Changing from Traditional to Select Dining

Mel1707

Hi

For my upcoming Alaskan cruise, we have the 8:30pm traditional seating. Whilst I had understood that Concierge Class got some type of preference for dining, we were simply told only 8:30pm was left and that's what we have.

I understand that Select dining is available (which I believe is like "Any Time" dining). Is it possible for us to change from our traditional seating to Select once on board? If so, how do we do it?

Also, is there usually a wait for a table if you have Select? Oh and what would be the chance of getting a table for two?

Thanks!!

Mel

Hi

For my upcoming Alaskan cruise, we have the 8:30pm traditional seating. Whilst I had understood that Concierge Class got some type of preference for dining, we were simply told only 8:30pm was left and that's what we have.

I understand that Select dining is available (which I believe is like "Any Time" dining). Is it possible for us to change from our traditional seating to Select once on board? If so, how do we do it?

Also, is there usually a wait for a table if you have Select? Oh and what would be the chance of getting a table for two?

Thanks!!

Mel

Yes, with Select dining you eat whenever you want during the dinner hours. (You can also make reservations for specific times if you'd like.) For obvious reasons, Select has become very popular. If it's available to choose now, in advance of your cruise, you should do it (assuming you want it). If not, it is full. But don't give up -- when you board, head immediately to the MDR and speak to the Maitre d' and see if you can be accommodated in Select.

Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

We had Select Dining for the last few years. I works for us but I started missing the ol' good traditional dining, the same waiters every night, etc.

Can we change from Select to Traditional while on board?

We have changed from early seating to Select dining when our table mates didn't work out. However, you should be aware that Select dining does fill up. If you want to change, do it ASAP.

We've always used Select. Mainly for the flexibility it allows and a little over our fear of others at an 8-top wanting to talk politics and then us having to go through the exercise of moving.

We've cruised as a party of two and a party of six. I don't recall ever having to wait long...maybe 10 minutes...to be sat. Our experience is there are minimal to no private 2-tops..mainly banks of 2-tops side by side by side with an 18 inch or so space between the tables. Makes for cross table conversation with others if you want or still can be semiprivate with your conversation if that is your preference.

Hostess will seat you at a 4 or 6 top with others...only first asking you if that is ok. Good to do that if you are in the mood...an hope the politics don't come up :-).

Cheers,

OHP

If Select is really available and not sold out now, why not just have your travel agent make the change now? Or do it yourself if you booked direct with Celebrity

Edit, I see you posted as I was typing the above. Good luck getting what you want

Edited by WestLakeGirl

We have chosen select dining for our past 3 cruises and love it. I still make reservation for a general time, when we enter dining room if we have like a certain area we just request that area again and usually end up with same waiter.

We had 6:00pm traditional dining on our recent cruise to Alaska on the Infinity. We were on a table for 8, and our first night was a nightmare. We 'volunteered' to switch from Traditional to Select and Denis the Maitre 'd sorted everything out for us. We were able to sit a table for two every night, and all except one night, had the same waiter. Even on the night where we were not at his table, he still came and served us :) We never had to wait long for a table, and usually dined between 6 and 7:30 pm. I would definitely opt for select dining next time.

We have select dining on our first Celebrity cruise. Not new cruising or My Time Dining with Royal. I have Iodine allergies so have to have be careful. I am wondering what is best to maintain safety if you can't have same wait staff in Select. I use My Time Dining with Royal, but end up with same wait staff.

We have select dining on our first Celebrity cruise. Not new cruising or My Time Dining with Royal. I have Iodine allergies so have to have be careful. I am wondering what is best to maintain safety if you can't have same wait staff in Select. I use My Time Dining with Royal, but end up with same wait staff.

Colleen - even with Select Dining you can have the same staff. The appropriate dining staff will be available in the MDR at embarkation, so you can chat then. Making a reservation for a specific time in advance will probably make the seating in a particular section easier. The Concierge Class hostess would be able to help you with reservations.

Edited by MarKay525

I will be trying to change from BLU on Solstice to MDR select for more options for dining. Any thoughts?

Don't know if you can do it in advance - it can be arranged thru the BLU Maitre d. Stop by BLU upon embarkation for guidance.

This thread may be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2330757&highlight=blu+mdr

Edited by MarKay525

I pre booked our Select dining time for 7.15-7.30pm about 3 weeks before we sailed. Apart from the first night when we were allocated a table for 8, we were on a table for 2 in the same location every night. This was brilliant for me, as I am Lactose intolerant. I pre- ordered my meals every evening for the following day and our waiter (Han) really looked after me well.

We pre reserved online our Select dining time of 7pm each evening on the Eclipse last two weeks and usually arrived within 10 mins either side of that time. We had the same table and same wait staff each evening and the Maitre D has noted our Sep sailing to try and get us the same wait staff then as they were excellent. However, it was the first time we had seen those without reservations sometimes being given a pager.

Our table for two was just a few inches from another table for two and a table for four and we really enjoyed our chats with our neighbours each evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had no problem changing to Select. The TA sorted it all out :)

Now I just need to consider if I want to reserve a time, or just turn up as and when we decide to eat each night.

We pre reserved online our Select dining time of 7pm each evening on the Eclipse last two weeks and usually arrived within 10 mins either side of that time. We had the same table and same wait staff each evening and the Maitre D has noted our Sep sailing to try and get us the same wait staff then as they were excellent. However, it was the first time we had seen those without reservations sometimes being given a pager.

Our table for two was just a few inches from another table for two and a table for four and we really enjoyed our chats with our neighbours each evening.

They won't guarantee the same waitstaff in Select, it's just if you're lucky enough to get the same ones. We had pre-booked one cruise and loved the staff we had on the first couple of nights, then another group didn't like where they were put and asked to be moved. 'Our' table was given to them and we were allocated another on the following evening (the one they had rejected). When we asked the Maitre d' why had we been moved when we were perfectly happy where we were sitting each night, the reply was that in Select you are seated where the staff place you (it doesn't matter if you like the waitstaff and table and are seated there on subsequent nights - even with a reservation for the same time each night - there are no guarantees).

They may be more flexible with pax with allergies, but otherwise it's the luck of the draw.

We asked last year for the same staff on Equinox after our April cruise, knowing we would be back on her in the August, and were told the staff could be placed anywhere on the ship. So no guarantees the same waitstaff will even be in the same section that you are allocated to - never mind with the same waiter ;).

Edited by villauk

Don't know if you can do it in advance - it can be arranged thru the BLU Maitre d. Stop by BLU upon embarkation for guidance.

This thread may be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2330757&highlight=blu+mdr

We were "upgraded" to Aqua without our input, (not excited about BLU) so we were able to get a specific MDR traditional at 8:30. (well, at least I am TOLD that is what we will have). Should be possible thru either your TA or Celebrity dining directly.

...an hope the politics don't come up

I hear you! On our last cruise with assigned seating, we were seated with a fellow in an 8 top who wanted to talk about politics and that's all! He insisted on dominating the conversation each night. Another time we were seated with a guy from Alabama who wanted to re-litigate the Civil War each and every night.

Since then, we have sailed in Aqua and eat in Blu quite happily.

I hear you! On our last cruise with assigned seating, we were seated with a fellow in an 8 top who wanted to talk about politics and that's all! He insisted on dominating the conversation each night. Another time we were seated with a guy from Alabama who wanted to re-litigate the Civil War each and every night.

Since then, we have sailed in Aqua and eat in Blu quite happily.

Well I must be lucky, never had an issue with table mates. I have always chosen traditional( solo). On NCL there is no traditional dining. So hope when I cruise with them I make some foodie friends.

But I really enjoy the traditional dining. Same waiter, same faces made some good friends that way.

We had booked late traditional for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise in Oct. We have always liked that but are always a little nervous about what kind of table we'll get. In April we were on the Regal Princess TA and tried their Anytime Dining and really liked it. So after reading this thread, I decided to e-mail our TA and see if we could switch to Select. It took about 5 minutes! Thanks all