Allergy shots

Not seen this as there are thousands of allergens used in shots. I would recommend you call HAL Seattle and ask for the medical department. You can ask if your MD gave you the vials and a dose schedule if the medical staff could provide the service of filling and administering the shots.

Might be easiest to pass on the shots thru the cruise, especially if a short cruise.

If you are so allergic to many things to the point of dangerous reactions....why has your own doctor not prescribed an epi pen for you? That way that easily dosed epi pen can be given by you for you.That is not something you should count on the ship DR. dealing with. Take your own health in your own hands. I doubt they will do a whole lot for itchy eyes or sniffles but even for that take along allergy meds.

Believe me I do not want my trip detoured or cut short because someone went into anaphylactic episode and did not prepare for such.

Edited by lahlah57
add on

If you are so allergic to many things to the point of dangerous reactions....why has your own doctor not prescribed an epi pen for you? That way that easily dosed epi pen can be given by you for you.That is not something you should count on the ship DR. dealing with. Take your own health in your own hands. I doubt they will do a whole lot for itchy eyes or sniffles but even for that take along allergy meds.

Believe me I do not want my trip detoured or cut short because someone went into anaphylactic episode and did not prepare for such.

Allergy shots aren't for acute reactions. People get them to build up their immune system towards something they are allergic too. Most people get them for either mold, trees, grasses or sometimes pets.

Be aware that an interaction with the ship MD is $100. Medicare will not reimburse this as the ship is considered a foreign country. They will not participate in filing any insurance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

not to my knowledge. I've been getting allergy shots for about 9 years and whenever i travel I'm simply on a pause. sometimes that means you regress a little bit on your treatment, but i always discuss it before i go. when I'm on weekly shots it sucks to miss some, but when I'm up to monthly its not *so* bad.

sorry i had another thought. at my doctor i can't even get my shot if my allergist isn't in the building, incase of a reaction. i don't think my dr would ever release the serums...but if you find out anything different i would be most interested to hear!

sorry i had another thought. at my doctor i can't even get my shot if my allergist isn't in the building, incase of a reaction. i don't think my dr would ever release the serums...but if you find out anything different i would be most interested to hear!

I cannot imagine HAL, or the licensed medical professionals in the medical center being willing to administer allergy shots. There's lots of liability there: first to administer something that could likely cause a reaction (at sea???), and secondly, to give something that has not passed through normal supply channels. How would they really know what they are giving?

It will be interesting to hear how HAL responds to the OP.

Ask your doctor, you might be able to DIY or have your spouse do it.

I give my wife her allergy shots every week. I simply had to get "trained" by a nurse to do the shots. I'm a biochemist and have given animals shots often in the past, so it was no issue for me. My wife carries an Epi pen just in case of an issue. We get 8 weeks of shots at a time and simply bring the required doses with us when we travel.

Ask your doctor, you might be able to DIY or have your spouse do it.

I give my wife her allergy shots every week. I simply had to get "trained" by a nurse to do the shots. I'm a biochemist and have given animals shots often in the past, so it was no issue for me. My wife carries an Epi pen just in case of an issue. We get 8 weeks of shots at a time and simply bring the required doses with us when we travel.

That is a very unusual allergist! I am a nurse practitioner and I am not even allowed to give my own, even if I am at work and we have RNs and paramedics in the office. I can bring the serum to a resort seasonal clinic, but there must be another NP or PA present for me to get my shots. As already stated, epi pens work against severe allergic reaction, so function differently than building up immunity to an allergen.

OP, first ask your allergist if they would release the serum into your care to travel. Then, see if the ship's medical clinic could do that service for you.

School nurses and employee clinics give allergy shots all the time. You certainly would not be advised to give yourself your shots because you would not be able to handle your own emergency should that arise. Start with your allergist for their thoughts.

I cannot imagine HAL, or the licensed medical professionals in the medical center being willing to administer allergy shots. There's lots of liability there: first to administer something that could likely cause a reaction (at sea???), and secondly, to give something that has not passed through normal supply channels. How would they really know what they are giving?

It will be interesting to hear how HAL responds to the OP.

This really demonstrates how life as we know it has changed. I can remember going on road trips with my parents, and my allergy shot stuff being in a cooler in the back of the station wagon. Talk about being outside of "normal supply channels" ;)

School nurses and employee clinics give allergy shots all the time. You certainly would not be advised to give yourself your shots because you would not be able to handle your own emergency should that arise. Start with your allergist for their thoughts.

1) Standard of care dictates that one may only receive an allergy injection in a setting where there is a licensed medical provider with facilities set up to treat an allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)

2) It is theoretically possible to receive an allergy injection in the medical infirmary, but it would be quite costly, with no reimbursement from your medical insurance

3) Individuals on Immunotherapy can go for a short period of time without their scheduled allergy injection.

Advice:

Leave your injections home. Take your allergy and asthma medications with you and take them as directed. Enjoy the cruise.

Just to add to a comment from Cabinluvin

I agree, the HAL medical services will not interact with insurance companies for onboard treatment. However, they do provide a very appropriate summary of information which YOU then submit to your insurance company. In my experience this has worked flawlessly IF it is something your insurance covers when you are away from home.

The problem with filing insurance one you get home is this: the form you sign at the ship's medical center says they will not have any notes or information to give you or send to your insurance. It is hard to file insurance for treatment when the only record you have is the charge on your ship account

The problem with filing insurance one you get home is this: the form you sign at the ship's medical center says they will not have any notes or information to give you or send to your insurance. It is hard to file insurance for treatment when the only record you have is the charge on your ship account

Every passenger is given an account detailing all services and the cost of each service. It is signed by the MD and you can submit it to your insurance company when you get home. You cannot usually submit a claim for OTC products. I'm also not sure that an insurance company will reimburse for something like allergy shots but you would have to check. I have beentold by pax that they cannot claim for their INR checks as they are a pre existing condition. I haven't given allergy shots onboard but for B12 shots you have to have a consult with the MD that involves a charge. There is also an injection fee

Terry

We were not given a written account of the care given to my husband. He was given cursory physical consisting of listening to his heart and checking his temp and blood pressure. He had a tooth abscess developing and we were in contact with his dentist in our hometown. The dentist advised he contact the ship MD and request antibiotics, which we did. The bill was $100 for the MD and $90 for generic antibiotics that would have cost $20 at Walmart without any insurance. The print out said that the ship was considered a foreign country and no progress notes of any kind would be available for filing of insurance.

Every passenger is given an account detailing all services and the cost of each service. It is signed by the MD and you can submit it to your insurance company when you get home. You cannot usually submit a claim for OTC products. I'm also not sure that an insurance company will reimburse for something like allergy shots but you would have to check. I have beentold by pax that they cannot claim for their INR checks as they are a pre existing condition. I haven't given allergy shots onboard but for B12 shots you have to have a consult with the MD that involves a charge. There is also an injection fee

Terry

I'm assuming you have worked as a ships Medical Officer. (Perhaps an RN?)

Did the Medical Center provide the Vitamin B12 from their stocks (or did the pax bring it aboard?)

You don't usually need progress notes. As a pax I never have and I've submitted about 5 claims. All I've needed is the signed medical bill. However if you do need more you can ask for a copy of the chart before you disembark

Terry