Just back from the GEM..some random thoughts

jaja

I just wanted to share some thoughts about some items that have been discussed here lately...

Background...This was our 13th cruise. 9 with NCL 5th on Gem. We are in our 60s.

Staff...everyone was GREAT..happy and very accommodating..

Suites....no they have not been updated (except for carpet). (ps--we were in SF)... I did ask HD about this...he said suites are scheduled for redo..

He did not say when..but in my opinion..the sooner the better.

Suite amenities...saw some cutbacks here...towels were thin (not the soft,fluffy ones in the past. and the toilet paper was the pitts...

After drydock.....I can say what was done is very good...public areas are updated and more elegant than they were...Bliss is now actually beautiful..gone the tacky look... Also, they seem to be systematically replacing mattresses...as there was a shipping container full of old ones on the pier in Florida. One problem is they removed all trash containers on deck 7. I realize they were becoming magnets for used glasses, etc...but where are people to leave trash???

Photo area redone..now so easy to walk thru and shop there.

Atrium.....no longer used as a "flea market" type selling...bit improvement for sure...Now easy to navigate and more pleasant to be there.

Java café...rumor that Starbucks may come in...just rumor

Food...we had UDP..so did not eat in MDR..but the menus poste looked fine

Buffet was nice and food good ..but did notice that there is more repetition of choices...

Cagneys..good...best lobster I have had in years! Sides ok .but small. Steaks good but lots of waste with fat..Loved the shrimp cocktail (really bummed it is no longer on suite lunch menu.)

Le Bistro..GREAT...love the appys and the Tenderloin with peppercorn sauce. Service there was superb.

La Cucina..good..

Moderno...disappointed...salad bar changed and service was far too fast. (even with our cards showing red..every waiter stopped to bring food and when we said we were not ready yet..they sometimes never came back with that offering)

Teppanyaki..very good..our first time there..

UBP--no problems at all using it..and service was fine..no waits.

My comments to HD who kindly met with me...

Please improve communication and consistent info both on ship and corporate.

My suggestion...that ALL hostesses and wait staff know the terms of the plans (including platinum dinner)...we got multiple answers as to what we were entitled to.

Asked him to pass on to corporate....NCL needs to improve their communication both on the website and with reps on phone...Mentioned problems with lack of clarity ..with either poorly written explanations on site or different explanations on different parts of site..

THE BAD....(not NCL..but the Pax)

Shame on Anthony from Queens NYC (whose name was recently carved into a section of the promenade railing) and any other jerks who find it amusing to deface property.

Shame on some groups of college kids (girls!)..who obviously overindulged and made fools out of themselves (at the Magnums bar)...talking and yelling so loud no one could here the music..and showing no class in constantly using the F word in every screamed comment. I sincerely hope they all had terrible hangovers the next day.

We loved this cruise...as this one was just to relax and do nothing..thus no comments on excursions, ports or activities.

But I did manage to get some upper respiratory infection 5th day in...and for sure I was not the only one as evidenced by hearing lots of coughing around the ship.....(if I recall this happened also happened on a recent Gem cruise)..

Thanks all for now...

any questions..?

and the toilet paper was the pitts...

You'll notice that the same single-ply toilet paper is used throughout the ship. That's by design. 4-ply thick, soft, and lovely Quilted Northern, for example, would not be very good for the sanitation system.

Shame on Anthony from Queens NYC (whose name was recently carved into a section of the promenade railing) and any other jerks who find it amusing to deface property.

Classy :rolleyes:

You'll notice that the same single-ply toilet paper is used throughout the ship. That's by design. 4-ply thick, soft, and lovely Quilted Northern, for example, would not be very good for the sanitation system.

I know...but it sure is not the same as we had last time :o

Thank you for your thoughts! We leave out on Saturday. How was Concierge and Butler service? Was embarkation and dembarkation smooth processes?

Embarking was a breeze..leaving not so much...fleet week, and Breakaway also in port..so area very crowded .

Monica was great...so sweet, sincere and anxious to assist.(her assistant was also very good..sorry I forgot her name...:o

We had butler..Randy...10th deck SF aft..He was very good . But we spoke to someone on deck 9 aft..who did not meet their butler till day 3!

I just wanted to share some thoughts about some items that have been discussed here lately...

Background...This was our 13th cruise. 9 with NCL 5th on Gem. We are in our 60s.

Suites....no they have not been updated (except for carpet). (ps--we were in SF)... I did ask HD about this...he said suites are scheduled for redo..

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your comments. We were in an SF on Deck 10 on the Gem in February (our 7th cruise with NCL), and I totally agree with you about the need to update those suites. In fact, when we returned I posted a thread about how badly in need of a "refresh" those suites are (photos in the thread if anyone is interested).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314292

A big fail by NCL to have not taken care of this during the dry dock last fall. The public areas of the ship look great, but the tacky, worn, dated, and garish furnishings of those suites really need to go.

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your comments. We were in an SF on Deck 10 on the Gem in February (our 7th cruise with NCL), and I totally agree with you about the need to update those suites. In fact, when we returned I posted a thread about how badly in need of a "refresh" those suites are (photos in the thread if anyone is interested).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314292

A big fail by NCL to have not taken care of this during the dry dock last fall. The public areas of the ship look great, but the tacky, worn, dated, and garish furnishings of those suites really need to go.

I agree...! all the furniture was worn and damaged ..the sink has spider cracks, and the curtains (besides the awful garish colors) were worn and soiled.

If the new carpet is indicative of redo..looks like colors will be more muted earth tones.

IF..this was my first cruise in an NCL suite.(and not know they WILL be redone).I surely would not book them again!

Suite amenities...saw some cutbacks here...towels were thin (not the soft,fluffy ones in the past. and the toilet paper was the pitts...

After drydock.....I can say what was done is very good...public areas are updated and more elegant than they were...Bliss is now actually beautiful..gone the tacky look... Also, they seem to be systematically replacing mattresses...as there was a shipping container full of old ones on the pier in Florida. One problem is they removed all trash containers on deck 7. I realize they were becoming magnets for used glasses, etc...but where are people to leave trash???

Photo area redone..now so easy to walk thru and shop there.

Atrium.....no longer used as a "flea market" type selling...bit improvement for sure...Now easy to navigate and more pleasant to be there.

Java café...rumor that Starbucks may come in...just rumor

Food...we had UDP..so did not eat in MDR..but the menus poste looked fine

Buffet was nice and food good ..but did notice that there is more repetition of choices...

Cagneys..good...best lobster I have had in years! Sides ok .but small. Steaks good but lots of waste with fat..Loved the shrimp cocktail (really bummed it is no longer on suite lunch menu.)

Le Bistro..GREAT...love the appys and the Tenderloin with peppercorn sauce. Service there was superb.

La Cucina..good..

Moderno...disappointed...salad bar changed and service was far too fast. (even with our cards showing red..every waiter stopped to bring food and when we said we were not ready yet..they sometimes never came back with that offering)

Teppanyaki..very good..our first time there..

UBP--no problems at all using it..and service was fine..no waits.

My comments to HD who kindly met with me...

Please improve communication and consistent info both on ship and corporate.

My suggestion...that ALL hostesses and wait staff know the terms of the plans (including platinum dinner)...we got multiple answers as to what we were entitled to.

Asked him to pass on to corporate....NCL needs to improve their communication both on the website and with reps on phone...Mentioned problems with lack of clarity ..with either poorly written explanations on site or different explanations on different parts of site..

Shame on some groups of college kids (girls!)..who obviously overindulged and made fools out of themselves (at the Magnums bar)...talking and yelling so loud no one could here the music..and showing no class in constantly using the F word in every screamed comment. I sincerely hope they all had terrible hangovers the next day.

We loved this cruise...as this one was just to relax and do nothing..thus no comments on excursions, ports or activities.

But I did manage to get some upper respiratory infection 5th day in...and for sure I was not the only one as evidenced by hearing lots of coughing around the ship.....(if I recall this happened also happened on a recent Gem cruise)..

Thanks all for now...

any questions..?

About the towels, I forgot to mention them in my review. In every past suite I'd been in the towels were very nice. In the Garden Villa on the Star, they kicked them up even further and they were amazing! Just off of the Garden Villa on the Gem and the towels were the same as I get in an inside, so it's definitely gone as a perk.

I think Anthony from Queens was on very recently. We disembarked May 7th and I never saw it and used all of the stairs.

I think Anthony from Queens was on very recently. We disembarked May 7th and I never saw it and used all of the stairs.

What a crappy thing to do.

Maybe John (Deck crew, Undercover Boss, from the Bronx) can go find Anthony and carve something into him.

NCL-Undercover-Boss-News-2.jpg

Embarking was a breeze..leaving not so much...fleet week, and Breakaway also in port..so area very crowded .

Monica was great...so sweet, sincere and anxious to assist.(her assistant was also very good..sorry I forgot her name...:o

We had butler..Randy...10th deck SF aft..He was very good . But we spoke to someone on deck 9 aft..who did not meet their butler till day 3!

We were deck 9 aft as well and had the same issue with the butler. To his credit, he did call us (we're assuming he was spoken to) and we met him and then he really redeemed himself. Our steward on the other hand was absolutely outstanding.

And yes...update the suites. It was an amazing cruise but I definitely noticed that.

We will be on deck 11 not sure how the Butlers divide their rooms but sure we will be fine. I've read that the coffee machines are now Nespresso machines. What type of pods were offered. (Tea, flavored tea, coffee, decaf...)

About the towels, I forgot to mention them in my review. In every past suite I'd been in the towels were very nice. In the Garden Villa on the Star, they kicked them up even further and they were amazing! Just off of the Garden Villa on the Gem and the towels were the same as I get in an inside, so it's definitely gone as a perk.

Yes...Anthony was on 5/16/16 as I recall ..his inscription was about a foot long..including the date..and it was on the wood railing outside ...not in stairs..

Glad I was not the only one who noticed the towels...;) Thought I was surely wrong.... NCL...enough is enough with the cutbacks....(you already got your $50 pp and then some...!)

We will be on deck 11 not sure how the Butlers divide their rooms but sure we will be fine. I've read that the coffee machines are now Nespresso machines. What type of pods were offered. (Tea, flavored tea, coffee, decaf...)

Yes...Nespresso now...it was fine...regular coffee, decaf and a tea selection. Sorry did not look at tea ...but they were funny shaped things..not like the coffee pods..:confused:

Coffee, espresso and decaf - worked great.

Tea - mint, chamomile, english breakfast and another that I'm not recalling. It was very good.

Thank you for your thoughts! We leave out on Saturday. How was Concierge and Butler service? Was embarkation and dembarkation smooth processes?

I can tell you that the Concierge Monica was outstanding, a real Jewel, NCL should be proud to have her, our Butler Erlindo was great.

We have nothing negative to say, we had an amazing time, and will be back

on the Gem on the 12th of June. Enjoy your time on the beautiful Gem

Marion

I can tell you that the Concierge Monica was outstanding, a real Jewel, NCL should be proud to have her, our Butler Erlindo was great.

We have nothing negative to say, we had an amazing time, and will be back

on the Gem on the 12th of June. Enjoy your time on the beautiful Gem

Marion

I concur. Monica is totally amazing!!! She was everywhere on the ship making sure we were happy.

Embarkation and debarkation were fine - especially considering it was fleet week and there were 2 ships in port. One thing to note, there were no porters available unless you wanted to wait for a long time. This was just because of the 2 ships though.

I agree that the public areas that have been redone are really nice. Too bad it was really only a partial drydock last fall. The SF suites need help badly. That furniture needed replacing years ago.

Many bathroom sinks (perhaps all) are cracked. Last time we had B1 at the stern and the sinks were cracked. We've been in various cabins on Gem over the past years--and they've been cracked for years.

And their prices have gone up for sailings this ship. Ha! I could see it if it had fully been re-done, but many of us know it has not.

I'm still mad they removed the lavazza machines from the suites! BEST coffee machine ever!

Edited by mizLORInj

I agree that the public areas that have been redone are really nice. Too bad it was really only a partial drydock last fall. The SF suites need help badly. That furniture needed replacing years ago.

Many bathroom sinks (perhaps all) are cracked. Last time we had B1 at the stern and the sinks were cracked. We've been in various cabins on Gem over the past years--and they've been cracked for years.

And their prices have gone up for sailings this ship. Ha! I could see it if it had fully been re-done, but many of us know it has not.

I'm still mad they removed the lavazza machines from the suites! BEST coffee machine ever!

Definitely agree about the higher cabin prices especially for a 7-day sailing compared to the other lines.

We positively hated our bathroom's size since we kept hitting our elbows, knees, etc. on the walls. The shower was the largest we've had in a balcony cabin. But you could barely bend down to wipe your feet without hitting the sink once you exited the shower. If you closed the door partition where the toilet bowl was, you felt very closed in. Overall, the problem was not with the cabin size as with the layout. The counter where the coffee maker was located was so small (or the coffee maker was too large for the counter?). The blow dryer had such a short cord that you had to bend over to really take full advantage of it If you sat on the stool stored under the coffee maker, you then blocked the aisle. Our other counter was over by the balcony and had such poor lighting that many times I had the balcony door open to get enough natural light to put my makeup on. I used the couch next to me as a night table since the night table between the beds was so much lower and so tiny and held the phone. We had to jump up to get on the beds at night. Good thing the new mattresses were so comfortable once you got up on the bed. The peephole was placed so high that you had to be at least 6 feet tall to see out of it!!!!

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

We were on the Gem in 2013 and hated that the bathroom was so small. However,friends of ours were on the ship last year and raved about it .We decided to try again in January of this year .

This time we had the worst Cabin Steward in all our years of cruising.

We met a couple who only cruise on the Gem and love it.

We will probably try another cruise possibly in 2017.

Lenny

I just remembered something else....

We had the UBP--no problem with service or receipts at all...one odd thing..my DH purchased 2 cigars (from the cigar room) and they were rung up at the Magnums bar...we were charged the 18% gratutity...