EFFY Jewelry - quality and repairs

cruisingram1

Hi, we have bought Effy products (8 pieces total) on the Caribbean Princess AND the Grand Princess... Char Larkin is the Princess rep we contacted during 2016 to have a ring made half a size larger... diamonds and sapphires around the shank, no-one here in the U.K. we're willing to alter the ring at any price... but did all comment on it's quality of build, uniqueness and use of high grade stones compared to what we paid for the ring they were impressed... Most said we had a great deal and one even offered to buy it from us at a small profit!! We sent the ring over the pond to Char at Effy and they returned the ring resized at no cost to us within a couple of weeks... in our view this is excellent customer service.

We are looking forward to buying further products from the Effy range later this spring from the Crown Princess...

So many get "caught up in the moment" and get hooked into purchasing costly "trinkets" from shops aboard. Princess pushed EFFY as if it were the only line of jewels on the planet, with special one day only sales, [AKA you are at sea and bored - so shop], super special collections [AKA we have to get rid of these pieces] and various other tempting hooks.

EFFY is a mall jewelry line - so make your purchase at home and deal with a local vendor. This is not Tiffany's exclusive line, it's a ship board vendor. Last cruise, I saw a pair of "crystal" hoop earrings, but before I purchased them, I went back to the cabin, went online and found the exact same brand at Lord & Taylor, for about $20 less!!! And that wasn't even with my L&T discount coupon of the billing cycle.

Yes, over the years, and way back when, I purchased various "treasured gems" on cruises,[missing stones, bad prongs, not able to size a ring, faulty clasp], but with age comes wisdom, or so I'm told, and now if I want anything special, I shop local - close to home and save my OBC for the bar bill.

Darcy

Same experience as some of the others with Effy:

My daughter picked out an engagement ring and bought it several years ago. Before the night was over, the diamond fell out! Luckily it was at Vines, and we noticed it immediately. And we felt very lucky that we were able to return it immediately and have the money returned.

I will never get anything from them, that's for sure!

How awful! That must have been quite a shock.

Personally no way that I would part with several thousand $$$ on a cruise ship to buy jewellery. You have basically no control over quality or after sales service in the event of problems (as noted by the OP) and I am sure they are overpriced for their captive market.

Leather goods are similar with most of the big names not actually made in Italy but in Thailand or Korea.

Hope the OP comes back to tell us if she was able to get any joy.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Personally no way that I would part with several thousand $$$ on a cruise ship to buy jewellery. You have basically no control over quality or after sales service in the event of problems (as noted by the OP) and I am sure they are overpriced for their captive market.

Leather goods are similar with most of the big names not actually made in Italy but in Thailand or Korea.

Hope the OP comes back to tell us if she was able to get any joy.

Me neither. Although, I think on our first cruise, we did buy a pair of earrings for a couple of hundred.

Edited by abbydancer

If purchased via credit card, you'd have recourse through them.

I was shocked to see Effy selling on Princess...never thought of them as a 'great' company, same feeling about Diamonds Int'l....* at DI that was due to my poor choice of diamond...the 10x loop IS a great idea, if only to ck your jewelry at home to be sure it is in good shape!

Good luck!

I am not certain how relevant my experience with buying a piece of jewelry on a Princess cruise will be to the OP's situation only that it may be a tale of how times apparently change,quality lessens and customer service declines.

In July of 2008, my DH and I were on Crown Princess,celebrating our 25 the anniversary.

My DH wanted to purchase a ring for me to mark the occasion. We looked at the fine jewelry store on the ship. At the time, I do not recall any particular designer or maker to be promoted in this store.

We found a very pretty band of white gold set with cognac ( chocolate) and white diamonds.

Of course, with the purchase we were given a receipt and a warranty.

Those papers are folded in the original ring box in my hope chest.

I would look at it for the details as it pertains to this post, but I am comfortably relaxing in bed at the moment ,reading CC.

However, the receipt and the warranty have remained tucked away because I have never had a problem with the ring.

I used to wear it only for special occasions as I do wear my wedding band and engagement ring everyday.

About four years ago, I began wearing it in addition to my other two rings on my left hand.

Never a problem with the ring !!!

Now, my DH and I were on the Regal this past Fall.

He asked if I would like a piece of jewelry.

We went to an Effy spiel (I mean presentation). Too much of a promotional effort for me.

I also realized that Effy is sold at Macy's. If I really wanted a piece of that jewelry, it would involve a simple, neighborhood shopping trip.

I am sorry to hear of the OP's frustrating experience with her jewelry purchase.

I do hope she gets a satisfactory resolution in the near future.

Hi Guys and Gals… It’s very pleasant to see some positives being posted by people who care enough to do so and to keep the balance a little…

“Let your Eyes be your Judgment, and your Pocket be your Guide”

… Basically we all have choices in life and purchasing something, be it a can of beans or a piece of fine jewellry, becomes a choice at the moment of payment. NOBODY is forced to buy anything no matter how ‘pushy’ the salesperson is.

When we walk into an Effy/jewellery store, be it on a ship or elsewhere, and we look at the items being offered to us as we stroll the store, first of all, we view the products and not the price. Now, if we like a ring, or necklace or whatever and decide to go further we will ask the price. So, the decision to buy is based on a combination of those two things, our eyes and our pocket. If BOTH are acceptable to us we make the purchase which then instantly becomes an item of memory, and not a price tag.

Buying a memory on a lovely vacation/cruise for us adds to its value, even if an identical item sits in a store elsewhere at a lesser price! That one is someone else’s memory.

…and further, if the item we purchased broke in some way we would then choose to have it fixed, or not… the initial memory would still remain!

When my wife opens her jewellery box to see what she may wear on a special night out, she is looking into a box of wonderful memories and feelings, not a pile of price tags or unanswered complaints, and yes, some of the pieces may be broken or have bits missing, but to her it’s still a very special box of memories of us and the places we have been together…

Blessings to all, and may your God hold you gently in his hand.

My husband bought me a ring on the Regal in Oct. 2015. I loved the uniqueness of it and he wanted to get me an emerald. Salesman was very nice Zolan or something close to that. Sadly none in my size so hey says he in time for Christmas he could have NY sent it to the house. Yup 3 days before Christmas 2015 after several calls it was here. No warranty with it nor the promised certificate for our insurance. Another call another promise and still nothing. Went on the Regal again in May 2016 brought receipts etc. to EFFY explained unhappy with how NY drags things out and were told sorry will try to help. Before then end (and no never again) you guessed it no problem the warranty & certificate will be at our home before we are. Yeah right still waiting. Now next time I go for my wedding set to be checked & cleaned at our jeweler we will need to get the appraisal done and have it listed from their certificate.

I don't care if I love a piece again they lost my business and with friends & family sailing on Princess theirs as well. Lesson learned never bought for the jewelry shops on a ship before and will not do it again.

I have lots of Effy jewelry--never have purchased it on any of the ships. I usually opt for their sterling collections or gold/sterling. I buy it at Carson's in the Chicago area--department store-- they have it on clearance or on sale--70% off clearance plus additional off or sometimes 50% or 60% off sale & more with coupons also then more off plus other coupons. I purchased a $1600 ring (this one was with diamonds) for $325. I am not impressed with the prices on board as I have seen the same pieces at Carson's at a lower price then on sale plus coupons. So guess if you really like it --bargain plus price before you go at a local store that carries Effy --as Macys plus Carson's does.

...... So guess if you really like it --bargain plus price before you go at a local store that carries Effy --as Macys plus Carson's does.

That is excellent advice. It pays to know what the current going price on land is for an item, especially if it is part of a sale.

That is excellent advice. It pays to know what the current going price on land is for an item, especially if it is part of a sale.

Sak's off 5th sells it too.

http://www.saksoff5th.com/search/EndecaSearch.jsp?bmForm=endeca_search_form_one&submit-search=&bmSingle=N_Dim&N_Dim=0&bmHidden=Ntk&Ntk=Entire+Site&bmHidden=Ntx&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartialmax&SearchString=Effy&Ntt=Effy

If people are happy buying department store jewelry, go for it. I recommend buying NOT with eyes and price, but by specs and quality numbers. No sense spending a ridiculous amount of money on department store quality jewelry bought on a ship, especially when one hasn't run the numbers through tools to be certain the item is worth the price.

It boggles my mind....

Overstock dot com also sells Effy: https://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Jewelry/EFFY,/brand,/13/dept.html

Edited by spleenstomper

Here is an example: this Effy bracelet is $4,798.00 the description says nearly all EFFY gem jewely are enhanced (gigantic red flag)

1 1/3 carat

color H-I (what evaluation company? Certainly not GIA... so probably real color is I-J),

clarity is I2 (reputable jewelers do not sell clarity levels of below SI1 or 2 (another red flag)

Here is the link for you to see it. In my opinion, this is a junk bracelet.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/effy-final-call-diamond-bangle-bracelet-1-1-3-ct-tw-in-14k-gold?ID=2874272&CategoryID=63694

The real joke is that the supposed original retail price is $11,000 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is a fabulous diamond bracelet from Whiteflash. $3,475.00

2 carats

Color F/G

Clarity VS

59 ACA (a cut above) diamonds!!! This means you are getting 59 super ideal diamonds with arrow and hearts (hearts and arrows is a trademarked name, so this is whiteflash's version of it.

Not only is Whiteflash cheaper, they have a great trade up policy AND you can buy sight unseen since they have strict standards for ACA diamonds.

It is also GIA and likely AGS certified!

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-bracelets/three-prong-diamond-tennis-bracelet-501.htm

Edited by spleenstomper

Another example: Effy 14 ct sapphire bracelet: $17,200 lol, 50% off= $8,600

1 3/8 carat diamonds.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/royale-bleu-by-effy-sapphire-14-ct-tw-and-diamond-1-3-8-ct-tw-oval-link-bracelet-in-14k-white-gold?ID=3003424&CategoryID=63694

IDJ 17.65 Ct sapphire and diamond bracelet: $5,995.00

5.95 Ct diamonds

http://idjewelry.com/halo-oval-cut-sapphire-diamond-bracelet-set-in-18kt-white-gold-17-65-ctw-cj01557bs1s8w-iajld.html

I'm sure I could find many, many, many, many more examples of better quality jewelry for much better prices. Use your head. Sentimentality and memories don't mean much if you have gotten ripped off supremely because you used your eyes and heart instead of good old common sense.

Here is an example: this Effy bracelet is $4,798.00 the description says nearly all EFFY gem jewely are enhanced (gigantic red flag)

1 1/3 carat

color H-I (what evaluation company? Certainly not GIA... so probably real color is I-J),

clarity is I2 (reputable jewelers do not sell clarity levels of below SI1 or 2 (another red flag)

Here is the link for you to see it. In my opinion, this is a junk bracelet.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/effy-final-call-diamond-bangle-bracelet-1-1-3-ct-tw-in-14k-gold?ID=2874272&CategoryID=63694

The real joke is that the supposed original retail price is $11,000 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is a fabulous diamond bracelet from Whiteflash. $3,475.00

2 carats

Color F/G

Clarity VS

59 ACA (a cut above) diamonds!!! This means you are getting 59 super ideal diamonds with arrow and hearts (hearts and arrows is a trademarked name, so this is whiteflash's version of it.

Not only is Whiteflash cheaper, they have a great trade up policy AND you can buy sight unseen since they have strict standards for ACA diamonds.

It is also GIA and likely AGS certified!

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-bracelets/three-prong-diamond-tennis-bracelet-501.htm

Exactly, great post except I would add High Performance Diamonds who sell Crafted by Infinity diamonds (as good or better than Hearts on Fire) to the mix. They cut a diamond to order for me.

Cheryl

Gemologist (GIA) 1989