the online application, got approval within about a week, then had to schedule appt about 3 months out a state away. We are full time workers, so it was easier to just "do without" global access on our last international trip and make the appointment when we could take a day off work to travel to ATL.

First interview of the day, we had lots of documentation about who we were and where we lived (DL, bills etc). Interview was on time (we had first interview of the day, waiting room was full by the time we left) and not strenuous at all. Questions about where we had traveled lately, any arrests, felonies etc. Fingerprints and pictures. Never asked even for my Driver's license. All over in about 20 minutes for both of us (interviewed separately). Had email approval in 24 hours, card in a week via USPS. Except for the wait for the interview (the few months) all went very smoothly.

Hope it works on our next trip.

OMG, that's awful.

All that said, I agree that one must be completely honest on the application and at the interview and be prepared for a more intensive interview if there's anything out of the ordinary on your record. Once denied for application irregularities, it would be very difficult to get approved at a later date.

Yes, sounds like you had a significantly easier time. In Atlanta there were 2 or 3 agents interviewing, and my wife and I were interviewed at roughly the same time by different agents. We were not allowed to sit in on each others' interview. We know two other couples whose experience was similar to ours. :( One had their interview in Charlotte and the other in Chicago. They gave the same story of the half hour separate interviews and drilling down on particular details of some specific part of the application. For me, it was why we had visited Ireland and what we did when we were there there and then what I did for a living before I retired (I was a lawyer) and what type of law I practiced (which was perfectly benign, utility regulation). My wife was similarly quizzed about a trip (not the one to Ireland, but I don't remember where it was, but not anywhere "suspicious") and about her hometown. The only thing "out of the ordinary" for all three of us is that we had previously traveled a dozen times or so internationally, but I suspect that's not very extraordinary for many people on Cruise Critic.

As for the 2 people whose applications were rejected, 1 simply did not know what was in his application, so I think the agent thought he had not actually filled it out. The other had not disclosed a criminal conviction:eek: and, of course, their investigation of the application had alerted the agent to that issue.

We had our interview in DFW a month ago and were asked NO questions. We were fingerprinted and out in less than 15 minutes. We had back to back appointments and he let us come in together. Cannot believe it is so different from airport to airport. Friend just got pre-approval and first appointment at DFW was August!

We had TSA Pre-Check twice in the last year but I'm not sure why. We didn't apply it was just on our boarding passes. It was great! We cruised right on through very quickly. Again, I'm not sure why we got it but we were glad we did.

If I do apply I'll probably just apply for that as most of our flights will be domestic. I may not bother though unless the current trend of horrendously long lines continues.

The DW and I have GE and it's been totally worth it!!

Before people think it's magic though, I'll concur with other posters that it's not a guarantee- you have to have Pre-Check on your boarding pass, and sometimes you may not get it (for whatever security algorithm reason). So just be prepared for that (GE gives you the privilege of PreCheck, not the right).

We found in Hilo that the PreCheck line is usually just added to the regular line but you're handed a card that allows you to leave everything in your bags. Especially at smaller airports I guess it makes more sense than having agents waiting around for a couple pre check travelers...

Global entry at LAX last year was A LIFE SAVER!!! We arrived at the same time as 1,567 other Jumbo Jets did, so there were MILLIONS of people in line! But GE had us through in 10 minutes! So fast we spent more time waiting for bags at the carrousel than anything else! Also, Customs had a Global Entry line that was empty while the regular line looked kinda chaotic!

We think it was $100 very well spent! Our CPB checkpoint was very easy to make an appt at because HNL is only so big [emoji6] but the sooner you get started, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey Paul-

Since you are so close to Charlotte- once your application is approved, you may want to check at CLT for appointment. I was able to "move mine up" to one week of approval by checking the site frequently. My husband got approval on a Thursday- and had his appointment on Monday- he lucked into a cancelation!

Tracie,

Thanks. We planned to check Charlotte first. It is the closest option. Atlanta is another 1 to 12 hours depending on traffic. :)

I just flew out of Detroit and they did something that was a new one for me. I entered through the pre check corral and was handed a laminated 8x10 card with Pre check on it in large letters. Then I was directed to the front of the regular line, didn't have to remove shoes or liquids and sailed right through.

This is the oft-lamented PreCheck Lite. It's common at smaller airports and during travel times where there are fewer Pre members at major airports. LAX T3 is always this style, too. I hate it because it's inconsistent and the bags being screened in front of me are more likely to have prohbited items, slowing me down.

We had TSA Pre-Check twice in the last year but I'm not sure why. We didn't apply it was just on our boarding passes. It was great! We cruised right on through very quickly. Again, I'm not sure why we got it but we were glad we did.

If I do apply I'll probably just apply for that as most of our flights will be domestic. I may not bother though unless the current trend of horrendously long lines continues.

That's a program that has been substantially curtailed. The only Managed Inclusion that has expanded is "Managed Inclusion I", where an entire queue of non-pre check passengers can be turned into Pre Check by use of an explosives dog.

The small incremental fee (and harder-to-obtain appointments) for Global Entry, or lower fee ($50/5 years) for NEXUS (gets you GE+Pre+expedited entry into Canada, but requires an interview in or near the Canadian border) are well worth it. I saved at least an hour of waiting at Canada Place yesterday just by repeating "I have Global Entry" at every person directing passengers to CBP queues. I am also suspecting that GE or GE Lite may come to San Pedro sooner rather than later.

We just renewed our passports and received a flyer with them covering the four Department of Homeland Security Trusted Traveler Programs. The four programs are TSA Pre Check at $85., Global Entry at $100., NEXUS at $50., and SENTRI at $122.25. Looking at the chart explaining the four programs, it looks like each one has an initial purpose, but some also include the benefits of the others. For example, TSA Pre Check is just for expedited screening at participating airports. Global Entry is for expedited processing through Customs and Border Protection at airports and land borders upon arrival in the U.S. NEXUS gives expedited processing at airports and land borders when entering the U.S. and Canada and can also be used by Canadians. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but focuses on Mexico. But Global Entry also includes TSA Pre Check and NEXUS also includes both Global Entry and TSA Pre Check. So why would someone pay $100 for Global Entry when they can get the same benefits plus NEXUS by applying for NEXUS? Seems like applying for a Chinese visa and paying the same price for a 3-month visa or a 2-year one.

By the way, it took just 17 days to get our new passports and we didn't request expedited service.

Seems like applying for a Chinese visa and paying the same price for a 3-month visa or a 2-year one.

If only princess could assist with these (global entry, tsa pre, etc), and add a 50% convenience fee!

NEXUS also includes both Global Entry and TSA Pre Check. So why would someone pay $100 for Global Entry when they can get the same benefits plus NEXUS by applying for NEXUS?.

I believe you are mistaken. Nexus does not include TSA pre check if I a reading this correctly

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus

I see no mention of pre heck. Am I missing something?

I believe you are mistaken. Nexus does not include TSA pre check if I a reading this correctly

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus

I see no mention of pre heck. Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed something.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%C2%AE

Looks like Nexus does include Pre Check, but I don't believe it includes Global Entry. The link says you can use the GE kiosk when entering the US from Canadian pre clearance airports. Doesn't say anything about entering the US from other foreign locations.

NEXUS includes all three: NEXUS (expedited entry to Canada from any country by air and the US from Canada by land and small vessel), Global Entry (expedited entry to the US from any country by land and air and some cruise ports) and PreCheck. NEXUS also makes you eligible for expedited CATSA screening for domestic Canadian flights.

The NEXUS fee is lower because it is set in cooperation with Canada.

The NEXUS card is somewhat harder to get for two reasons: first, Canada has a higher bar for Americans getting into Canada than the US has for returning Americans from abroad. Most notable is their stance on DUI and long-past criminal convictions: these can be total bars to entry without an expensive legal process. Many people who did something dumb in their college years find themselves inadmissible to Canada after the more thorough background check, even if they've entered before. If either side finds you ineligible for the program, you lose $50 and if you want to try again with Global Entry, it's $100 to start fresh - you don't get to just pay the difference and downgrade to GE.

The other issue is the interview sites: most airports with flights from outside the US can offer a Global Entry interview, or there is one nearby. NEXUS interviews require a Canadian presence, and thus are only conducted along the northern border. Wait times right now in the Seattle/Vancouver area are currently about eleven weeks from application for an interview at Blaine, fourteen to sixteen weeks for an interview in Vancouver or a whopping seven to eight MONTHS for one in Seattle.

Also, when you get a new passport, you must physically show up at a NEXUS office to have it updated, contrary to the published information. This can be a challenge for those who have moved away from the border.

I'm a huge fan of NEXUS, but the process is broken when it takes longer to get NEXUS than a Top Secret clearance.

Edited by VibeGuy

From the GOES page where members manage their GE/SENTRI/NEXUS membership after approval:

"Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you can now use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable U.S. passport. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found at http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry, please ignore this notification."

NEXUS includes all three: NEXUS (expedited entry to Canada from any country by air and the US from Canada by land and small vessel), Global Entry (expedited entry to the US from any country by land and air and some cruise ports) and PreCheck. NEXUS also makes you eligible for expedited CATSA screening for domestic Canadian flights.

The NEXUS fee is lower because it is set in cooperation with Canada.

The NEXUS card is somewhat harder to get for two reasons: first, Canada has a higher bar for Americans getting into Canada than the US has for returning Americans from abroad. Most notable is their stance on DUI and long-past criminal convictions: these can be total bars to entry without an expensive legal process. Many people who did something dumb in their college years find themselves inadmissible to Canada after the more thorough background check, even if they've entered before. If either side finds you ineligible for the program, you lose $50 and if you want to try again with Global Entry, it's $100 to start fresh - you don't get to just pay the difference and downgrade to GE.

The other issue is the interview sites: most airports with flights from outside the US can offer a Global Entry interview, or there is one nearby. NEXUS interviews require a Canadian presence, and thus are only conducted along the northern border. Wait times right now in the Seattle/Vancouver area are currently about eleven weeks from application for an interview at Blaine, fourteen to sixteen weeks for an interview in Vancouver or a whopping seven to eight MONTHS for one in Seattle.

Also, when you get a new passport, you must physically show up at a NEXUS office to have it updated, contrary to the published information. This can be a challenge for those who have moved away from the border.

I'm a huge fan of NEXUS, but the process is broken when it takes longer to get NEXUS than a Top Secret clearance.

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't thought about interviewing with Canadian authorities. We are about an hour from SeaTac and three hours from Blaine, so that would be doable. We travel internationally about three times a year. So the question is: Is it worth the time and expense just to save maybe three hours a year? It is not that big a deal to show up at the airport an hour earlier than usual.

Were you notified by US mail or email that it was time to schedule an interview?

We actually received an automatically generated e-mail that said something like, "there has been a change to your Gobal Entry account." At that point we logged into our account where it then indicated we had our conditional approval and should schedule an interview (which you do online).

Hank

So if Nexus gets everything that Global Entry gets I suppose the added $50 for GE is the tax for those of us who don't live by the border to get less benefits? Something doesn't sound right there...:confused:

Edited by Dudleydog73

So the question is: Is it worth the time and expense just to save maybe three hours a year? It is not that big a deal to show up at the airport an hour earlier than usual.

It depends on where you go. If you always fly west, and your first port of entry back into the US is Seattle, it may well not be worth it to you. But if you ever fly back into an east coast city, such as NY, Atlanta, or Miami, or if you might fly into LA or SF before arriving in Seattle, then it may well be well worth it. We missed a couple of connections on the east coast coming back from Europe because it took so much time to clear customs. The last time we got stuck in Newark overnight during the Christmas holidays, and we could not get on another flight until very late the next day (night actually). :( That's when we decided to get Global Entry. Now clearing customs and immigration is a breeze, and we can actually schedule fairly tight connections returning to the US knowing we can get through the re-entry process very quickly.

With regard to NEXUS, we are on our second renewal and within the past 18 months I have updated both my wife's and my own GOES account with renewed passport details. We are just about to depart from YVR but when we return the second week in June I am going to visit the NEXUS office as the information provided in the above post is contrary to what we were told by the interviewing officers and of course what is on the CBP website.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

You can get all the correct facts on the DHS and related US Gov web-sites. Lots of incomplete and mis-information on this thread.

Global Entry and TSA Pre-check are two different but related beasts. There are other similar things like Nexus which have some relation as well.

Global Entry generally allows you to re-enter the US in an expedited manner and will give you TSA Pre-Check as well. It requires an online application, payment of a fee and then an interview if your online application is approved. It's easier to fill out the online app before you travel a lot as one question asks for every country you've visited in the last 10 years. That was time consuming for us as we've been retired for four years now and the list was pretty long!

The time for your application to be approved can vary. It took us about 10 calendar days back in Sept 2015 and we were able to schedule an interview in Tucson within five days. There are horror stories about other areas taking much much longer.

TSA Pre-Check, as a separate program, is intended pretty much for use in the US. There have been comments about Pre-Check in London, but that's not where TSA operates so I don't know how that works. Anyway, if the Pre-Check lanes are open at the security checkpoints, you don't have to remove shoes or belts, laptops can stay in their bags and your "311 bag" of liquids can remain in your bag as well.

Warning: Always pack your liquids in your "311 bag" even if you have Pre-check because if the lane is closed, you may have to pull it out.

OK all that said, I know this is incomplete and hopefully doesn't contain too much misinformation - go read the DHS web-sites.

And then you can get Nexus which overrides Global Entry and your interview is done with both Canadian and US agents in Canada.