San Jaun as a Port of Call

squeeky336

With all that is in the news these days about Porto Rico, is San Juan a good port to visit? Other than shopping what is there to do there? :):confused:

I have not done Southern Caribbean before.. We want to sail out of Florida.. What is important us is good food and the most time in ports..

We like a good steak and shellfish everyday.. We are in our 50s..no kids.. want to see exotic ports and snorkel.. any suggestions which to take? 8-10 days?? we are big eaters but light drinkers..

Edited by squeeky336
more questions

You may want to post this on the San Juan Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=131

It's not my favorite port but it is OK. There are places to eat and we enjoyed visiting the rain forest.

I have also stayed there at a hotel for a few days and that was nice but in general I have many other ports that I prefer over this one.

With that said, I enjoy sailing the Southern Caribbean over the Eastern and Western Caribbean and it does provide a gateway to many of those ports for cruises that start and end in San Juan.

Keith

We used to enjoy San Juan but not any more since HAL gets there at 1 PM. When we sailed on other cruise lines we got there at 8 or 8 AM and got to tour when it was cooler in the morning. I know -- heat doesn't bother some people -- but it does bother us now that we are older.

There is El Morro Fort, San Cristobal Fort, Old San Juan itself to visit.

A 10 day cruise out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami will get you to the Southern Caribbean.

We love San Juan - the forts to explore

wandering - you feel like you're in an older european city

there is a LOT of history there.

We have done a zip line excursion there. You can do the beach, but we have enjoyed wandering Old San Juan.

And added bonus? Where the piña colada was born!

/Users/pmartin/Desktop/3194_77397677086_3206679_n.jpg

We love San Juan - the forts to explore

wandering - you feel like you're in an older european city

there is a LOT of history there.

We have done a zip line excursion there. You can do the beach, but we have enjoyed wandering Old San Juan.

And added bonus? Where the piña colada was born!

Pat

3194_77397677086_3206679_n.jpg.a6ade74b05af4dba40201f319ff2cf1b.jpg

We have been to San Juan a couple of times and always enjoy it. We usually get on the hop on-hop off free trolley and ride it around Old San Juan. Then we usually get off and tour one of the forts. That is a real bargain - $5.00 entrance fee gets you a trip back in history. Also love wandering around the cobblestone streets of Old San Juan.

The cruises we have done on both Princess and HAL had us leaving at around 11pm. We sat on our balcony with a drink and watched to setting sun. Magical.

Edited by Daisyloo

We love Puerto Rico. The rainforest is beautiful. For later stops you have the opportunity to do the bioluminesent kyaking, which i hear is amazing. Mother nature prevented us from being able to do it on our last trip.

For dinner (or lunch) I highly recommend an authentic and delicious meal at Cafe Puerto Rico. The service was wonderful, it was a very casual and friendly place and not touristy. It was actually recommended to us by the local police, they eat there often. It is very easy walking distance from the ship.

https://m.facebook.com/CafePuertoRico/

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

There is much to do in Puerto Rico:

El Yunque Rain Forest:

http://www.viator.com/San-Juan-attractions/El-Yunque-Rainforest-tours-tickets/d903-a2461?pref=02

Bioluminescent Bay kayaking (glows in the dark - just amazing!)

http://vieques.com/island-bioluminescent-bay/#13/18.1029/-65.4481

Foodie touring of Old San Juan - you can do this by just walking off the ship - use your smart phone to find your way around the streets - it's small, easy and very walkable. From the port, walk across the street and up the gently sloping hill about 1 block then follow the crowd up the road that veers to the right into what is obviously the old town. At the top of the small hill you will come to a square. San Juan is known for a special and smooth coffee and delicious Puerto Rican food - try Cafecultura for coffee and the best coconut and pineapple French toast ever! This is located off the square in one corner. After getting fortified with breakfast, begin your exploration of old San Juan walking back down the hill street by street. There are various shops along the way. For lunch, try Barrachina (home of the Pina Colada and a great place for steak and shellfish) or El Jibarito. Cafe Puerto Rico is great for dinner. In between this, walk to visit the tomb of Ponce de Leon in the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista on Calle de Cristo. Entry is free. Do bring you camera as this is a very beautiful Cathedral with many interesting statues, decor and relics. This is the second oldest Cathedral in the Americas. Right next to Ponce de Leon in a glass coffin are the remains of St. Pius one of the first Roman Christian Martyrs during the early Christian persecutions who chose to follow Christ over Caesar. This relic was given to San Juan by the Vatican in the early 1800's and restored in Spain where it was mostly covered in wax although you can see St. Pius' teeth and the top of his skull. This is believed to be an extremely powerful relic and has caused many believers to faint when in its presence. Some claim to see his spirit walking the Cathedrals grounds at night. Don't miss the gorgeous statue of the Virgin Mary perfectly lit by a sky light and the tomb of Carlos Manuel Rodriguez Santiago - the first Puerto Rican Saint. After the cathedral, continue up Calle de Cristo to the Don Collins Cigar shop and cafe at 59 Calle de Cristo and say hello to Don Collins. Buy some cigars, sit down and chat. Don is a great conversationist AND a great character - he's really terrific and makes everyone who enters his shop a friend. You will feel like you have entered an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations! You can walk back down the hill and go to Ponce de Leon's home, Casa Blanca at 1 Sebastian Street and the old fort: Castillo San Cristobal. When you get bored with Old San Juan, head to the Bacardi factory by taxi at Casa Bacardi, KM 2.6 Carretera 165, Cataño. Puerto Rico. Tours and tastings are available. Book online to skip the lines.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

[bWe visited San Juan for 40 years including many resoret stays in adition to portr calls. One of my favoerite Caibbeen locattions.

A Southern Carib. [ cruise likely will take you to aruba and Curacao. two grest[/b] ports.

Edited by sail7seas

You may want to post this on the San Juan Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=131

It's not my favorite port but it is OK. There are places to eat and we enjoyed visiting the rain forest.

I have also stayed there at a hotel for a few days and that was nice but in general I have many other ports that I prefer over this one.

With that said, I enjoy sailing the Southern Caribbean over the Eastern and Western Caribbean and it does provide a gateway to many of those ports for cruises that start and end in San Juan.

Keith

so what ports do you prefer?

With all that is in the news these days about Porto Rico, is San Juan a good port to visit? Other than shopping what is there to do there? :):confused:

I have not done Southern Caribbean before.. We want to sail out of Florida.. What is important us is good food and the most time in ports..

We like a good steak and shellfish everyday.. We are in our 50s..no kids.. want to see exotic ports and snorkel.. any suggestions which to take? 8-10 days?? we are big eaters but light drinkers..

Princess offers 8 Day Cruises roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale in 2017 on Caribbean Princess going to the ABC Islands (Aruba,Bonaire,Curacao).

Great itinerary for snorkelers! :)

We are booked to do this on January 14, 2017.

LuLu

San Juan is not a favorite port of call for us.

There is very little to do on a port stop there for those who enjoy beaches and catamarans. :(

there seem to be several ports.. On Southern cruise.. what ar eyou favorites and why? i am trying to decide.. i am shying away form Haiti and DOm republic because of the poverty.. but i dunno which are good and ave nice things to see.

any advice is appreciated:)

Mofongo.