Group cruise taking over Crow's Nest - advice?

Infi

From looking at the posts on the roll call, the square dance group will be 50 - 60 people. Not enough to take over the Crow's Nest full time. As others have said, the Dancers are paying for an Alaska cruise too, and will not have activities booked in conflict with prime Glacier Viewing Time. We know the caller involved (we are not part of his group) and he would NEVER exclude anyone from being in an area where dancing is going on as he wants to promote a POSITIVE image of square dancing!

Relax and enjoy the anticipation! It won't be long now:D

Size of the group is irrelevant - if they can take over a lounge, that's enough to be an inconvenience for other passengers.

I am looking forward to this cruise; however, the excitement is dimmed knowing this will be something I have to deal with.

Edited by Infi

I have been on many cruises with many groups. Some are "known groups" -- meaning the group is listed various places as a group like a quilter's group, a pharmacist or other medical group (get liscence renewal courses) once we had 400 top managers from TGIF restaurants along with families so most of ship (really cheap outside and inside cabins in that couldn't give one manager inside and one balcony) and adjusted my date by week to avoid a motorcycle riders cruise (with motorcycles taken off each port for rides!). So there are all kind of groups on. The "informal groups" are sometimes even worst than the formal ones. On one August cruise we had approximately 40+ Sixteen year old girls celebrating their birthdays with balls and parades and NOISE! Each girl had 50 or sixty relatives with them and they all had the unlimited drink package! Not my favorite especially at dinner where they all had huge tables of relatives and it seemed to slow the service down greatly. On a South American cruise large family groups (with many children that were not under the best of control) shocked me because I forgot to factor it was summer break (January!) and the boat had 600 children running wild (something I try to avoid by MY timing). Another difference is large groups of individuals of one language or cultural group. It was difficult with many older Chinese passengers who seemed to be in large groups at the table in the buffet areas for hours on end. With them not moving out of the way there were literally NO tables to eat at much of the time. They did not speak English or they were ignoring us so not much that we could do. Apologies from the staff but they could not move granny and granddad off and the marjong games went on the whole cruise. There are some lines that are advertising and even retro fitting the ships to sell to Asians. There might be some friction when two cultures meet up with different expectations and manners and habits. ( I won't mention the spitting of some of the elders!!)

These are the realities of life. Sometimes it does not work out just the way you had it planned. That can be bad or good. You can take the lemons and find a way to make lemonade (find a different area, different time, or alternate activity) or you can sit there with the lemon in your mouth bemoaning the fate that made you unhappy. Just be careful who you complain to -- the lower the staff ranking and the closer to the passenger (bar tender/steward/waiter etc) the less they have the ability to make real change. Just be kind -- too many have already told them off and they don't have anybody to unload on!!:rolleyes: Hope this does not happen to you but if it does -- find a way to relieve your stress/unhappiness that does not spread more unhappiness around without changing the situation because they can't.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

HAL should not allow that particular venue to be reserved, especially during a scenery cruise.

As for me, I not only think the group thing (allowing them to shut other cruisers out of public rooms) is outrageous and have long advocated for a cruise "bill of rights" which would inform anyone booking (or booked) on a cruise with large groups...to be informed and given the option to cancel or reschedule.

Cruisers make the reasonable assumption (based on information provided by the cruise lines) that public rooms are indeed public and will generally be available to everyone.

Agree with both of you. Groups should not be allowed to reserve prime public spaces like the Crow's Nest at ANY time, let alone on an Alaska cruise. If they need an entire room, let them use a conference room or theater when it's not in use or something. It's absolutely ridiculous that we "regular" cruisers pay our fares and end up with the possibility of not being able to use prime public areas because we're not part of a group, AND that the cruise lines won't tell us about large groups!

I took the advice of someone who posted that the administrator of the group be contacted to see how many people will be in the group and which rooms they will be using. I sent an email to the administrator of Inspiration Cruises & Tours for their group to Alaska on the Westerdam July 9-16, 2016. Here is what she sent back. Doesn't tell me much.

"Thank you for your email and inquiry regarding your upcoming cruise. We will have a large group sailing with us though you should not see an impact to your vacation plans. The venue we will use onboard will be closed for our exclusive events, and the ship may rearrange their show schedule to accommodate, but they do plan to offer all the normal activities for all guests."

I took the advice of someone who posted that the administrator of the group be contacted to see how many people will be in the group and which rooms they will be using. I sent an email to the administrator of Inspiration Cruises & Tours for their group to Alaska on the Westerdam July 9-16, 2016. Here is what she sent back. Doesn't tell me much.

"Thank you for your email and inquiry regarding your upcoming cruise. We will have a large group sailing with us though you should not see an impact to your vacation plans. The venue we will use onboard will be closed for our exclusive events, and the ship may rearrange their show schedule to accommodate, but they do plan to offer all the normal activities for all guests."

I would call HAL's Group Administration department (1-888-425-9477) and

ask them your questions. If you don't get an adequate response I would email the President's Office about the lack of response. That email is: officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

It all depends upon how you define "vacation plans" and "offer all the normal activities".

If you planned on using the venue they have for their exclusive events, tough.

If you planned on "activities" that "normally" would be held in these venues, tough.

Basically, this response translates as we're doing what we want to do, where we want to do it, and when we want to. You won't be adversely affected because you can always find something else to do. If you want to watch glaciers from the Crows Nest when we have reserved it for our exclusive use, then you can always stand outside on the open deck.

And for all those who claimed they won't be square dancing in Glacier Bay, so what? If they can reserve the Crows Nest for square dancing, they can reserve it for their exclusive use for sight seeing in Glacier Bay.

In most instances, a group reserving an area or room reserves it for an event or activity exclusive to that group. Glacier viewing is not a activity or event exclusive to square dancing.

If I'm wrong about this, you can beat me with virtual sticks when the OP returns and reports that the Crow's Nest was off limits for the most or all of the cruise.

Roz

In most instances, a group reserving an area or room reserves it for an event or activity exclusive to that group. Glacier viewing is not a activity or event exclusive to square dancing.

If I'm wrong about this, you can beat me with virtual sticks when the OP returns and reports that the Crow's Nest was off limits for the most or all of the cruise.

Roz

A group can negotiate for the exclusive use of any venue, at any time, for any reason. Whether they can succeed in those negotiations will only depend upon the size of the group and the amount of money they want to spend. For example, a square dance group that wants to use the Crows Nest for dancing can certainly do so. That same group can book the Crows Nest for any other activity that they want to do as a group. If they want to see Glacier Bay as a group, then they can negotiate for that.

Too many are too focused upon square dancing. If the issue was a place to hold a square dance, there are other more appropriate places for that. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that this group knows that the Crows Nest is prime property for scenic purposes as well as for dancing and that they want to ensure that their group has exclusive access during prime times.

I sent a follow up note to Inspiration Cruises asking again how many people are part of their group. She said about 600 people and we wouldn't even know they were on board unless we see their event signage. Don't think they'll fit in the Crows Nest. Guess we'll wait and see how it goes.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You got more info than I did when asking from the group coordinator for my cruise. But given their type of group, I can see why it was "I can't tell you that'. I have countered with a simpler question to see what I can get. The group website doesn't say much about their past conferences to help me out.

You got more info than I did when asking from the group coordinator for my cruise. But given their type of group, I can see why it was "I can't tell you that'. I have countered with a simpler question to see what I can get. The group website doesn't say much about their past conferences to help me out.

A couple months ago when I found out this group would be on our cruise, I went to their website and requested their brochure about the cruise. I was hoping to get more specific information but just got a list of speakers along with promoting Alaska.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I am also on the Maasdam for the 2-week cruise to Alaska leaving July 4. This is my 3rd time for that route, which is most enjoyable. I am not convinced that the square-dance group will dominate the Crow's Nest during the cruise through the Tracey Arm and Hubbard bays. Both bays are very scenic. There are so many places to enjoy the scenery from the ship; I am usually all over the place. I am certain things will work out; that there will be no conflict.

Edited by JessWright

Thank you both for the suggestions, I really appreciate them. We have been on the S-class before, but the two of you listed some areas I hadn't thought of and will be sure to use. RuthC, you are so right on getting outdoors and breathing in the fresh air; that is one of the things I look forward to most in Alaska. One of us will be using a scooter on this cruise, which makes it a little more complicated to get to the out of the way places and some of the upper decks, but these suggestions will come in handy. Many thanks!

Any advice on where to look out from on Rotterdam? Greenland and Iceland are the highlights. First time on a HAL ship and Princess ships information will not do it.:p

I too am on this cruise and am not overly concerned. I'd also understood the group to have about 50 people. Square dancing takes up considerable space so the cruise nest would probably be the only suitable venue on an R or S class ship. My parents were avid square dancers so it should be fun to have some square dancers on the ship. They are usually very friendly people.

Keep an open mind on square dancing. It is really a blast and the square dancers are really friendly. Some of the best movement and fun to boot. Believe me they will be teaching beginners if anybody wants to learn and like ball room dancers it is fun to see the dancers. You think you have packing problems? -- When I was dancing I had 75 yard petticoats!:eek: and each dress has it's petticoat, lace panties, shoes, matching shirt and tie for guys and no I would not wear one petticoat with a dress that did not match. HAHA it was so much fun. What cruise was that -- it would be a blast.

We're booked on an Alaskan cruise next month where a square dancing group will also be onboard. From what I've read, it looks like they'ill be taking over the Crow's Nest on sea days, which is less than desirable in Alaska considering all of the viewing opportunities and sea days with glacier viewing. Although we've been on cruises with groups many times before, we've never been on one where a group completely took over a lounge, particularly not one with as prime indoor real estate as the Crow's Nest on an Alaskan cruise. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how did you manage? I'm disappointed and wish I could change our sail date, but at this point, it's too late. Any advice is much appreciated.

I suppose you could always take up square dancing! :p

I have been on Alaska cruises on both HAL and Princess when groups have been on board. On both lines I have seen cases where the groups have had private functions in prime viewing venues during the period when the ships were in Glacier Bay, specifically so their group would have good indoor areas for glacier viewing. For example on my last cruise on Princess, a travel agent, that had booked a group of 300 on the ship was able to have

Sky Walkers (kind of the Princess equivalent of Crows Nest) reserved as a private event for just her group while the ship was in Glacier Bay. Had the same thing happen with Crows Nest on a HAL ship a few years back.

Kathyfromstl, We are on that July 9th cruise. Talked to someone from "Inspirations" a few days ago. Rep. would not give me an exact number, said they could book up to half the ship. Did indicate most of their activities would be in evening hours. Already know we cannot have late set seating in MDR. Good Luck to both of us.

Keep an open mind on square dancing. It is really a blast and the square dancers are really friendly.

That's not the point. The point is, they have a prime venue of the ship reserved for their private functions during a scenic cruise. The Crow's Nest is the most scenic and relaxing lounge on the ship and the fact that it is being closed to the rest of the passengers to accommodate a private group is infuriating to many. That particular lounge is one of the reasons people are drawn to HAL.

Had a group of Dixieland players and fans on a trip a few years back. Same issues w/ taking over public areas. Got REAL tired of Dixieland by the end of the week.

But that was a piece of cake compared to a group from The Nation, a liberal propaganda magazine. What a bunch of smug, self-deluded pains in the butt. I ended up crafting a hand made "fair and balanced" tag out of an around the neck passport holder and wore that all week in protest. Got quite a few high fives from others who weren't fans of that "Code Pink" bunch and their histrionics. They even staged a protest march against the Grand Cayman bankers when we were there. I'll take the square dancers.

of older gay men and their younger admirers. We travel w/ a childhood friend and his wife. He is a day younger than me, so he told me that I was going have to be the older gay man. *L* They didn't really cause any issues and we got a laugh out of our respective roles in fitting in.

Had a group of Dixieland players and fans on a trip a few years back. Same issues w/ taking over public areas. Got REAL tired of Dixieland by the end of the week.

But that was a piece of cake compared to a group from The Nation, a liberal propaganda magazine. What a bunch of smug, self-deluded pains in the butt. I ended up crafting a hand made "fair and balanced" tag out of an around the neck passport holder and wore that all week in protest. Got quite a few high fives from others who weren't fans of that "Code Pink" bunch and their histrionics. They even staged a protest march against the Grand Cayman bankers when we were there. I'll take the square dancers.

Well michmike2, I might need the 'fair and balanced - and by the way, I am a Canadian' sign.....my upcoming cruise includes The Weekly Standard conference cruise with their neoconservatism and pro Clinton perspective and I anticipate that to be another bunch of smug, self-deluded pains in the butt - just like any overly imbalanced perspective. I am not saying one political party or perspective is better or worse, but I grew up where 'politics, religion and money' is not discussed so I am not going to be comfortable if there is too much impact. (not saying that being a West Coast granola girl has anything to do with it - oh no ;))

Edited by mef_57

.....my upcoming cruise includes....

Thing is, your cruise is still 6 months away and you have the option of canceling or rescheduling. Most of us don't know there's a venue-reserving group on board until it's too late.

Well michmike2, I might need the 'fair and balanced - and by the way, I am a Canadian' sign.....my upcoming cruise includes The Weekly Standard conference cruise with their neoconservatism and pro Clinton perspective and I anticipate that to be another bunch of smug, self-deluded pains in the butt - just like any overly imbalanced perspective. I am not saying one political party or perspective is better or worse, but I grew up where 'politics, religion and money' is not discussed so I am not going to be comfortable if there is too much impact. (not saying that being a West Coast granola girl has anything to do with it - oh no ;))

The identification of the groups is fine, but expanding the political elements is not. Please stay on the original topic.

Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt