Ta keeps pushing me away from viking !

rentlady

hmmm....we sailed by the Parliament building at night on our Viking cruise....they made a big deal about everyone coming up on deck to see the beautifully lit buildings.......

People do find the strangest things to complain about!!!

Yes, we've sailed past the Parliament several times...even south-bound towards Romania, the captain sailed us north to Margit Island to view the Parliament and then turned around and headed down river. It was spectacular. It's probably up there in my top 3 favorite views in the world.

But this gentleman had his geography confused--we were in the Netherlands. he thought the Parliament was part of the itinerary and was complaining that he hadn't seen that as advertised on tv. He complained loudly to anyone who would listen. He even claimed to have called the owner of Viking and was getting a full refund. (For that and apparently the rain. Because the Viking owner is God who controls the weather.)

Baily Swedishfish....does Viking do much to encourage your loyalty to book future cruises? I think we were given $200/pp if booked within a year.

On Vantage it is initially 5% credit and slowly increases...after 3 cruises we will also get free custom air (plus cost difference if there is any).

Free upgrades. On our last Danube Waltz trip we got a free upgrade to the Veranda Suite. It was SWEET. We also have custom air and I don't know what else. We have a whole collection of Viking shot glasses. :-)

There's probably others, but at this point, it's more itinerary-based for us. We both love Christmas markets and Austria/Hungary. The Netherlands trip wasn't on our radar--we went with friends and it was on my friend's bucket list. We ended up having a blast and really loved Belgium (Bruges in particular) and just rolled with it. (But we did find the other passengers to be considerably older--as in quite elderly older. Probably due to an easier itinerary, or "tulip bucket list" kind of trip. But in our mid-50's we were the youngest on board by 20 years--at least. On other trips we've had no trouble finding others of the same or adjacent vintage.)

I would agree about a good TA being worth their weight in gold - especially since the pool is being diluted by all the ones who care only about volume to compete with the online giants. The competition is fierce!

That said, it doesn't sound like the OP's TA is attempting to educate him, if he has to come on this board and ask why ;)

The problem I have found with Travel Agent's though is that if they have sailed with any cruise line it has usually been on a complimentary basis.

I always take account of this fact when switched to receive mode.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

Edited by Solent Richard

From Bailey Swedishfish:

We've recently booked our 7th (yes, we've lost our damn minds...) Viking cruise. We've always booked directly with Viking and use Viking air. At this point, we pay the additional $50 to get the flights we want. (We always fly Delta out of MSP and we a ton of miles) We have found them to be very easy to work with and accommodating.

We like Viking. We don't need on-board fitness, a pool, a hot tub or nightly entertainment. We use the ship as our floating hotel and come and go as we please. Bikes would be nice but not necessary. We are fans of their sleek, modern Nordic décor (I hate curtains and ruffles and frou-frou) and their crew have been without fail, accommodating, friendly and fun to be around. I've seen them smile and be incredibly gracious to rude, unfriendly and unreasonably demanding guests. (I'm in the business of customer service and have seen it all and heard it all and Viking staff handle it all with grace and provide great dignity to those upset by their perceived service slights.) (One cannot make this stuff up: a guest on our most recent Windmills and Tulips tour was EXTREMELY irate the whole trip because 1) we didn't sail past the Parliament Building in Budapest as shown on the tv ads and 2) it rained a lot. In the Netherlands. In April. Bless his heart.)

Well, knock me over with a feather - someone praising Viking! :D Love it! So tired of "Viking BAD" posts.

We have above and beyond service from them and we haven't even cruised yet!

But my reasons for responding are to ask you about Delta. We're flying Delta out to Amsterdam and back from Zurich, and I was wondering how they were. I know they used to be fantastic, but I'd heard they went down hill a bit. Not bad-mouthing them, just looking for some first hand experience :D. None of the airlines are like they used to be!

The problem I have found with Travel Agent's though is that if they have sailed with any cruise line it has usually been on a complimentary basis.

I always take account of this fact when switched to receive mode.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

This is true or at a TA rate. I would like to find a good local one, but I seem to be doing pretty well on my own ;)

But my reasons for responding are to ask you about Delta. We're flying Delta out to Amsterdam and back from Zurich, and I was wondering how they were. I know they used to be fantastic, but I'd heard they went down hill a bit. Not bad-mouthing them, just looking for some first hand experience :D. None of the airlines are like they used to be!

We had flights booked on Delta in 2011 for a river cruise that ended in Vienna. They cancelled the flight about 4 weeks prior to travel dates and told us we could get a refund or make our way to Munich on our own and at our expense to get the flight they were offering instead. We had to leave our cruise a day early, pay for train tickets and two hotel rooms as well as transfers.

In 2012 we were booked with Delta from Prague. Again, flight cancelled, this time with about 2 months notice, no alternative offered and I took the refund and rebooked with Lufthansa, at a much higher rate.

In 2013, we flew internationally with them for what I hope is the last time. I had miles to use up and wanted to be done with them. We had paid for economy comfort cabin and had confirmations for the two seat side. Upon airport check in, we saw that our seats had been changed. We were bumped back to economy and not even seated together. I was livid and they were completely unhelpful.

I am a 1.5 Million miler with Delta and have not given them any of my money since.

Edited by caviargal

Well, knock me over with a feather - someone praising Viking! :D Love it! So tired of "Viking BAD" posts.

We flew Delta from NY to Amsterdam last year in business class and it was ok....but not what I expected having been spoiled rotten by Lufthansa. However, we flew KLM business on the way back and it was fantastic!!!! Food, seats, service and a gift besides....KLM now my second choice of airline.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We had flights booked on Delta in 2011 for a river cruise that ended in Vienna. They cancelled the flight about 4 weeks prior to travel dates and told us we could get a refund or make our way to Munich on our own and at our expense to get the flight they were offering instead. We had to leave our cruise a day early, pay for train tickets and two hotel rooms as well as transfers.

In 2012 we were booked with Delta from Prague. Again, flight cancelled, this time with about 2 months notice, no alternative offered and I took the refund and rebooked with Lufthansa, at a much higher rate.

In 2013, we flew internationally with them for what I hope is the last time. I had miles to use up and wanted to be done with them. We had paid for economy comfort cabin and had confirmations for the two seat side. Upon airport check in, we saw that our seats had been changed. We were bumped back to economy and not even seated together. I was livid and they were completely unhelpful.

I am a 1.5 Million miler with Delta and have not given them any of my money since.

Delta has a policy that if your flight is changed, you can reschedule your flight at no additional cost. Did the cruise line cancel the flights or Delta?

Cyber Kat,

Add me to the list of "happy with Viking" CC users. We just came back from Bordeaux, and have already booked Viking cruise number 3 for next year. To say that we're happy with them would be an understatement :)

Jeff

This is true or at a TA rate. I would like to find a good local one, but I seem to be doing pretty well on my own ;)

You might look for a big on-line TA, one that gives you perqs for booking with them.

Delta has a policy that if your flight is changed, you can reschedule your flight at no additional cost. Did the cruise line cancel the flights or Delta?

I booked directly with Delta on all three occasions.

In scenario 1 and 2, they eliminated those cities entirely from their routings. There was no rescheduling offered - other than having to get myself and my travel companions to whatever city they were offering me flights from, at my personal expense - as those airports were no longer serviced by DL. They did nothing to protect us on their airline partners. Their policy was irrelevant and all we were offered was exactly as I stated.

I flew Delta as my airline of choice for many years. Now I avoid them like the plague.

Edited by caviargal

I flew Delta as my airline of choice for many years. Now I avoid them like the plague.

I didn't want to put it like that......but yeah, I avoid them like the plague. :D

Cyber Kat,

Add me to the list of "happy with Viking" CC users. We just came back from Bordeaux, and have already booked Viking cruise number 3 for next year. To say that we're happy with them would be an understatement :)

Jeff

Thanks - very glad to hear that !

Really not interested in using a big online TA. If I can't find someone local, I'll just continue to book on my own?

The only reason I use the big online TA is because they offer cash perks. I'm not one to turn down cash.

In scenario 1 and 2, they eliminated those cities entirely from their routings. There was no rescheduling offered - other than having to get myself and my travel companions to whatever city they were offering me flights from, at my personal expense - as those airports were no longer serviced by DL. They did nothing to protect us on their airline partners. Their policy was irrelevant and all we were offered was exactly as I stated.

I understand your unhappiness. Delta has been good for us. I don't care for American Airlines and United is OK but they like to route me through Chicago and I hate that airport.

I am surprised Delta didn't give you the option of another closely city like Munich.

I understand your unhappiness. Delta has been good for us. I don't care for American Airlines and United is OK but they like to route me through Chicago and I hate that airport.

I am surprised Delta didn't give you the option of another closely city like Munich.

The first time they did give me the option of Munich, on the same day and getting there on my own dime. We had to cut our trip short by a day (we work and do not always have the flexibility of last minute changes to travel plans), book tickets to take the train to Munich (on our dime), arrange taxis, and pay for an airport hotel in order to make the flight they offered in lieu of Vienna. In addition to the hassle and expense, I wasted a half day of my vacation getting all of that in order as my mom was with us, and I wanted things to go smoothly for her.

I have no love for American or United either. These days we fly Virgin internationally much of time and also have started flying with BA and Iberia. I have found the international carriers to be far superior in general to our domestic airlines, who can use some lessons in how to treat clients. YMMV

I see this thread has migrated towards airlines. As a frequent flyer and Delta Million Miler, I can tell you they all have issues.

Dropping flights to a city is for sure a big deal. Not sure what the answer is other than getting a refund. Still sucks.

As to normal flying, they are as good and as bad as most of them. With their reward costs going up, I keep saying we will burn through our miles, then we wind up using them again. We were recently able to get Biz tickets to Frankfurt for $1500, so bought tickets vs using points.

We find that booking air (points or cash) much easier on our own than through cruise lines. More control, and usually better pricing.

For those looking for more detailed information on airlines, flyertalk.com is a great source.

The only reason I use the big online TA is because they offer cash perks. I'm not one to turn down cash.

My issue with big online TAs is that it's a big machine. They are just interested in the booking and the commission. A local TA will be there if there is an issue. They will ask what you like and try to steer you to the right fit. They earn their keep, so to speak. For me the extra cash isn't worth giving up control of my booking - unless I'm getting the personal attention.

I could have booked my hotel in Amsterdam, for instance, cheaper through one of the online sites. BUT they had a no cancellation policy and I was booking 10 months out because it's a small hotel that fills up fast. Booking through the hotel website cost me more, but I can cancel up to 24 hours before. If I'd gone with the online site, I would have had to spend more to get insurance to cover the 2 night stay.

Yep! Although I river cruise with a provider that doesn't deal with TAs, but for ocean . . .

Really not interested in using a big online TA. If I can't find someone local, I'll just continue to book on my own?

For an $1800 kick back I would do business with the ----- ! And actually my agent at this agency is very responsive and provides good service too. So I will continue to book with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am trying to figure out why he keeps trying to divert my business to avalon/uniworld? Am I missing something? Will the t/a make a bigger commission from them or is Viking difficult to work with?

Rentlady: My husband and I are TA's and just experienced our first River Cruise on Emerald Waterways. We had been told by others to stay away from Viking because they are the low end of the ships.

I must say while we were in Vienna we walked through a Viking ship and we were pleased with what we saw. Everything looked very nice and spacious. I would say a 3.5-4 star. Of course we didn't get to see a room so I am not sure what they look like.

As fas as your TA goes: It is your vacation. If you want to go on Viking let your TA know what you have found out and why. Do make sure you do your research before and make sure you get what you want out of the ship? Your TA should have a river cruise comparison sheet that compares different river cruise lines. I would never advise my clients against any cruise line even the ones I have bad experience with. I am not a huge Carnival Cruise line person (we had the worse experience with them) but we book clients on them all the time. I just give them a little heads up but I let them make their own decisions. Now if I find a better a deal on another cruise line that is going to save my clients some money I will advise but they make the decision. :) Good luck!

Edited by ShannonSC2

I'm like you...I prefer to book river cruises on my own and that's why I like Vantage, but I do book ocean cruises with an on line company because of the perks and because I always get to talk to the same person, who now knows about our cabin and dining preferences.

I booked our first couple of cruises with one of those big on-line agencies, but I didn't like the first guy and when I decided to do a back to back, I booked the second part of it with another person from the same agency. I wanted to be sure to have the same cabin, so I changed the booking to be positive I would be in the same cabin. Then they upgraded me for the first part of the back-to-back without asking me - don't know if they asked the first agent. They said it was my fault for not checking the booking.

So then I had a European cruise and could not find a hotel to stay beforehand and I decided I should use a cruise agent. The cruise is no cheaper if I book myself, and if something happens, I have someone to fix it for me.

There is a good reason for this! I'd listen to your TA. You are getting good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your post did not help the OP, or anyone else.

What reasons/advice from the TA do you feel is "good advice"? We would love to know.