On the Summit right now

JRA1708

She has done it 2 of the last 3 cruises, depends on the traffic. The don't have to be in Bermuda till Wedesday.

Interesting. I realize they have a lot of time until they reach Bermuda but didn't know she gave the extra tour along the way. Have been to Bermuda a few times out of Bayonne (on RCI) and never had this done before. Hopefully she'll do it when we are on board in July. :)

We have done 15 cruises out of Bayonne and only our Summit Canada / New England cruise last September went by the Statue of Liberty. That was Captain Kate's first official sailing where she took over as Captain.

OP have a great cruise and take care of the ship. We sail next Sunday.

Edited by CruisingChick

Not the normal protocol with a schedule to maintain. :confused:

But now she's headed the right direction....

Actually, Celebrity started doing that last year when they leave Bayonne, they get behind Breakaway and sail away. I went last year near Memorial Day and they were not doing it, they then started going around the Statue later in the Summer. I'm on the Summit in two weeks and looking forward to the tour. By the way, this procedure was started just shortly before Captain Kate took over, her predecessor did it first.

Edited by dkjretired

Thanks for the information - that would be a nice touch in July.

We had a similar situation years ago on an RCI Southern Caribbean itinerary when the Captain took the ship into Jalousie Bay upon departure from St. Lucia for a passenger photo op of the Gros and Petite Pitons.

He then cruised close and slowly by Plymouth on Montserrat with a loudspeaker discussion about the destruction caused by the volcanic eruptions between 1995 - 2000.

This was followed by a pass between Nevis and St. Kitts as we continued our return to San Juan, where he proceeded to blow the ship horn several times.

Turned out by his explanation that this was his last cruise before heading on his vacation and he had his family aboard with him, to who he wanted to give a personal sightseeing tour. His brother was on Nevis at the time and the horn was his hello to him.

Quite an interesting addition to our normal itinerary and to our benefit with his family on board. It was one of our favorite cruises as a result. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Interesting. I realize they have a lot of time until they reach Bermuda but didn't know she gave the extra tour along the way. Have been to Bermuda a few times out of Bayonne (on RCI) and never had this done before. Hopefully she'll do it when we are on board in July. :)

Capt Kate won't be onboard in July, but hopefully it's part of the Bayonne departure when it can be done. Incoming weather and other traffic can impact it.

We have done 15 cruises out of Bayonne and only our Summit Canada / New England cruise last September went by the Statue of Liberty. That was Captain Kate's first official sailing where she took over as Captain.

OP have a great cruise and take care of the ship. We sail next Sunday.

Here's a picture from that sailaway to NE/CA, CruisingChick :)

Summit%20sailaway%20Bayonne%209-2015_zpsabmtsw2n.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Not the normal protocol with a schedule to maintain. :confused:

But now she's headed the right direction....

There is plenty of time to get to Bermuda. If she left a day late could still get to Bermuda on schedule. A few weeks ago there was a medical emergency and they docked a day early in Bermuda to evacuate a passenger.

There is plenty of time to get to Bermuda. If she left a day late could still get to Bermuda on schedule. A few weeks ago there was a medical emergency and they docked a day early in Bermuda to evacuate a passenger.

Yes - very much aware of the time to get to Bermuda. As posted before we have done that itinerary several times before. I guess I should have been more clear in terms of the schedule as meaning harbor departure time. I just hadn't seen that before at departure.

Now that it has been explained as a regular occurrence I completely get it and look forward to our upcoming July Summit cruise with the hope that it is done with us as well. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

She has done it 2 of the last 3 cruises, depends on the traffic. The don't have to be in Bermuda till Wedesday.

We used to sail the Zenith out of NYC numerous times and passing Miss Liberty was always a great sight.we are going on the June 12th sailing and hoping good weather and maritime traffic allows the ship to do this. happy sailing everyone. S

We are on Summit as well! Lucky enough to be invited to the helipad sail away party it was fabulous. Hoping the weather picks up. Can anyone explain how this $500 onboard credit works if we book a future cruise?

They do it because it's a selling point for NCL that they leave from Manhattan, giving a great shot on NYC and the statue as they leave.

Shot the Norwegian Gem leaving NYC yesterday from way up high!

27082016592_fbfb5e4604_b.jpg

CaptDave

We are on Summit as well! Lucky enough to be invited to the helipad sail away party it was fabulous. Hoping the weather picks up. Can anyone explain how this $500 onboard credit works if we book a future cruise?

Someone will explain the credit which basically comes it two flavours. Spend or loose it or the other one you can actually can get it back.

Heli-pad brings out the 8 year old in most. It actually isn't the most exciting thing in life but when it happens it's like riding hands free down a hill.

9267454-An-image-of-a-kid-riding-a-bicycle-without-using-his-hands--Stock-Vector.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

how does one get an invite to the sailaway on the Summit helipad? we have sailed her before,5xs and haven't heard of this. we are elite members.do we have to climb a higher ladder? the helipad is cool.On the Explorer we would always do the "Titanic". great photo op.thanx, hit me back.watson 50