Watch/Jewelry sales in promenade area

Just wondering what the fascination is with the sales they have on Watches, jewelry, purses offered on every cruise.....Is it that great a deal?? Every cruise we've been on it seems everyone is there. Makes maneuvering around that area almost impossible.....I see some women with arms full of merchandise...Do they sell it? haha.....

Is it a great deal? No

Is it great marketing from the cruise lines perspective? yes

Is it a revenue generator? Yes

Some people want to buy a momento from their cruise.

Usually though, you can get a much better deal on Amazon from the comfort of your home.

Is it a great deal? No

Is it great marketing from the cruise lines perspective? yes

Is it a revenue generator? Yes

Some people want to buy a momento from their cruise.

Usually though, you can get a much better deal on Amazon from the comfort of your home.

Yes, isn't it amazing what the work "sale" will do to some people..Buying of all things watches on a ship is the worst thing to buy, I would say half the time, and thats being generous by the time you get home, or a week later the watchs don't work. If you give them as a gift, I find that embarrassing.

Yes, isn't it amazing what the work "sale" will do to some people..Buying of all things watches on a ship is the worst thing to buy, I would say half the time, and thats being generous by the time you get home, or a week later the watchs don't work. If you give them as a gift, I find that embarrassing.

Watches are a deal when your battery decides to die and there is no place on ship to buy a new one. Then the throw away watch is a deal.

Just wondering what the fascination is with the sales they have on Watches, jewelry, purses offered on every cruise.....Is it that great a deal??...

You know why? Because a buzz is generated by a crowd. People love to think they are getting a good deal. People love a sale. Notice the big sales are always on a sea day? People get bored on sea days, and they go shopping. ;):p

The worst (well, biggest??) madhouse I ever saw was on Celebrity - those Bella Perlina bracelets, right? Passengers had ARMFULS of them and it was actually funny to watch. Wow. I just knew some of them were destined for the Christmas tree. :D

The pashminas and purses (dress bags) are actually a pretty good buy.

Agreed! I have a couple wraps in different colors and a black clutch that I still use to this day. Ten bucks and no tax - I am all over that. :)

Funny, my wife's citizen Eco she got a couple years ago still works like a charm, the 3 bling rings we have bought have not turned and the stones have not fallen out and people think they are real:D

She also bought several of these little purses for gifts, back home she said they were a lot more

Usually the stuff they put out in the promenade or atrium area is low priced merchandise, not the good stuff. People like to pick up a few things for not a lot of money. I always take a look and hardly ever buy anything but it's fun to browse. I'm not one who would buy a $1200 watch on a cruise but I might pick up a $10 hat. I think there are a lot of us in that category and so it gets busy.

Usually the stuff they put out in the promenade or atrium area is low priced merchandise, not the good stuff. People like to pick up a few things for not a lot of money. I always take a look and hardly ever buy anything but it's fun to browse. I'm not one who would buy a $1200 watch on a cruise but I might pick up a $10 hat. I think there are a lot of us in that category and so it gets busy.

I'm in this category!

Granddaughter loves the $10 slap-on watch we got for her (zebra pattern) and we have had to replace the battery, so it has lasted. No idea why someone would buy most of the stuff there, though.

DaniDanielle, my DH has many of those shirts. They make great lawn mowing/gardening shirts. They never wear out. Some of his are over 10 years old and washed over and over.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The pashminas and purses (dress bags) are actually a pretty good buy.

Watches, not so much.

:)

Ha, my husband's watch by that famous designer, El Cheapo, that he got on the Explorer 3+ years ago is still running.:D

Just wondering what the fascination is with the sales they have on Watches, jewelry, purses offered on every cruise.....Is it that great a deal?? Every cruise we've been on it seems everyone is there. Makes maneuvering around that area almost impossible.....I see some women with arms full of merchandise...Do they sell it? haha.....

Everything is way over priced.

Let's face it, the cruise lines are not in the business out of the goodness of their hearts, they're in it to make money. These sales that are silly to some are a revenue source. People are free to buy or just walk on by, as Dionne Warwick would sing...even though sometimes it's difficult to pass through.:D

I myself try to avoid the frenzy over the likes of the Bijou Terner $10 tat sale, but I can see why people get dragged into the fray... It's all the hype, the "grand opening" etc.. - and you can win a raffle to be first through the rope to look at the tat!! what a Prize!!!

I think back in the day I might have bought a few bits myself though!

I am more confused by who actually buys the High End stuff. When I was on Anthem I don't think I ever saw anybody in the "posh" shops??

And on Oasis, I don't think I even saw the Tiffany shop in Central Park actually open?