The Myth of the Royal Cheerleader

The more I spend time on this board lately, the more I'm convinced that certain people just want to promote the idea that this is a place filled with "cheerleaders" who think Royal Caribbean can do no wrong. They either believe, or want to make others believe, that you can't say anything at all negative about RC without being "attacked" or "flamed" or "shot down" . . .

I see that as an false myth that gets perpetuated, negatively affecting the board as a whole. Now, it is certainly true that the occasional poster is a bit too one-sided, but in general, most people who argue or dispute someone's complaint only do so when they believe the complaint is unwarranted or overblown.

Most of us who have sailed RC a number of times have had some complaints here and there - some minor, and some more significant. And those who share their negative comments don't necessarily get met with much opposition. A couple recent examples include:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357969

(This one had a few predictions of backlash toward the OP, but they didn't really come true.)

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2346266&highlight=serenade

So, just curious about others' thoughts. Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize? Is that mostly myth? Or is it somewhere in the middle. I see a poster getting overly hostile from time to time, but more often than not, when that happens, the thread gets derailed by people shouting down that person for being too hostile. (I usually find it better to ignore and move on.)

Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize? Is that mostly myth? Or is it somewhere in the middle.

It's an ANONYMOUS message board full of hyperbole and alarmist remarks on both sides interspersed with a sad small minority who actually believe it's some sort of "community".

People are free to share their thoughts. Even when their thoughts are that someone else is an idiot and their observations are stupid. They can't tell their coworkers and family members what they really think, so they come here and let loose.

Don't get me wrong, this can be a good source of information. I use it regularly for factual information. But the pontificating opinions here mean little.

Edited by leisuretraveler223

If you want entertainment value on this front go to the DisBoards, where "fans" debate and discuss all things Disney.

For better or worse, I think any company that has done well enough to earn a following of some kind can generate polar opinions on boards and in general. At some point people care enough to feel invested and entitled to express an opinion one way or another and those with opposing views feel compelled to respond. I guess it's the best and worst of brand loyalty.

The more I spend time on this board lately, the more I'm convinced that certain people just want to promote the idea that this is a place filled with "cheerleaders" who think Royal Caribbean can do no wrong. They either believe, or want to make others believe, that you can't say anything at all negative about RC without being "attacked" or "flamed" or "shot down" . . .

I see that as an false myth that gets perpetuated, negatively affecting the board as a whole. Now, it is certainly true that the occasional poster is a bit too one-sided, but in general, most people who argue or dispute someone's complaint only do so when they believe the complaint is unwarranted or overblown.

Most of us who have sailed RC a number of times have had some complaints here and there - some minor, and some more significant. And those who share their negative comments don't necessarily get met with much opposition. A couple recent examples include:

(This one had a few predictions of backlash toward the OP, but they didn't really come true.)

and

So, just curious about others' thoughts. Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize? Is that mostly myth? Or is it somewhere in the middle. I see a poster getting overly hostile from time to time, but more often than not, when that happens, the thread gets derailed by people shouting down that person for being too hostile. (I usually find it better to ignore and move on.)

I can think of only one or two who love to throw around the derisive cheerleader comment, but those are VERY frequent and relentless posters.

In other words, Paul, I agree with you.

:)

and

I think it's like anything else - Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge....vanilla or chocolate....is ketchup allowed on a hot dog or mustard only.....yeast donuts vs cake donuts.....Glock vs Sig vs Springfield, etc. A lot of people tend to have their favorite or preference and in some cases will staunchly defend their preference. I have only been on one Royal cruise, and several Carnival cruises, but I can't make a fair comparison between them. Why? Because I am not in the position to be able to afford to cruise every year, let alone several times per year. Things have changed over the years nearly across the board. Based on my past experiences and memories of Carnival, I prefer my most recent cruise on RCI. RCI certainly didn't blow me away. They provided a good cruise experience at a reasonable cost, but wasn't perfect. That said, I never had a bad cruise on Carnival either. They also provided a good experience at the time (and again, I have no recent Carnival cruises to make an accurate current comparison). I liked the design and decor of the Royal Caribbean ships a bit more, as well as some of the cabin options for families (it gets a bit difficult with 5 people and simply cannot afford two cabins or a large suite). Would I sail Carnival again? Probably. Will I sail RCI again? Definitely. RCI simply offered a product that appealed to me just a bit more than Carnival did. That said, I don't think either cruise line is perfect. If someone has a bad experience with them, that was their experience and I won't defend the company against a legitimate concern.

What I find so interesting about the people who like to label others as cheerleaders is that they keep cruising. And apparently on Royal Caribbean.

For the most part, everyone who "disagrees" with a negative post are pointing out that 1) every cruise line is the same, or 2) whatever happened to the complainer hasn't happened to them. There are other posts that don't seem to like inflammatory posts about RCI- as they seem pointless or something like that.

And across the board, there are people who claim all of those counter points are cheerleaders.

So if something DIDN'T happen to me, and I've cruised a lot, should I not post that reply to someone who had an issue about something that I am aware of??? Seems ok to pile on being negative, but not ok to point out that the issue was an not common.

Or perhaps you have some insight explaining why something appears bad, but it's just the way things are handled- one can not explain for a big corporation...

Anyway, if cruising is so bad that you must accuse any positive posts of being cheerleaders- why are you spending your time and money cruising? I just don't get it.

Or just as importantly- if you have stopped cruising, why are you still here?

I think the cheerleaders are kind of like family members who can criticize their siblings, but if you criticize that same sibling, they get all outraged.

If someone posts a strong, polarizing opinion, they are going to get strong opinions in response. However, to answer your question, there are people who over respond to normal, routine complaints or comments. I feel those are isolated responses by individuals. If anything I feel the boards have become more civilized ovet the last year, which is why I have become a more frequent poster than in the past. I have also resolved not to read threads that push my buttons because all they do is annoy me.

I also agree that because this is an anonymous board people feel free to be less polite than they might be face to face.

I think it's like anything else - Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge....vanilla or chocolate....is ketchup allowed on a hot dog or mustard only.....yeast donuts vs cake donuts.....Glock vs Sig vs Springfield, etc. A lot of people tend to have their favorite or preference and in some cases will staunchly defend their preference. I have only been on one Royal cruise, and several Carnival cruises, but I can't make a fair comparison between them. Why? Because I am not in the position to be able to afford to cruise every year, let alone several times per year. Things have changed over the years nearly across the board. Based on my past experiences and memories of Carnival, I prefer my most recent cruise on RCI. RCI certainly didn't blow me away. They provided a good cruise experience at a reasonable cost, but wasn't perfect. That said, I never had a bad cruise on Carnival either. They also provided a good experience at the time (and again, I have no recent Carnival cruises to make an accurate current comparison). I liked the design and decor of the Royal Caribbean ships a bit more, as well as some of the cabin options for families (it gets a bit difficult with 5 people and simply cannot afford two cabins or a large suite). Would I sail Carnival again? Probably. Will I sail RCI again? Definitely. RCI simply offered a product that appealed to me just a bit more than Carnival did. That said, I don't think either cruise line is perfect. If someone has a bad experience with them, that was their experience and I won't defend the company against a legitimate concern.

Glock = Carnival...Sig = Royal Caribbean. :D

People have preferences. Whether it be sports, teams, social activities or cruising. When they observe unwarranted attacks or criticism of one of their favorites they are inclined to defend that interest. So, it is generally just fine to be critical of or question something Royal does. Truthful and objective posts are seldom greeted with attacks by Royal fans.

It seems to be a common thread in some of the infrequent cruisers posts that they are critical of Royal and get apoplectic when they view a Pinnacle pin. Whether they have another cruise line as their favorite or just envy accomplishments of any kind - who knows, who cares.

People have preferences. Whether it be sports, teams, social activities or cruising. When they observe unwarranted attacks or criticism of one of their favorites they are inclined to defend that interest. So, it is generally just fine to be critical of or question something Royal does. Truthful and objective posts are seldom greeted with attacks by Royal fans.

It seems to be a common thread in some of the infrequent cruisers posts that they are critical of Royal and get apoplectic when they view a Pinnacle pin. Whether they have another cruise line as their favorite or just envy accomplishments of any kind - who knows, who cares.

Thanks, but I don't really care what you pompous Pinnacle types have to say.

(Relax; that was just a joke. ;) )

I think a lot of people, like me, tend to accentuate the positive where their cruises are concerned and become mislabeled as "Cheerleaders". I cannot think of a vacation, of any kind, where there wasn't a glitch of some sort. Some people will use those glitches, unfortunately, to make their cruises seem like the worst in the world, and anyone who challenges their thoughts are cheerleaders. Sometimes these comments, as they go back and forth, are entertaining. They do get tiring after a while.

We have become, primarily, RCI cruisers because we like the brand more than the rest. That doesn't make us cheerleaders. We still intend to cruise Princess again, and try out other lines, as well.

The best thing was the thread where I got called a Royal Cheerleader and a Royal Hater within the span of about 2 dozen posts.

People love to name call and they love to diminish the opinions of others by lumping that person into what they consider a derogatory group.

"Oh you're just a LIBERAL! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CONSERVATIVE! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CHEERLEADER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a HATER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a FERNHIZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a BEBOZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

Really, it doesn't matter what word you put in there. You are just using that sort of statement to categorically dismiss their entire view and promote your own.

It doesn't matter what the person says, you just want them to shut up and everyone else to agree with you.

What? "...when they view a pinnacle pin." Really? Strange comment-- who even notices those little things?

The best thing was the thread where I got called a Royal Cheerleader and a Royal Hater within the span of about 2 dozen posts.

People love to name call and they love to diminish the opinions of others by lumping that person into what they consider a derogatory group.

"Oh you're just a LIBERAL! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CONSERVATIVE! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CHEERLEADER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a HATER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a FERNHIZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a BEBOZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

Really, it doesn't matter what word you put in there. You are just using that sort of statement to categorically dismiss their entire view and promote your own.

It doesn't matter what the person says, you just want them to shut up and everyone else to agree with you.

Good point. I'm pretty middle of the road, politically, so I've been called both a "libtard" and a "neocon" (and various other slurs toward either side) many times in political discussions. I've even been called a misogynist for not agreeing that all school dress codes are inherently sexist.

Never been called a fernhizzler, though. I think that might just be a step too far.

Ive used the term before but I actually hate it now, think its way overused and try to avoid it at all costs now. There are one or two members here that will attack at the least little criticism of RC whatsoever. On the other hand, there are one or two members who throw the cheerleader card every time they get a chance.

Your post is a good one Paul. Hopefully it stays civil and is allowed to stay. If I use the term again, please, throw something at me :cool:

Good point. I'm pretty middle of the road, politically, so I've been called both a "libtard" and a "neocon" (and various other slurs toward either side) many times in political discussions. I've even been called a misogynist for not agreeing that all school dress codes are inherently sexist.

Never been called a fernhizzler, though. I think that might just be a step too far.

Fernhizzler... that's basically the worst thing you can be called! HAHAHA

Yeah, it really doesn't matter what a person gets labeled when it's done to dismiss their point of view. WHICH, I should point out, is completely different than just not agreeing with a point of view.

Example:

I don't particularly care for the vegan lifestyle. I don't agree that it's a good way to live and I don't go for it. I can dislike something without dismissing it. "Yeah, that's not my thing. Love eating meat and cheese!" isn't "Whatever you vegan, whatever you said doesn't matter." As I still respect that a vegan doesn't like my choices and doesn't go for how I live.

I don't even like when someone raves about a product or company and believes that company can do no wrong (we recently discussed this with some friends about Apple over dinner) but to categorically dismiss all their statements because I've labeled them something is the problem. I also dislike when someone rants about a product or company purely because they won't ever like something.

I don't even like when someone raves about a product or company and believes that company can do no wrong (we recently discussed this with some friends about Apple over dinner) but to categorically dismiss all their statements because I've labeled them something is the problem. I also dislike when someone rants about a product or company purely because they won't ever like something.

Ha! Yes, Apple is a good example, as there seems to be some die-hard Apple fans and die-hard Apple haters. I have a friend with whom we jokingly throw around some of those insults, because he's more of an Apple person, and I'm more of a PC/Android person. But we just do it in good fun.

Edited by Paul65

Ive used the term before but I actually hate it now, think its way overused and try to avoid it at all costs now. There are one or two members here that will attack at the least little criticism of RC whatsoever.

LOL- this reminds me of my last cruise, on Adventure... My DH and I were in the elevator, and came across 4 people with CC card holders around their necks, talking about the cruise. I mentioned, in a joking manner, that "This is a great ship, but you can definitely tell it's ready for a dry dock". One of them looked at me angerly and said "What do you mean". I was caught off guard by the anger in her voice... I said "Well, there are same areas showing wear, and there is that bad smell everywhere." She started arguing with me about the smell. I was super confused by the level of her anger...

Seriously, how could they not smell it? There were several hallways and and public areas that had a pretty bad sewer smell- I've never experienced that many stinky places on a ship before!

Also, while the ship was overall nice, a couple of the public spaces were showing definite signs of wear.

I'm generally an upbeat person, and try to make the best of every cruise. However, I'm not offended by occasional realistic negative comments... I was just so shocked that these random strangers would get so mad at me for making a casual, slightly negative comment.

I may be one of the people everyone is talking about…I have said a poster is a “cheerleader” a few times. I try, but may not be consistent, to only do so when someone is completely dismissing a complaint as either being over something petty or by saying the OP cannot possibly be truthful because they have been on the ship several times and never experienced the same thing (usually those that take this position are at least D+ and you often see them commenting about suite benefits...but not exclusively).

First, just because YOU think something is petty doesn’t mean everyone on the planet thinks it’s petty…and it isn’t your place to decide what is important to other people. Most of the world may agree with you, but that is completely irrelevant. If it is important to the person making a complaint, then it is important for THAT conversation. If it is that petty to you, why disagree? Move on.

Second, does the person in the suite (who is also in one of the highest loyalty levels) really think their experience on a ship will be remotely the same as someone staying in an inside cabin one deck above the engine (as an example…cabin may not actually exist for passengers)? I would be willing to bet a significant amount that ANY cruise line would put their best servicing the people paying thousands to be on the ship rather that servicing someone paying a few hundred dollars. Trying to compare the two experiences is like comparing prunes and truffles (in my opinion).

All that said…I agree that some use it at the slightest hint of disagreement. Sometimes that may be authentic, sometimes it may be facetious. If they don’t use a smiley face, it can be hard to tell the difference.

Be forewarned, when I see these situations I may play the “cheerleader card”. You may think that isn’t fair, but whoever told you that life would be fair lied to you.

If that offends someone, I apologize in advance. You can dismiss me and move on, block me or convince the “powers to be” on CC to delete my account and block my IP address. Whatever option you choose, I will survive and continue on with my life. :cool:

Edited by TC1957