Regent more like 3* than 6

We were on the Mariner in 2014 , have booked a B2B on the Navigator this year. We usually have a PH booking. When you are on the ship you get the same service regardless of your suite, you do not get areas / lounges not for you, restaurant tables are the same, no one is bothered if you are from the master suite or H category. Excursions are a mix of all, food portions not graded for size/ quality. Cunard still operates like the Titanic( from the film) with different grills for first / steerage. The high enders do not mix, last time on the Mariner we were in PHc 902 next to the master suite, no class system here, regularly met up in the observation lounge bar.

You can accuse Regent of a lot but not a class system.

You're either not referring to Regent then or haven't sailed on them in a long time. Either way you're factually incorrect. Regent now (and for a number of years) has had a class system based on suite choice.

Can you elaborate on this? On five cruises we have never been aware of a class system. Sure, spend more money, get a larger cabin and a butler, but other than that I'm not aware of other perks. Perhaps we are blissfully ignorant as Regent serfs!

You're either not referring to Regent then or haven't sailed on them in a long time. Either way you're factually incorrect. Regent now (and for a number of years) has had a class system based on suite choice.

We have sailed on Regent a number of times in the last few years in various suite levels

We must have missed something as we were not aware of any areas of the ship, events, excursions or dining that were only available to specific categories

We have also met fellow cruisers from various social classes, but was not aware that Regent allocated suites on this basis :eek: :D...............although they might make an exception for those wearing jeans after 6pm :rolleyes:

Agree with the other posters - I haven't seen a class system at all. Nothing off limits to us lowly denizens of the unnamed suites...

Oooh - wait - don't we have priority dining and excursion reservations for Concierge and above - is that it?

...although they might make an exception for those wearing jeans after 6pm :rolleyes:

Flossie - what if they're not 'jeans' but 'custom-tailored lower garments skillfully crafted from the finest serge de Nîmes fabric tinted with the deepest indigo dyes from the subtropical Indian I. tinctoria plant' instead? Would THAT be acceptable after 6:00 PM?? :p

I keep saying I'm going to try another line just so I can make a fair comparison, but frankly, I agree with some others on here that Regent has a product that suits my tastes so why shop elsewhere? We were looking for an autumn getaway next year and were seriously considering Regent's London-London in September. I looked through the competitor's websites and honestly, I didn't see anything I liked better. And besides, another 10-day cruise will kick us over to Gold, so unless I find a really nice itinerary, I'm sticking with Regent.

I'm not a fan of the smaller cabins, nor fixed seating, nor formal nights (they can be fun, but on MY schedule), nor the a la carte pricing. I keep shopping around, and I keep coming back to Regent.

I totally agree. After 7 Regent cruises and 3 more booked, I can't imagine going elsewhere. BUT, I do appreciate the criticisms - I hope that they keep Regent on its toes. I focus my complaints on their website - did notice that the Spring 2018 Explorer crossing is priced in AUS$!

My signature shows 'sailed', but we are on Navigator. I am meeting with the GM later to discuss my concerns. I'll keep you posted.

Are we on the same cruise Tim?

Having a blast, staff is great and friendly. Yes portions are small (which is good) so we can order a second one if we like,

more later

:-)

Emperor Norton - guess we don't need to debate after all. Others have made my point:) IMO, the "benefits" a passengers receives for being in an upper suite is invisible to other passengers.

Being unable to book a tour or make a dining reservation is invisible? You people have a very strange definition of "invisible".

Benefits based solely on cabin selection:

Priority online shore excursion reservations

Priority online Prime 7 and Signatures dining reservations

or for more money spent

Guaranteed reservation each night in specialty restaurant of your choice

I recognize from your posts that you are not a fan of Regent. But as someone who only books an H gty the above statements are not true.

I am afforded priority online excursion reservations and dining reservations based upon the # of days I have sailed, not based upon my suite selection.

Being unable to book a tour or make a dining reservation is invisible? You people have a very strange definition of "invisible".

or for more money spent

In anyone's language this is a very weak demonstration of a 'class system' and, IMO, it is misleading to state that those opting for a basic suite are 'unable to book a tour or make a dining reservation'

will try to post more about my impressions later. If there is one thing which doesn't work as it should is the internet...even close to midnight, speed it ...slow as we are used to. I don't see/eel/realize any improvements.

Took a few pics of the new refurbishments and rooms and will post when I have access to faster internet.

Overall, it's a great experience again, staff is friendly and helpful as before, a lot of new staff though with less experience, but all are working hard to catch up.

More later

or for more money spent

Obviously my definition of "invisible" is different than yours. Let me give you an example:

Regent: You may book shore excursions and dining reservations early, however, unless you tell someone that you did, who would know? Once you walk out of your suite, everyone is treated the same and others do not know (or care) what level suite you are in.

Oceania: Pre-boarding based on level of suite you have booked. Lines clearly marked so that you know what line you are permitted to go in. Also, you may be given a boarding time of 11:00 a.m. in top suites and 3:00 p.m. in lower suites. While you may be able to get on earlier than 3:00 p.m., there is no guarantee. Also, there are two "lounges" on the Riviera and Marina o- one for PH and above and one for Concierge. Note: The lounges are not as nice as the Coffee Connection on Regent and the food offered is minimal (of course, no alcohol is offered).

Hope Franzr is right and English Tim is wrong as we have just made a last minute booking on Navigator for a cruise in a couple of weeks.. This is our first cruise with Regent for fifteen months. Nothing wrong with them - one of our two favourites together with Seabourn - but Regent itineraries were not right for us when we wanted to cruise. We like what has been said about the Navigator's upgrade, look forward to the new decor and the new wine list - could Tim or Franz please post a copy on this thread. Just hope their coffee grains and beans are better quality than on our last few cruises with Regent- a big plus for Seabourn in this regard.

We have sailed a lot with Regent and have never noticed a "class" system. Must not be confused with the amenities that vary according to suite level or benefits according to category in the Seven Seas Society. Nothing secret about these as they are all fully explained in the main brochures. Travelcat2 is so right.

My recollection is that they used only one type of coffee throughout the ship although sometimes brewed in different ways. The coffee was Illy, but it was one of their cheaper blends I think from Robusta beans. They should switch to Arabica. You cannot brew good coffee if you use poor ingredients.

Edited by eliana

The poorness of Regent coffee has been a perennial issue. It is very strange because we have been told that the coffee on their sister line, Oceania, is fine. I cannot be certain that they use Robusta, but if they use Arabica they must have searched very hard to get such a poor variety. I will report back from the Navigator to let you know if there has been an improvement.

The poorness of Regent coffee has been a perennial issue. It is very strange because we have been told that the coffee on their sister line, Oceania, is fine. I cannot be certain that they use Robusta, but if they use Arabica they must have searched very hard to get such a poor variety. I will report back from the Navigator to let you know if there has been an improvement.

When I was on Oceania's Riviera I took a picture of the coffee used. It is Illy Espresso - the exact same beans that we saw in the Coffee Connection on the Mariner. While they may use the same beans in La Veranda in the morning (I've been told that they are the same), the morning coffee is prepared in huge batches in order to meet the demand of passengers. This could be the difference. I know that the coffee on Regent is not strong enough for my DH for her gets an "Americana" with a shot of espresso and it is fine!

I'm not what I'd call a 'coffee snob' or anything, but I do appreciate a good cup or three in the morning. I have to agree, though, that the coffee on our last Mariner cruise wasn't anything to write home about. Drinkable, but entirely forgettable.

Illy espresso is an Italian brand using arabica beans. It is unpleasant and totally unsuitable for all coffee machines other than espresso ones and even then does not give a good espresso. Regent need to re-think their coffee policy

When I was on Oceania's Riviera I took a picture of the coffee used. It is Illy Espresso - the exact same beans that we saw in the Coffee Connection on the Mariner. While they may use the same beans in La Veranda in the morning (I've been told that they are the same), the morning coffee is prepared in huge batches in order to meet the demand of passengers. This could be the difference. I know that the coffee on Regent is not strong enough for my DH for her gets an "Americana" with a shot of espresso and it is fine!

Just what we do! In addition I bring my own french roast and my travel french press. I wake up, order hot water or get it myself from the self serve machines, and, voila! I can't say I'm a big fan of the ILLY machines. I prefer nespresso.

Illy espresso is an Italian brand using arabica beans. It is unpleasant and totally unsuitable for all coffee machines other than espresso ones and even then does not give a good espresso. Regent need to re-think their coffee policy

One word: Lavazza.