Global entry

RNGALNG

There are very few airports in the US where there are dedicated International terminals with no post-security connections to domestic terminals. Even the dreaded TBIT at LAX is now connected airside to T4-8.

Thus, if you are flying coach internationally, and are thus not getting PreCheck, just purchase a cheap fully-refundable same-day domestic ticket and use that PreCheck endorsement to get past the huddled masses. Cancel it pre-departure.

Brilliant idea.

Has anyone else that applied around May 16-17 gotten their provisional approval? I thought for sure we'd hear something by now, and still nothing...just being impatient...:rolleyes:

I applied on May 17th and have not heard.

There is another bb/forum dedicated to flyers called flyer talk (put words together). There are people who have been approved who applied on the 17th and 18th. On Friday, people posted who had applied on 16th, 17th and 18th who had gotten approved.

I hope I get approval very soon as there is a travel agency who is hosting a Global Entry event next week where I can interview as we are far from any airports that offer that service.

Edited by Coral

I applied on May 17th and have not heard.

There is another bb/forum dedicated to flyers called flyer talk (put words together). There are people who have been approved who applied on the 17th and 18th. On Friday, people posted who had applied on 16th, 17th and 18th who had gotten approved.

I hope I get approval very soon as there is a travel agency who is hosting a Global Entry event next week where I can interview as we are far from any airports that offer that service.

Thanks! That's a good resource to check as well! After reading some of the posts, I looked to see when my payment posted, and it wasn't until the 21st, so maybe I still have a couple of days to wait...hope you hear soon though...it's annoying, when you just want to be done with it!

Thanks! That's a good resource to check as well! After reading some of the posts, I looked to see when my payment posted, and it wasn't until the 21st, so maybe I still have a couple of days to wait...hope you hear soon though...it's annoying, when you just want to be done with it!

True BUT the purpose of getting this document stating you aren't a criminal and are not on the watch list etc is the whole point of pre-screening you. Remember it IS supposed to be helping to keep us safer while hurrying you along. They have to do their due diligence.

True BUT the purpose of getting this document stating you aren't a criminal and are not on the watch list etc is the whole point of pre-screening you. Remember it IS supposed to be helping to keep us safer while hurrying you along. They have to do their due diligence.

Yes, but it is interesting to read the other posts on this other forum. You will see an individual who has been to three dozen countries - many who the US is not friends with, 10 addresses, 10 jobs in the last 5 years, get approved right away when it takes a 6 month old baby (who most likely has no arrests, custom violations, etc...) take longer than the parents who applied at the same time.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the timing.

There also seemed to be a week in there recently when no one seemed to get approved over on the website. Not sure how representative it is but it seems like a good sampling. It sort of explains why people were going from being approved in 7-8 days to 15 plus days on recent applications.

Edited by Coral

Please don't misunderstand...I'm not complaining...I know that doing the required background checks are necessary and take time, it's just hard waiting for the initial approval, knowing there will most likely be a several-month wait to complete the process...(and we have a trip booked for early September!:eek:)

DW and I enrolled in GE five years ago at the same time as our traveling companions. Our companions did not have to re-interview, but we do. I think it may be because we relocated, but I'm not sure. I intend to ask when we have our interview in two weeks.

We had our renewal interview at SFO yesterday. Overall, an easy experience (if you don't count the 3.5 hour RT drive:( )

We arrived shortly after 10 for our 11 and 11:15 appointments (had to allow time for frequent and unexpected traffic issues getting across the Bay Bridge and through San Francisco. Fortunately it wasn't too bad yesterday.) We were acknowledged almost immediately and entered the screening room around 10:20 where we each had a separate agent. We walked out around 10:30, and the confirming e-mails arrived before we left the airport.:)

We each had a couple of questions in addition to confirming our current address. DW was asked where she was currently employed and whether she had been to Canada or Mexico in the past year. (Presumably to determine if it made sense for her to get a NEXUS card???) I was asked where I worked before I retired and how often I visited other countries. That was it.

The agents then took our picture and new fingerprints.

I asked if our move was the reason we had to have a renewal interview. The agents claimed they had no idea why some folks had to have a renewal interview while others did not. (I suspect that is an easy stock reply for them. Since we did not visit any suspect countries--and none that our aforementioned traveling companions did not visit--I am convinced our cross-country move triggered the need to interview.)

We'll see what happens in five years.

Edited by AJs Grandpa

For someone who mainly Flies domestic, but occ sails out of Florida,

or Vancouver...... I'm debating Which to apply for? :confused:

Originally was leaning towards just the TSA PreCk. $85 for 5 years

But after reading this whole thread..... thinking Global Entry for $100 might

be the way to go?

be the way to go?

Realistically it works out to $3 a year or 25 cents a month.

be the way to go?

I saved an hour (!) boarding in Vancouver thanks to Global Entry, and FLL has an official Global Entry setup. It's absolutely worth the $15 extra for GE.

be the way to go?

Realistically it works out to $3 a year or 25 cents a month.

Not entirely correct. Sure glad I wasn't your mathematics instructor. Care to explain what "realistically" means????

Not entirely correct. Sure glad I wasn't your mathematics instructor. Care to explain what "realistically" means????

I totally failed math in school. What I meant was it was only$15 dollars difference for 5 years. Divide $15 by 5 years and you get.... ummm... Ya, I'm having a bad thinking night. Too much pain and not enough pain medication :D OR maybe too much pain medication and.... oh never mind :rolleyes:. Totally unrealistic answer.

Applied 5/17 at 7:45 CST

Conditionally approved 6/7 at 4:11 CST

21 days for conditional approval.

I have an interview this Friday at 9 am at a local Travel Agency that is sponsoring a Global Entry interview event.

I had called the Travel Agency yesterday to see if they will hold another event as I was still not approved and assumed others were in the same boat. They indicated that they were going to ask the government officers if they could pull some strings to get the people in my city approved. Not sure if that worked but I was approved the next day. Hoping Friday goes well!

I totally failed math in school. What I meant was it was only$15 dollars difference for 5 years. Divide $15 by 5 years and you get.... ummm... Ya, I'm having a bad thinking night. Too much pain and not enough pain medication :D OR maybe too much pain medication and.... oh never mind :rolleyes:. Totally unrealistic answer.

That makes a lot more sense! The difference in cost between Pre-Check and Global Entry works out to $3 per year or 25 cents per month. You did the math correctly, just didn't tell us what question was being answered ...

The problem with TSA precheck at the moment is the TSA did not get the projected number of passengers enrolling in it which is one of the factors as to why they are understaffed.

If the precheck lanes at a particular airport is not busy or not processing the required number of passengers decided for that airport they are faster to close those lanes and redeploy those TSA agents to other lanes.

Take care,

Vinnie

Have you used Global Entry at PIT. I just got my card. I live in Crescent...neighbor. Go Pens!

I saved at least an hour of waiting at Canada Place yesterday just by repeating "I have Global Entry" at every person directing passengers to CBP queues.

I apologize if you answered this elsewhere in the thread, but what was the 1 hour of time savings based on? Were you allowed to see an agent an hour sooner, did you skip ahead to a GE machine, or something else?

I apologize if you answered this elsewhere in the thread, but what was the 1 hour of time savings based on? Were you allowed to see an agent an hour sooner, did you skip ahead to a GE machine, or something else?

It was a three-ship day and instead of the post-security queue/seated waiting, I went directly from the X-Ray scanner to one of the lines marked "non-revenue passengers". One party in front of me, quick glance at the GE card and passport, proceeded onto the ship. Those that cleared security at the same time (US nationals travelling on EDLs) had a full hour of waiting.

Canada Place does not have GE kiosks and they aren't using the installed APC kiosks yet - I would describe the current setup as "GE lite".

It was a three-ship day and instead of the post-security queue/seated waiting, I went directly from the X-Ray scanner to one of the lines marked "non-revenue passengers". One party in front of me, quick glance at the GE card and passport, proceeded onto the ship. Those that cleared security at the same time (US nationals travelling on EDLs) had a full hour of waiting.

Canada Place does not have GE kiosks and they aren't using the installed APC kiosks yet - I would describe the current setup as "GE lite".

Thanks, good to know. Now to decide if we ditch our non-GE traveling companions in the waiting room. ;)

Thanks, good to know. Now to decide if we ditch our non-GE traveling companions in the waiting room. ;)

If it's a two-ship day, probably not an issue. On a three-ship day? I'll see them for a week onboard. ;0)

We submitted our renewal for Goes and after three week no more pending

but noticed that the trusted travelers now show five more years. Does anyone know. The site has no place to inquire. Thanks

Not an expert by any means as I am not officially approved yet, but have spent the last 3 weeks at flyer talk forums. Many people who are renewing seem to be getting a 5 year extension with out another interview. A few are required to interview again.

I am guessing that due to the strong increase in applications, they are not making everyone go back in for an interview.

A quick point about the GE card. You don't need it at most entry points. Once your interview is completed you have GE. It is linked to your passport. My interviewer at IAH said most entry points don't asked to see the card, but it's a good idea to carry it just in case. We've reinterred the country in Houston and Chicago so far and no card has been

Also with GE you don't have to fill out the form flight attendant pass out on return flights. Those questions are asked on the GE screens after inserting your passport.

Another nice feature is that if you have GE but the kiosk rejects you, there is a dedicated agent to quickly approve you. My wife's fingerprints don't scan properly and the GE slip of paper the kiosk dispenses has had a big X on it both times.