can onboard credit be used for gratuities?

We recently sailed NCL and learned that our onboard credit could no longer be used to pay gratuities. A new change they implemented.

We are sailing liberty of the seas in June. I was planning on using the onboard credit to purchase drink packages but with the current 20% discount on alcohol packages, I'm considering using my onboard credit for gratuities and saving some money by buying the drink packages at the discounted rate. I just want to make sure that I will be able to use my onboard credit for gratuities.

We recently sailed NCL and learned that our onboard credit could no longer be used to pay gratuities. A new change they implemented.

We are sailing liberty of the seas in June. I was planning on using the onboard credit to purchase drink packages but with the current 20% discount on alcohol packages, I'm considering using my onboard credit for gratuities and saving some money by buying the drink packages at the discounted rate. I just want to make sure that I will be able to use my onboard credit for gratuities.

The ability to use an OBC for gratuities existed on our March Adventure cruise as that was what we in part used it for. Not aware of any changes that would not allow that now.

As far as I know you can, but not before you get on

Onboard credit is simply a CREDIT towards anything you spend on the ship. OF COURSE it can be used for tips...or ANYTHING charged to your shipboard account.

Per the OP, apparently that's not the case anymore with NCL. Fair question to ask for a first experience on an new cruise line.

• 1 month later...

We just got off Radiance. We learned later in the cruise that there are two types of credits: refundable and non-refundable. You can check your account through your in-room TV. When you purchased the cruise, you were probably told it included on-board (or shipboard) credits. Ours amounted to $150/person. What we weren’t told was you paid that $150. That’s why you can use it for gratuities or whatever because it’s your money. If you don’t use it, you get it back. It’s a ploy to make it look like the cruise line is giving you free money so you spend it. There may be instances where you receive bonus credits. In our case, we received $100/person for booking early, so we had $250/person total. The $100 is non-refundable and probably comes with more restrictions. I'm not sure if gratuities can be paid with non-refundable credits. It appeared like the non-refundable portion is spent down first. Go to Guest Services if you have any questions.

... The $100 is non-refundable and probably comes with more restrictions. I'm not sure if gratuities can be paid with non-refundable credits. ...

Non-refundable credit can be used for gratuities.

That has been our experience in the past. We were surprised that NCl had different types of onboard credit. We had never experienced that before. I wanted to make sure this wasn't a trend across all cruise companies.

the only types of OBC Royal has is refundable and non refundable. Non refundable gets used up first, then refundable. but as been said the actual credit is not used until the last day and they just take it off the bottom line. they do not care what you put on your sea pass account to use it up

• 1 year later...

I registered on this forum just to share my recent NCL experience over OBC with you. We cruised on the Norwegian Star from Venice 2 - 9 July this summer (2017), i. e. Sunday - Sunday.

Now, because we received a fair amount of OBC (USD 315 refundable from the booking agent and USD 500 non-refundable from NCL) with our booking, I tried to figure out whether I could use OBC towards gratitudes. Unfortunately, I found no such information on the NCL home page, so I tried the various forums, including this one. The general consensus then seems to be that OBC can be used against gratitudes.

Then again, this not an official NCL statement, so therefore I went to the front desk onboard the ship to get the "official version" one evening. The lady behind the desk then told me that I could use the refundable OBC for anything I want, whereas the the non-refundable could not be used against the general gratitudes to the whole crew (aka "Service Charge"), but could be used for individual gratitudes to e. g. butler, consierge and cabin steward. Generally speaking, I had no problem with this, and thus planned accordingly.

On the Saturday morning, I therefore went to the front desk to settle the individual gratitudes. The principle seems to be that you pay for "certificates" (charged to your bill), to give to the staff in question. To my astonishment, I was then told that the the non-refundable OBC could not be used for this, which was 180 deg. opposite what I was told on the previous evening. Of course I insisted, but since we couldn't solve the problem (and I couldn't wait any longer), we agreed that a senior official would see me in the restaurant while we were having dinner.

Of course no one showed up, so the next morning I brought the case up again at the front desk. My point is that when you ask an official entrusted with giving such information, then this information is valid, allowing me to plan accordingly. Once again, they said that a more senior official would come to resolve the issue, but with the same result (no one showed up, and then we had to leave for a shore excusion). Of course I could have left it at that, without suffering any financial loss, i. e. forgot about using the OBC at all, and no gratitudes for the consierge and the rest of the team. Clearly an option, but why should they (doing a great job) be punished for the fault of NCL?

In the evening NCL then made the move to try put the whole issue in the hands of the consierge (which is really unfair, since the poor guy is one of those who would suffer), who was clearly instructed to say that it was OK. Having heard this, I got quite upset, and once again returned to the font desk, but this time I didn't leave until a lady with two stripes from "financial" showed up. I once again reiterated the case, stating that this is not a matter of money, but one of principle (a passenger must have the right to trust the information given by an NCL employee entrusted with giving such information). To prove this, I also informed her that it was my intention not only to use the non-refundable OBC for the individual gratitudes (say USD 350 remaining), but also throw in another USD 150 for this purpose (While expecting NCL to stand by their word).

So here we were, in the unlikely situation of my arguing for paying USD 150 more (but for the right persons), instead of just letting the non-refundable OBC expire. Finally, after 1,5 hrs, she gave in and we settled this in accordance with the information given. Truly an amazing situation, which make me wonder:

- Where can this information be obtained from NCL home page?

- In any other company, they would have stood by the information provided by a person assigned to giving such information (if incorrect, then sort it out later, making sure that the same mistake is not repeated, but not backing off on information already provided). Is this NCL policy?

- Why put the conserge (a fine gentleman) in this position, with which he was clearly (and understandably) very uncomfortable?

Sorry for the confusion (and no, you are not snarky at all :)). Perhaps the thread heading was misleading me (not stating any particular line) but the first post in this thread is NCL, isn't it? Being a bit of a newbee on this particular forum, I would for sure appreciate some advice on where then to put my post...