Initial Amenity Points and NCF

Go-Bucks!

I'm curious what these two items mean to me and a TA.

I have a printout of the latest North America offerings and one of the columns is Initial Amenity Points. What is this and what does it mean to me and/or my TA? All the cruises on the printout list either 4 or 6 points.

The next column is NCF, which I know means Non Commissionable Fare, but don't really understand what it entails. The total Princess price for my cabin is $3,349 (not including taxes/fees of $135) and the NCF is $175. Does the TA only get a commission on $3,174 ($3,349-175)? Why not give them commission on the whole fare? Why single out $175 as not qualifying for commission?

Still learning - appreciate anyone who can share the answers with me! :p

NCF is not taxes and government fees. That is a separate column which also does not give commission. I've never figured out exactly what NCF is, but every cruise line has a small amount so designated. It just isn't usually placed where the client can see it.

Amenity points are points that the travel agent can use to send you a gift, an on board credit or whatever...I believe they can also let them accrue and use them later or for another guest! I know on one B2B I got an onboard credit of $42 per person from my TA. I though this was a totally crazy amount until I realized what was going on.

I believe you are seeing the same spread sheet I saw. If so, it was clearly indicated for travel agents, not for cruisers. So we got a little extra information.

Edited by moki'smommy

Your theory on NCF is correct. There are portions of cruise fares- usually the port charges and taxes- that a TA doesn't get a commission on.

But the NCF is $175 and port fees/taxes are $135. Not the same. Why did they choose the amount of $175 to be subtracted from the fare for no commission? :confused:

NCF is not taxes and government fees. That is a separate column which also does not give commission. I've never figured out exactly what NCF is' date=' but every cruise line has a small amount so designated. It just isn't usually placed where the client can see it.

Amenity points are points that the travel agent can use to send you a gift, an on board credit or whatever...I believe they can also let them accrue and use them later or for another guest! I know on one B2B I got an onboard credit of $42 per person from my TA. I though this was a totally crazy amount until I realized what was going on.

I believe you are seeing the same spread sheet I saw. If so, it was clearly indicated for travel agents, not for cruisers. So we got a little extra information.[/quote']

Yes, I think it was probably the same sheet. Thank you for your helpful info. My TA sent out the same sheet to their clients, but had deleted Launch Fare, Launch Savings, Initial Amenity Points, Tax/fees, and NCF columns!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I'm curious what these two items mean to me and a TA.

I have a printout of the latest North America offerings and one of the columns is Initial Amenity Points. What is this and what does it mean to me and/or my TA? All the cruises on the printout list either 4 or 6 points.

The next column is NCF, which I know means Non Commissionable Fare, but don't really understand what it entails. The total Princess price for my cabin is $3,349 (not including taxes/fees of $135) and the NCF is $175. Does the TA only get a commission on $3,174 ($3,349-175)? Why not give them commission on the whole fare? Why single out $175 as not qualifying for commission?

Still learning - appreciate anyone who can share the answers with me! :p

Most of the answers so far are fairly correct. NCF just reflects that the TA is not going to get a commission on everything you pay for the cruise. The amenities points are for those TAs or companies that book group packages. The points can be exchanged for many things including a bottle of wine or dining certificate for the clients, or even extra commission for the TA. Definitely not something that a TA should have shared.

Definitely not something that a TA should have shared.

No TA shared that with me. It was just listed on a sheet of newly released cruises. I can't see the harm, though, if someone knows what it is.

No TA shared that with me. It was just listed on a sheet of newly released cruises. I can't see the harm, though, if someone knows what it is.

I can't see the harm either. My TA is pretty open and has explained to me what amenity points were previously.

But the NCF is $175 and port fees/taxes are $135. Not the same. Why did they choose the amount of $175 to be subtracted from the fare for no commission? :confused:

Port fees (also called port charges) are not the same as port taxes or government taxes and fees. The former are assessed per ship, the approximate amount per passenger is calculated and that amount is included (usually by law) in the price you are quoted for a "fare". The cruiseline does not pay commission on these fees/charges portion of the fare. The latter tax is assessed per person, not per ship, and is added to the quoted fare, to be paid to the appropriate government entity when the person goes to the port charging the tax. (This is why the cruise line refunds government taxes and fees in case of a cancellation, even if you are in the penalty period. The tax has not yet been paid because you did not go on the cruise).

Why not give them commission on the whole fare? Why single out $175 as not qualifying for commission?

If some of the revenue ends up going right back out to various agencies (be it fee, tax, bribe, whatever), why pay commission on that?

Frankly, I wouldn't bother trying to understand it. It's simply how things work. It's "none yo bizness" how the commissions are determined, and it's most likely entirely the same all across the board, so if any other TA tried to book that offer, they'd see the same NCF.

Each cruise has a certain amount if Amenity points available. Peak cruising season can have none available (Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Year's) low season can have many to entice groups to book.

If there's not enough for your group, more can be purchased.

Think of the NCF and port fees as hard costs, the commissionable part as the soft cost. When fares go down the hard costs stay the same and the soft get reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Frankly, I wouldn't bother trying to understand it. It's simply how things work. It's "none yo bizness" how the commissions are determined

That's a rather snarky comment. :rolleyes:

I didn't ask what their commission is - I don't care. My question was merely why a small portion of my fare isn't counted in the amount their commissions are based on. And I can certainly try to understand it if I want to! If you can't be helpful then you don't need to post an "answer."

My TA has always shared the NCF with me on her initial Princess invoice.

Yes Pam, exactly the same. Probably since we use at least one of the same TAs.

That's a rather snarky comment. :rolleyes:

I didn't ask what their commission is - I don't care. My question was merely why a small portion of my fare isn't counted in the amount their commissions are based on. And I can certainly try to understand it if I want to! If you can't be helpful then you don't need to post an "answer."

Thank you for bringing up this subject. We were never quite sure of the breakout and why it was done. Question now answered. Thank you.

My TA has always shared the NCF with me on her initial Princess invoice.

We also share a couple of the same TA agencies, but neither breaks it down for me. Just Cruise Fare and Taxes/Fees. Never saw NCF on any of my confirmations.

We also share a couple of the same TA agencies, but neither breaks it down for me. Just Cruise Fare and Taxes/Fees. Never saw NCF on any of my confirmations.

The only time I saw NCF on any cruise line invoice was when my TA was particularly busy on the day rates were released. THey just forwarded me what they had received from the cruise line so that I would have a confirmation in hand to review. Normally, they send a "prettified" one that just shows cruise fare and taxes/fees...as well as insurance, transfers, and any of that stuff.

Ours usually looks like this.

2144493156_Bookingexample.jpg.ffe03347095d269b8186c915c91e0340.jpg