Group cruise taking over Crow's Nest - advice?

Infi

We're booked on an Alaskan cruise next month where a square dancing group will also be onboard. From what I've read, it looks like they'ill be taking over the Crow's Nest on sea days, which is less than desirable in Alaska considering all of the viewing opportunities and sea days with glacier viewing. Although we've been on cruises with groups many times before, we've never been on one where a group completely took over a lounge, particularly not one with as prime indoor real estate as the Crow's Nest on an Alaskan cruise. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how did you manage? I'm disappointed and wish I could change our sail date, but at this point, it's too late. Any advice is much appreciated.

We're booked on an Alaskan cruise next month where a square dancing group will also be onboard. From what I've read, it looks like they'ill be taking over the Crow's Nest on sea days, which is less than desirable in Alaska considering all of the viewing opportunities and sea days with glacier viewing. Although we've been on cruises with groups many times before, we've never been on one where a group completely took over a lounge, particularly not one with as prime indoor real estate as the Crow's Nest on an Alaskan cruise. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how did you manage? I'm disappointed and wish I could change our sail date, but at this point, it's too late. Any advice is much appreciated.

On glacier viewing days I would be on a lower deck than the Crows Nest and outdoors to get a better view and feel for the glaciers (plus hearing the glacier calving).

Having said that, on one cruise we spent glacier viewing day in the Hydro pool viewing the glacier in great warmth and comfort while also watching the masses out on deck freezing.

We had recently been to the same glacier, so it was not a big deal for us.

Until someone from the ship told me I had to leave, I'd grab a seat and enjoy the view I paid for. If they're square dancing, the music alone would be enough to drive me to find an alternative viewing location.

Unfortunately, this happens. We have seen the whole CN blocked ("private party" sign up) for maybe 4 hours at a time for a group. The other sea days this could very well happen and you just have to go with it. Try the Explorers's Lounge which is low and has big windows or the Ocean Bar.

I doubt if HAL will do this on a Glacier day because the Rangers are up there with their info table and are talking to the pax.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hello, Infi -

Cruizer Bill and his wife Diana, who are on the July 4th roll call with you, will be on this cruise. You could ask your questions directly to him regarding your concerns. I'm pretty sure that the square dancing group will not be in the Crow's Nest on the Hubbard Glacier day of your itinerary, because a park ranger and a representative of the Yakutat Tlingit tribe will be onboard that day giving their presentations.

I know Bill and Diana, and they are nice folks. I think their square dance group leader indicated he would be willing to give a square dance lesson to non-group passengers. Hope it all works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Have a great cruise in the Great Land:)

Edited by middle-aged mom
spelling

On glacier viewing days I would be on a lower deck than the Crows Nest and outdoors to get a better view and feel for the glaciers (plus hearing the glacier calving).

Having said that, on one cruise we spent glacier viewing day in the Hydro pool viewing the glacier in great warmth and comfort while also watching the masses out on deck freezing.

We had recently been to the same glacier, so it was not a big deal for us.

You're right, it's a good idea to move around to fully appreciate the scenery, but occasionally, you do have to come indoors for some warmth which is when the Crow's Nest comes in handy. The hydropool area is a nice suggestion, but I don't think we will buy the pass.

This will be our fourth time Alaska, so it's not our first time seeing the glaciers. It's more the principle of it. I wish they'd chosen a different venue - the Showroom, for example, has a dancefloor and movable furniture that make it more than suitable for this purpose and doesn't take away from prime Alaska viewing real estate.

Until someone from the ship told me I had to leave, I'd grab a seat and enjoy the view I paid for. If they're square dancing, the music alone would be enough to drive me to find an alternative viewing location.

Precisely. In addition to taking over the lounge, the music is another huge negative.

Precisely. In addition to taking over the lounge, the music is another huge negative.

You could get some really good earplugs to block out the sound. Then when a staff members tells you that you have to leave the good viewing area that you paid good money to be in, you will not be able to hear them.

Seriously, I paid for a complete ASK cruise including access to good viewing areas and if anyone asked me to leave, I would bump it up the chain of command on the ship. If a couple of hundred people invaded the lounge, what are they going to do - kick us all out?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On our Alaskan cruise on Noordam last summer there was a huge group on board that had Crows Nest reserved part of each day. But Crows Nest was always open to the general public when needed for glacier viewing and other important times.

You could get some really good earplugs to block out the sound. Then when a staff members tells you that you have to leave the good viewing area that you paid good money to be in, you will not be able to hear them.

Seriously, I paid for a complete ASK cruise including access to good viewing areas and if anyone asked me to leave, I would bump it up the chain of command on the ship. If a couple of hundred people invaded the lounge, what are they going to do - kick us all out?

DON

Seriously, yes, the would kick you out as they have no other choice. These groups negotiate a contract with the cruise line specifying the areas where they will have exclusive access and the time for that access. If the cruise line allowed you to stay, they would be in breach of the contract and subject to various penalties.

Refuse to leave and you will be talking to the chief of security, not the captain. Make a real scene and you might be finding another way home from the next port of call.

I suggest you read your cruise contract which is much different than the contract the group negotiates. There is nothing there about the cruise line being obligated to provide: "a complete ASK cruise including access to good viewing areas."

I would call HAL's Group Administration department (1-888-425-9477) and express you concerns about lack of access to the Crow's Nest. It's much better to sort out the issue before the cruise starts and access to venues is set in stone. The President's Office told me several years ago that even with groups on board all passengers should receive the same service and "access to shipboard amenities".

I would also email the President's Office with your concerns. That email is: officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

Based on what I've read and seen it seems that the HAL staff on the ship bend over backward to accomodate the group wishes. I'm sure HAL corporate can rein them in.

I would call HAL's Group Administration department (1-888-425-9477) and express you concerns about lack of access to the Crow's Nest. It's much better to sort out the issue before the cruise starts and access to venues is set in stone. The President's Office told me several years ago that even with groups on board all passengers should receive the same service and "access to shipboard amenities".

I would also email the President's Office with your concerns. That email is: officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

Based on what I've read and seen it seems that the HAL staff on the ship bend over backward to accomodate the group wishes. I'm sure HAL corporate can rein them in.

It's not a question of reining them in, it's one of what facilities they have contracted for. I don't know who in the President's Office told you that "all passengers should receive the same service and 'access to shipboard amenities'" as that is patently false information.

I have been on a cruise where virtually every room was taken on sea days, including the card room and/or Hudson Room. Makes it tough to find a place to play games; but that's the way it goes. Since then I have always scoured sources to see if there are groups on the sailing I've chosen that I think would interfere with my plans.

I can't blame the cruise line, though. Groups are a good revenue stream. That's what they're in business for.

It's not a question of reining them in, it's one of what facilities they have contracted for. I don't know who in the President's Office told you that "all passengers should receive the same service and 'access to shipboard amenities'" as that is patently false information.

It's actually in a letter I received from one of the Special Advisors in the Office of the President. That actually was a quote from the letter.

If the contract specifically says that X group has exclusive access to the Crow's Nest on Y days - that's one thing. But I doubt the contract is that specific. If it were me I'd call the Group Administrator department and ask that question.

It's actually in a letter I received from one of the Special Advisors in the Office of the President. That actually was a quote from the letter.

If the contract specifically says that X group has exclusive access to the Crow's Nest on Y days - that's one thing. But I doubt the contract is that specific. If it were me I'd call the Group Administrator department and ask that question.

Unfortunately, my personal experience and the comments I've read here many times over confirm that groups most certainly contract for the exclusive use of certain rooms. As I was concerned about one group on a cruise a couple of years ago, I wrote to the group coordinator to determine their size and intended facility use. I received a very nice reply in which the coordinator provided an exact list of the rooms and times reserved for the group. Fortunately, they were few in number and had no impact on my cruise.

As disappointing as this may seem, I spend almost no time in the Crow's Nest, too crowded and noisy. And people hog the front chairs so I'd have to stand.

I like the Verandah Deck, forward, just under the bridge, or aft where it is sheltered.

I also like the Observation deck which is accessed through the exercise room on Lido, port side and wraps around the front for good forward and side viewing.

If the weather is wet use the aft terrace, the Verandah Deck aft or the Lower Promenade Deck. Use the chairs there when you want rest but viewing really needs to be standing up.

And inside the Lido is good too especially if you find a table near the aft or mid from where you can see both sides.

There's a lot to see and many place to see from, try them all. Enjoy, m--

All agents booking groups will ensure that the group has access to those facilities they need to exercise their activity. If it is a music group, then they have access to a place to hold their concerts. The access will be exclusive to the group since the group will have paid a surcharge for their group.

A square dance group will most certainly have contracted for a specific facility to ensure they have a place to dance. Places and times will be carefully spelled out in their contract to ensure there is no misunderstanding.

I'm sure the President's Office told you that all passengers should receive the same service and "access to shipboard amenities". However, that is certainly untrue. For example, there are often special events for those with high mariner status. Suites get breakfast in the Pinnacle. Obviously, not all passengers get those services and access.

If pressed, the President's Office would probably say that even though a group had exclusive access to certain areas at certain times, those areas were available to you during other times.

We are 3 star mariners and my FAVORITE place on the ship is the Crows Nest. I spend time in the day and evening there. Sometimes to read, or watch the scenery. I have been on cruises where a group of contracted people have blocked it off. However, they have usually been very sympathetic to me asking if I could just stay and keep out of the way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I too think this is what is advertised as a common area, and I have paid good $ for my trip, and I should not be denied using it. It's not like it is a closed area like a banquet room.

We just returned from an Alaska Cruise on the Maasdam, and as long as you don't mind standing outside, the before mentioned Observation area forward of the Gym is a great location for viewing and taking photos while at the glacier. If it gets cold just go into the gym for a while to warm up ...no one was using it while we were at the glaciers and they didn't seem to mind folks coming inside for a while . Many of the crew members where at the Observation area taking pictures too!

Unfortunately, my personal experience and the comments I've read here many times over confirm that groups most certainly contract for the exclusive use of certain rooms. As I was concerned about one group on a cruise a couple of years ago, I wrote to the group coordinator to determine their size and intended facility use. I received a very nice reply in which the coordinator provided an exact list of the rooms and times reserved for the group. Fortunately, they were few in number and had no impact on my cruise.

Foremco, did you email your request? I see a generic email for HAL and phone numbers for group services, but no specific email for group (or I don't know how to look). I am on a cruise in Dec with what might be a big group. The ship is certainly quite well booked for six months out. I have high expectations for this cruise and as a solo traveler, it isn't inexpensive, so I would like to know beforehand just what expectations I need to alter - if any. Thanks.

Groups having exclusive use of venues, such as the Crow's Nest does happen on HAL -- no matter what the President's office says. Our friend got her introduction to cruising by going with me on HAL. She loved it. Her next few cruises were with her DH and DB/SIL on Princess. Her birthday was coming around and she picked HAL, telling the others about how WONDERFUL it was in the Crow's Nest. Unfortunately her birthday cruise had a poker group on board. They had exclusive use of the Crow's Nest 24/7 - poker was available around the clock. They couldn't even get in to take a peek. While she's been back on HAL (with me), her DH and DB/SIL haven't set foot on a HAL ship in the 10+ years since.

Good luck!

Foremco, did you email your request? I see a generic email for HAL and phone numbers for group services, but no specific email for group (or I don't know how to look). I am on a cruise in Dec with what might be a big group. The ship is certainly quite well booked for six months out. I have high expectations for this cruise and as a solo traveler, it isn't inexpensive, so I would like to know beforehand just what expectations I need to alter - if any. Thanks.

Let me apologize for a post that I now realize could be interpreted in a couple of different ways.

I sent an email to the coordinator for the organization making making the booking, not to a "group coordinator" with HAL. I was able to find this person's name and email address on the organization's webpage. I a similar thread some time ago, someone posted that HAL is unwilling to provide detailed information in advance, which is why I chose to try approaching the group instead. You might want to give that a try.

Edited by Fouremco