Disembarking the oasis. Two words never again.

We have learned over the years to get away from the ship as early as possible. We don't do self-assist, but try to get as low a luggage tag number as possible. We normally don't get high numbered tags anymore, but when we did, I would ask the stateroom attendant (or Guest Services) for a lower number and usually be accommodated.

We don't do self assist, nor have we used the valet program yet. As Bob said, if the number we are assigned is too high we just ask our cabin attendant for a lower number with no problem.

...we're Diamond and that doesn't get you off the ship any faster. We were number 31 for disembarkation told we would be off the ship by 9:20 for a 2:15 flight....

Sorry you had a bad day. And just for others who may be reading this part, as a Diamond member, you would know that you could have easily exchanged your disembarkation number for a lower one. Even with a 2:15 flight, I would not have wanted a number as high as 31. Your cabin steward or Guest Services can give you a lower number so you don't cut it so close.

With the TSA lines these days, I would want to be off the ship earlier rather than later. :)

Oasis and Allure 3 times. We just take our own luggage and leave early.Avoid all the mess going out. Never had one single problem ever coming or going.

Things happen and that is part of traveling.

The cruise lines bend over back wards to get you on the ship and spend your

money. LOL

I did feel in N.J. they were rude getting guests off the ship in Feb. Raining and snowing outside. It was like don't let the door hit you in the behind going out .

No real place to wait for a car or taxi . People wanted to go back in to get out of the nasty weather and the guards said no. Wait in the nasty weather. People in wheel chairs were sitting in the rain waiting for their pickups.Shame on RC for letting this happen ,

But Fla. was well organized. I won't ever go back to N.J. in the winter.

Just off today. We walked off at 6:45am and it took a full hour to clear customs and be in a cab. In general, I thought that was long for self-assist. My in laws had tags that were supposed to be called at 9:30am and at 10:45 were still waiting on the ship. We were glad to be at FT. L airport early though as the crowds and lines only seemed to increase throughout the morning. Our flight had 30 min delay due to weather.

We've disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale 3 times, including once off the Oasis, and haven't experienced any problems at all. We've used Luggage Valet for the 11:45 flight we like, and found that's well worth it and really makes disembarking less stressful. We have Global Entry and so are TSA Pre-Check...we're usually sitting in the United Club killing time by 9:00.

Edited by Cindy

Off the Oasis in Fort Lauderdale last September in 35 minutes for a group of 11. Half of us used luggage valet and the other half didn't, and I was the only one that had Global Entry. We disembarked at 8am and by the time the last of our group came out of CBP it was 8:35.....not too shabby IMO!

I will admit that disembarking from the OASIS on May7th was my worst disembark yet out of 4 from the same port (Twice Oasis and Twice Allure).

There was zero organization. I found that if you were assertive enough you could work your way through though. Probably took us about an hour.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

Put your bags outside your stateroom on the last night, and the next time you see them is at your destination airport.

Now THIS excites me! Thanks for the information (as always :)). I was unaware of this and am very happy I asked. Going to make things so much easier. WHOOT WHOOT.

Only referring to disembarkation right now. Just some facts, we're Diamond and that doesn't get you off the ship any faster. We were number 31 for disembarkation told we would be off the ship by 9:20 for a 2:15 flight. At about 10:30 we finally walked off with group 26. Then over an hour in the sea of people and bags in the customs hall with 4 yes only 4 lines open for 6400 pax. It's now 12:00 noon and we just arrived at the airport. I had my feet run over by wheel chairs and luggage and fights almost broke out with people cutting in line. Unless they figure out a way to deal with a ship this size we will not do this again. Other than that we had a enjoyed ourselves. The ship is amazing but very different from anything else we've experienced.

Oh and the last 24 hrs were spent in our cabin with stomach bug. Not usual Noro symptoms just a lot of stomach pain and chills. Our Diamond lounge concierge had the same thing. Very painful. Saw them disinfecting everywhere so something was going around.

We consider ourselves lucky though it could have been worse. [emoji16]

Want to add we had a wonderful room att. Ricky, and fab waiter Ravi. All of the staff were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let's be clear, some of what you describe that resulted in a slow disembarking process is the Port Authority not Royal. If they don't have enough workers, it is slower. If people called out or took vacation (they are allowed) on a holiday weekend or any other time, it will be slower.

From what others have said, and even our own experience on Allure a few years ago, you had an usual morning disembarking the ship....if you don't like the ship herself, don't sail on her again.

Sorry you were sick the last day of your cruise, but that happens and if it had happened to others the staff was trying to minimize the outbursts of illness as best they could. Royal doesn't start a cruise saying....lets have this sailing have an outbreak of a stomach ailment.

I will admit that disembarking from the OASIS on May7th was my worst disembark yet out of 4 from the same port (Twice Oasis and Twice Allure).

There was zero organization. I found that if you were assertive enough you could work your way through though. Probably took us about an hour.

That was our sailing too, and I have to agree with you. Part of our problem was that we were staying in a Junior Suite (two couples). Embarkation was wonderful, separate check-in and waiting area. When we got off there were signs for suite guests so we showed our cards and were directed to a suite dedicated escalator and luggage area. Our luggage was actually on the other side of the terminal. They let us get our luggage and bring it back to the dedicated suite custom line but two out of the four personnel guarding the suite line didn't know what was going on. They let our friend's wife get in that line but didn't want to let the rest of us in.

I saw several other passengers clutching their blue sea pass cards also heading out to find their luggage amongst the masses. I think this was the first sailing with the new Royal Class. I guess JS is considered suite during embarkation but not debarkation. The regular line was huge at 9:30 and was disorganized. We were thankful that they finally let us go thru suite customs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

Put your bags outside your stateroom on the last night, and the next time you see them is at your destination airport.

Be advised there is a charge for this. I'm not sure, but I think it was $20.00 per bag or per person. I wish we had used this service even though I think it's a shame you now have to pay to avoid the mess we went through.

Be advised there is a charge for this. I'm not sure, but I think it was $20.00 per bag or per person. I wish we had used this service even though I think it's a shame you now have to pay to avoid the mess we went through.

You are correct, $20 per person.

It doesn't apply for flights to Canada, so we couldn't use it in Feb.

We were B4B on Allure Jan/Feb and there were disembarking issues on them but it was mainly due to the Port and the # of Officers to process the passengers. Not RCL.

Also, some passengers that were to report at 5 AM to be processed First- as they got on in a different port-Falmouth?- due to airline problems or weather, did not report on time!

That caused a Big mess that day for our B2B, not to mention the disembarking passengers. There can be many reasons why it is bad and so we always book any air after noon time to be sure we can make the plane.

Just wanted to add to the discussion. We were on the Oasis cruise that ended yesterday as well and we did the self disembarkation, very early and it was 50 minutes from the first step in line to sitting in the cab. We decided to skip breakfast and go straight to the line. It was already sizeable when we got in line at 6:33 am. It constantly moved and was quite organized. BTW, I counted and there were 6 customs agents around 7:10-7:15 when we passed through customs.

I am curious as to what happens as it gets later? I understand that more people in line means longer times but why does it suddenly get disorganized? Why would customs reduce the number of agents later in the morning?

We left early because we had heard the horror stories and just wanted to wait at the airport instead of on the ship. But we would have liked to have eaten together one last time (our son was flying out of terminal 2 and we were in terminal 1) but we were gun shy. We were nervous about finding a cab but there were plenty when we got out there. Have you ever found a shortage of cabs later in the morning?

We walked off the Oasis within 45 minutes got in line@6am and in the cab by 6:45 on Saturday. we were nervous about our 10:30 flight from Ft. Lauderdale we are thankful everything worked out. I agree with the OP I'd rather be in the airport waiting than standing in the long lines to get off the ship. I

We walked off Oasis and were in the car in about 20-30 minutes. When we were on Allure, it was about the same. The only holdups we witnessed were people acting cocky with the Customs Agents. Don't treat them like servants, or they will teach you a lesson. And unfortunately, the line will come to a screeching halt.

Don't let others opinions sway you too much. You have done your research, you know there are more positive opinions of this ship than there are negative. Keep an open mind and enjoy your cruise. Just come back and tell us your experiences! We just got off that ship 3 weeks ago and it was our best cruise to date!

Ditto! Except for us it was 4 weeks, so I guess we got off in a nice orderly fashion so you could get on!. 4 great cruises out of this port now with 4 perfect embarkations and 4 perfect trips home. Sadly, it will likely be 3 years before I am back again.