Lost room key problem

I wanted to let everyone know what to watch out for if you lose your room key.

My wife had this happen last week. She went to the guest relations desk and they made her a new one. A few hours later we found the original one. I put it away for safekeeping and she just used the new one. That is until......we went to get off the ship in Nassau. Apparently guest relation had made a new key to get her in the room, but it was not valid to get off the ship??????:confused:

She went back and got the old key and we were on our way.

I guess you need to specify that you want an entirely functional new key????

I'm not sure what surprises me more, the fact that they didn't make the new card fully functional or the fact that the old card wasn't deactivated when reported lost.

I suspect that she somehow switched the keys and gave them the old key to get off the ship.

Did you wife let them know that she lost the old one? Or just that she needed a new key? We have often gotten additional keys from guest services for our kids or others we are traveling with, that could only open the cabin door. Not doubting that they did it wrong, betting they most likely did, but good to have all the details.

Thanks for the heads up to clarify with guest services exactly what you are looking for.

Edited by akcruz

I had a similar issue.

On the last night of a cruise, I lost my SeaPass card.

No big deal, I went to Guest Services and got a replacement card. It was fine. It let me in the cabin and I could use it for my drink package.

However, the next morning, when I was about to disembark, they scanned my new SeaPass card and it made the "bad" sound because the security system didn't think I was onboard. They had to write down my name and cabin number on some to-do list and disembark me manually afterward.

Did they tell your wife to go back?

On my last Anthem cruise, I overheard somebody say she left everyone's key cards in their room; didn't know they would need again. The husband inquired with staff and he said they could get off without them. They just needed to show ID (as somebody else commented, they were manually checked off.) Just wondering if it's a ship by ship thing.

My record for sea passes is 5 on a seven day cruise. Guest relations were flabbergasted. I was asked was I keeping the pass near a magnet to which I replied I did not pack a magnet for the trip and as the words dropped out of my mouth I remembered the magnet in the case for my phone! Phone now in one pocket and seapass in another.

I had a problem on the Oasis a year ago- the Seapass card I was given at check-in did not scan when I tried to board 2 minutes later. Had to go back downstairs to get another one. That one allowed me on the ship, but had no charging capabilities. Third card had the same problem. Fourth card worked for a day or 2, then it stopped scanning as well. Fifth card was the charm..... But what a hassle.

Did you wife let them know that she lost the old one? Or just that she needed a new key? We have often gotten additional keys from guest services for our kids or others we are traveling with, that could only open the cabin door. Not doubting that they did it wrong, betting they most likely did, but good to have all the details.

Thanks for the heads up to clarify with guest services exactly what you are looking for.

Yep it's all in the detail.