Freedom of the Seas - Interior Room recommendations

Hi everyone! My first post on cruisecritic. We are planning our second cruise (first on RCI) on the Freedom of the Seas Western Med in June 2017 and wondering if there is a preferential deck or better placement of room that I should be looking at prior to booking. I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

I can't recommend a specific room, but this is what I look for:

Lower decks and toward the middle - I get sea sick very easily and find the lower decks better than the upper for me.

I also look for cabins above and below to help lessen the noise. If you can't get that option, look for low traffic options above/below. Like I try not to choose anything under the pool deck or around a lounge where I might hear the music vibrations. We were under a lounge one time and heard the bass from the music at all hours. :eek:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My only preference would be to stay away from deck 10, as this is right under the pool deck as has potential for noise from above.

When we do interior rooms, I usually preferred the ones that are higher and closer to the middle, because I find I feel the motion more near the front. It also means the pool deck and/or promenade are reachable by the stairs.

Freedom and other ships in its class also offer promenade rooms. Which is an interior room with a window looking over the promenade shops in the middle of the ship. Some people think it is worth a few extra $ for that, some don't. You can use the search function on this web page to find lots of discussion about that.

Also when looking at the deck plans, look for "white space" around the inside cabins. Sometimes this is staff storage space and they will be going in/out of these spaces often (alot of doors opening/closing.)

My personal favorites are deck 7 aft in the center corridor behind the library. This is a super quiet hallway with direct access to the back of the library through emergency doors. I always feel like the library is my living room and I book these cabins whenever possible.

Several thoughts:

- Stay away from connecting rooms (unless, of course, you're trying to connect to other people in your party). You really can hear other people through the door.

- Someone above talked about rooms near "white space" on the deck plans -- that was good advice. I had a hotel room once that shared a wall with the laundry: thump - thump - thump all night long. Thank goodness it was only one night.

- As for noise, I have never been under the pool, but I have been under the Windjammer, and I've never heard a thing.

- I personally like to be towards the back of the ship, somewhere near the stairs. This location makes it easy to walk straight up to the buffet or to the pool. However, I wouldn't say no to a room elsewhere -- we've been alllll the way up front, and that location has no negatives; it's just that other locations have better positives.

- I've never found any difference at all in terms of excessive motion /likelihood of seasickness in different parts of the ship. Regardless, you're going to be out of your room most of your waking hours, so IF you're afflicted by seasickness, you're going to take meds anyway.

- If more than two people are sharing your stateroom, you might look for a room fairly near a public bathroom (or near the gym, where showers are located).

- I love the suggestion about choosing a room near the library -- the library is empty most of the day, so it would be a great place to "expand" your living area. Obviously you can't sit around in your pajamas, but it's a place for one person to go sit and read, etc.

Edited by MrsPete

My personal favorites are deck 7 aft in the center corridor behind the library. This is a super quiet hallway with direct access to the back of the library through emergency doors. I always feel like the library is my living room and I book these cabins whenever possible.

I agree on this area also.

We just returned home from our May 22nd sailing on the Freedom. My husband and I had stateroom 8323 which is an inside promenade room close to the aft elevators on deck 8. We really liked this room! We didn't hear any noise at all from the promenade downstairs or even the parades they had. It is a connecting room and we could hear a little bit from the neighbors but nothing too terribly loud. I would stay in this room again in a heartbeat!

Hi everyone! My first post on cruisecritic. We are planning our second cruise (first on RCI) on the Freedom of the Seas Western Med in June 2017 and wondering if there is a preferential deck or better placement of room that I should be looking at prior to booking. I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

We are pool people and hit the windjammer a lot. As a result we go to decks 9 and 10. If you are older and less mobile decks 4 and 5 may suit you being closer to dining rooms, theaters and the promenade.

I would stay away from deck 3 as I believe the ice rink placement limits being able to walk from one end of the floor straight to the other end. If your cabin is on 3 at one end, and your dining room is at the other end, you cannot simply walk down the hall. If I am incorrect, I am sure others will let me know :D

m

• 3 weeks later...
We, too, prefer being only 1 or 2 flights from pool and WJ...we spend the majority of daytime hours at the pool....makes it easy to avoid those slooooooow elevators!

Even if the elevators were more speedy, most of us benefit from taking the stairs as often as possible!

Ahoy Mateys...

We booked two inside cabins on deck 9, # 9495 & 9499.

There are in the inner hallway very close to the aft cabins.

We did not hear any noise, and loved the cabins.

There are cabins above you and below you. We didn't think that it would be a good area, but we quickly changed our minds once we were in them. Below is the link to deck 9 layout..

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/images/fleet/decks/main/fr/2016%20May/fr_deck09_v2016_may.gif

Edited by Parrotheadtoo

I would stay away from deck 3 as I believe the ice rink placement limits being able to walk from one end of the floor straight to the other end. If your cabin is on 3 at one end, and your dining room is at the other end, you cannot simply walk down the hall. If I am incorrect, I am sure others will let me know :D

m

No, you are correct. This is true for both deck 3 and 2. Just got off FOS last Sunday after a b2b. We actually tried a deck 2 midway between main elevators and aft. Could not believe how quiet the room was and how little motion and vibration we felt. Just turned Dimond so we've had inside rooms on several decks with RCL. I would do deck 2 again in a heartbeat. The funny thing was that getting an elevator was relatively easy!