Neiuw Amsterdam tendering in Juneau

CRUISERAT

After searching and asking HAL several times, I found out we are tendering in Juneau. You would think HAL would have posted it so that some of us that have to ride a scooter would have known and got on another Ship.

I just wanted to warn any of you that are handicapped and booked it, you will know in advance :mad:

Edited by CRUISERAT

After searching and asking HAL several times, I found out we are tendering in Juneau. You would think HAL would have posted it so that some of us that have to ride a scooter would have known and got on another Ship.

I just wanted to warn any of you that are handicapped and booked it, you will know in advance :mad:

I was in Juneau a few weeks ago on the NA and we were docked.

I have been there a few times and have always been docked and have never seen any tendering going on.

I've seen non Hal ships tendering in Juneau . Usually RCI , X and a small line ship.

Interesting--I didn't know that. How many ships can dock there before they have to have others anchor off and tender?

Tendering has happened before at Juneau, but it is not common. How they decide who gets to tender is usually decided by last to arrive/first to depart, and space available at the dock. I think they can dock 3 large, or possibly 4 ships if a mix of medium ships is in.

OP, you can still go ashore. Even with chair issues, it will be calm, and relative to other, more wavy areas, will be easier to get ashore.

Interesting--I didn't know that. How many ships can dock there before they have to have others anchor off and tender?

4 can dock,Neiuw Amsterdam is trading off weeks with the SOLSTICE one week the SOLSTICE has the AJ dock and we have the amp the following week they change here's the schedule you have to click 2016 http://claalaska.com/

Edited by CRUISERAT

Maybe four or five will fit if the right size combination, I think.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I got this from docks and harbors in Juneau : The new phase I cruise ship dock (CT Dock) provides greater capacity to handle larger (post-panamax) sized vessels. The new cruise ship project (phase 2) scheduled for completion in May 2017 will also provide capacity to handle the largest cruise ships in the world. We are not numerically adding additional berths to the Port of Juneau. There remains 4 berths and room for one vessel at anchor in the Port. If you are told you are at the AMP – this is the lightering float at Marine Park – your vessel would be at the anchorage.

Juneau's Alaska Steamship dock (AS), the one adjacent the Juneau library and across the street from the Red Dog saloon, can only handle ships the size of HAL "S" and "R" class, plus similar or smaller ships from different companies, i.e. Seven Seas Navigator, Silver Wind, Regatta, etc. That is, until the 2017 season when a floating dock similar to the one built last season at the Cruise Terminal dock (CT) is completed this off-season.

Consequently, HAL ships of the Vista and Signature-class (Nieuw Amsterdam belongs in the latter class) are usually assigned the CT or AJ dock. (NODM is at CT today). So besides, the AS dock, Juneau has room and space for three large ships at CT dock, FKL (Franklin Street) dock and the floating AJ (Alaska Juneau) dock

As has been posted, NADM, this season, is switching off every week with Celebrity Solstice between berthing at the AJ dock and tendering to the Juneau tender pier at Marine Park.

Sorry that is happening to you.

A number of years ago we were on the Ryndam and we had to tender in Juneau. Lots of ships there that day.

I just think that it was wrong of HAL not to post that it was a tender port. If i had known that i would have booked the Westerdam. :mad: Whats even worst is they tell you, we are not tendering at any port in Alaska but Sitka.

Edited by CRUISERAT

I just think that it was wrong of HAL not to post that it was a tender port. If i had known that i would have booked the Westerdam. :mad: Whats even worst is they tell you, we are not tendering at any port in Alaska but Sitka.

Sometimes tendering happens as the result of a short-notice decision. But if they've got this scheduled in advance--and it sure seems that they do--they should tell you. At least you know now, and can plan your day accordingly. It would be worse to find out once you were on the ship, especially if you'd made private tour arrangements with a pickup close to 'arrival' time. There may be a lot of surprised/unhappy passengers in Juneau.

The first year Veendam went to Bermuda, she was scheduled to dock at St. Georges for one day. We were so excited to have the overnight there! Then, one day when I was looking at the website, I noticed a tiny "TR" for that port. I was SURE that it hadn't been a tender port when I booked. Called my TA to ask what was going on, and she said that she hadn't heard of any change. She called HAL and found out I was right. HAL made NO attempt to contact booked passengers or TAs. Just slip that bit of info onto the website and they were good to go.

If you check http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Juneau-JNU-2016.pdf

You can see the Nieuv alternating with the Solstice on Tuesday with the "AMP" tendering option every second week with the distant unloved AJ dock.

I hate tendering... I too was on the Zuiderdaam and got a cabin letter wheelchair users were not welcomed to the Juneau tender. Sad Panda.

Swimming was not an option.

And we didn't know that we were going to tender in Juneau until the day before we got there.

It appears to have changed since I last looked about 2 weeks ago. NADM was set to be in the AJ dock in Juneau on August 29th but now it is supposed to be anchored in the marine park. I'm going to remain ambivalent because there's no need to wait for a bus and we can end up right downtown, however I'm not keen on waiting to tender, and I'm a fit and trim young buck who has no trouble moving about!

Edited by Aegis1984

It appears to have changed since I last looked about 2 weeks ago. NADM was set to be in the AJ dock in Juneau on August 29th but now it is supposed to be anchored in the marine park. I'm going to remain ambivalent because there's no need to wait for a bus and we can end up right downtown, however I'm not keen on waiting to tender, and I'm a fit and trim young buck who has no trouble moving about!

LOL good thing your not on a scooter like me. I just checked your date, your stuck too :eek:: :(

Edited by CRUISERAT

If you check http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Juneau-JNU-2016.pdf

You can see the Nieuv alternating with the Solstice on Tuesday with the "AMP" tendering option every second week with the distant unloved AJ dock.

I hate tendering... I too was on the Zuiderdaam and got a cabin letter wheelchair users were not welcomed to the Juneau tender. Sad Panda.

Swimming was not an option.

Now that is just SAD and WRONG, they told me they could load and unload scooter from tender

Now that is just SAD and WRONG, they told me they could load and unload scooter from tender

Is it a folding scooter? And can you walk a few steps? If so, then you might be able to take the scooter ashore. If the scooter is full size, such as the ones rented from the agencies that service HAL, then it likely can't get aboard the tender. Or, if you can't walk on/off the tender itself, then you are stuck.

There is an elevator that will bring you and your scooter down all the way to the ship's tender dock. If you can then get up, close up the scooter like a piece of luggage, step down onto the tender w/scooter, reverse the process when you get to town, then you should be able to do it.

I use a rented scooter, and cannot take it with me on a tender. A friend rides his own (which closes up), and he can walk a little, so his goes ashore easily.

Good luck to you.

Is it a folding scooter? And can you walk a few steps? If so, then you might be able to take the scooter ashore. If the scooter is full size, such as the ones rented from the agencies that service HAL, then it likely can't get aboard the tender. Or, if you can't walk on/off the tender itself, then you are stuck.

There is an elevator that will bring you and your scooter down all the way to the ship's tender dock. If you can then get up, close up the scooter like a piece of luggage, step down onto the tender w/scooter, reverse the process when you get to town, then you should be able to do it.

I use a rented scooter, and cannot take it with me on a tender. A friend rides his own (which closes up), and he can walk a little, so his goes ashore easily.

Good luck to you.

Well I am not even going to worry about getting it on the tender they said they could do it so they better. It just makes me mad because who whats to go through all that again if you want to go back to the ship for something :(

Well I am not even going to worry about getting it on the tender they said they could do it so they better. It just makes me mad because who whats to go through all that again if you want to go back to the ship for something :(

Unfortunately, shoreside doesn't always give good info. I've never tendered in Juneau, so I don't know what the issue is. Could be there's something about the pier that makes it impossible to "land" a scooter.

You can ask about it when you're onboard. Or if you want to just try it, I would suggest going down after the rush. If it's less crowded, they may be more able to help you. I have seen crew lift a woman and her scooter onto the tender and off again in port (somewhere in the Caribbean). I don't know sizes, so I can't say if it was a small scooter or a large one, but they did it. She had to be the last on and first off because the scooter only fit in the open area in the middle. If there had been a crowd it might have been awkward. But the tender wasn't full and there was no line, so it went smoothly.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I too am on the NA this summer and just checked the docking schedule for Ketchikan after seeing the video of the Celebrity ship smashing the dock. The NA is assigned berth 3 in Ketchikan all summer so we may in fact be tendered there as well since the dock reportedly has 2-3 million dollars in damages. Most weeks it looks like there are 3 or 4 ships in that port when we are so they may not have any choice but to tender one.

To clarify.... it was 2013 and I was on the Zuiderdam. After three years and with HAL's older clientele.... I would hope they have smartened up with how to tender those with mobility aids.

Then again, with promises of a lift.... someone is listening.

Edited by xlxo