Noro reported on the Eclipse

scubacruiserx2

Sad for anyone aught up in this. Only had one cruise which was on Eclipse. ALThougH thEre was hand gel everywhere I observed most people giving their hands only a cursory rub. I did mention to the safety officer that diagrams of the seven step hand washing technique would be useful. He said this is shown if there is an outbreak. Seems like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted! ce3654adaa6b3b5a58295977793c4283.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing this before the horse bolts !

horse20bolts_zps3llznhgq.jpg

Thanks Jeanne , Celebrity will be conducting enhanced sanitizing , so there will be delayed boarding . But it's better that Celebrity takes the extra precautions to keep us healthy and hopefully the passengers will all do their part to keep everyone safe !

Absolutely!!! Hopefully by the time you board it will be the cleanest ship in the whole Celebrity fleet!!!:)

I was on Eclipse for the 10th May Iceland cruise.

Although the food everywhere was excellent and there were no signs of illness at all, a significant number of guests were walking in and out of the buffet at all times without sanitising.

They may be clean or may not, however they are going to eat and the one aspect of the buffet I find very worrying is the almost complete lack of a dish or plate to put serving spoons or tongs down on after use.

So people handle the utensils and put them back on the actual food, so any germs go onto the food and next thing to the next person and so on.

I was on Eclipse for the 10th May Iceland cruise.

Although the food everywhere was excellent and there were no signs of illness at all, a significant number of guests were walking in and out of the buffet at all times without sanitising.

They may be clean or may not, however they are going to eat and the one aspect of the buffet I find very worrying is the almost complete lack of a dish or plate to put serving spoons or tongs down on after use.

So people handle the utensils and put them back on the actual food, so any germs go onto the food and next thing to the next person and so on.

Whilst it will not apply to everyone some may be like me, allergic to the ships products. I am getting so fed up of the muttered comments from other guests as I walk passed the machines. I always have my own, but I don't like having to correct others about being a germ spreader. I find guests on Celebrity are the most aggressive in this respect.

UKtog, I accept that some will have problems like yours, which is why I leave it to ships staff to say something.

The main thrust of my post was the potential for germs to be transferred from utensils to food because of the lack of plates/dishes to put them down on between uses.

Why don't they make it crew service only for the first 24 hours as they do on Azamara. It seems to contain some things - actually aeroplanes are more buggy than ships I've been told

I always wash my hands in the toilets immediately outside the buffet to avoid using the gel, made my hands crack on the last cruise, not sure if that was combined with the cold weather or just the gel.

Sounds like this outbreak might have been brought on board if it started on day 3?

I remember a few years back being on a princess cruise. And outside the dining room. The bathrooms had an attendant in them. Encouraging you to wash your hands after you before you left The facility. I think this was tactfully done. Pretty much made sure just about everyone wash their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I heard that the antibac gel the Cruiselines use is ineffective again Norovirus. Does anyone here know if this is true?

It was true.

Now there is a new sanitizer/ towel that is effective against the noro virus and I know it is being used on DCL and is said to now be used by the cruise lines.

AKK

It was true.

Now there is a new sanitizer/ towel that is effective against the noro virus and I know it is being used on DCL and is said to now be used by the cruise lines.

AKK

Well gosh, don't leave us in suspense, please share the name of it with us.

Last year while on the Eclipse there was an outbreak of norovirus. The buffet food and beverages were served by the employees. There was a slew of workers sanitizing everything. I think they did a good job. Luckily we never went to code red.

Hope they get the ship sanitized and everyone has a great cruise.

I heard that the antibac gel the Cruiselines use is ineffective again Norovirus. Does anyone here know if this is true?

Yes, it really cleans bacteria & not viruses. Good old fashioned hand washing with soap is the best defense.

I just checked the Walmart brand Equate I use and it has 0.115% Benzalkonium chloride in it. I'd think it would have to be better than one that doesn't have it.

That Benzalkonium Chloride is pretty good. It's used in most hospitals.

I have seen that Elton John tribute act twice on the Eclipse and it is enough to make a lot of people throw up. Certainly not conclusive evidence that Noro was involved.

That was meant to be a joke by the way, albeit in pretty poor taste.

Just try to lighten to mood on this thread,

Haven't seen the show. That bad, eh?

I wrote to Celebrity regarding this issue and to see if they actually had a different product than what we normally carry in little bottles. I recieved a phone call and a follow up email. X's resonse as follows:

Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our hand sanitizer used aboard our fleet. It was a pleasure speaking with you today.

In answer to your question, the product we offer to our guests onboard is not the same as the regular over the counter gel. We special order our stock, as most cruise lines do, to include the gel with a formula created to target Norovirus.

With this being said, we will do everything we can to avoid the spread of an outbreak on our ships. Please know, the moment the first case is brought to our attention, additional cleaning procedures begin. The level of severity is dependent on guest participation of utilizing the hand sanitizer that we provide, accurate reporting, and adhering to the confinement procedure if determined to be contagious by our Medical Staff.

I hope this information helps you on future sailings! If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us back. We are always happy to help.

Sincerely,

Elisabeth Buchanan

Celebrity Cruises

844-418-6824