Group cruise taking over Crow's Nest - advice?

Infi

Funny how some people insist on using "partial charter" here while in the real world there are "charters" (full ship) and "groups" (large or small affinity group taking up part of a ship). :)

Things are much simpler in the real world than on Cruise Critic sometimes. :D

I've no dog in this fight and it doesn't matter to me whether we refer to a "group booking" or "partial charter", as long as I have a pretty good idea of what the potential impact is on other passengers. In any event, as this is the HAL board and we are discussing HAL bookings, I thought I'd see what the website might have to say. In HAL's terminology, there are Group Incentives and Full-Ship Charters.

Go to http://www.hollandamerica.com/corporateIncentives/Main.action# for further info.

Funny how some people insist on using "partial charter" here while in the real world there are "charters" (full ship) and "groups" (large or small affinity group taking up part of a ship). :)

Things are much simpler in the real world than on Cruise Critic sometimes. :D

These sarcastic comments are really uncalled for, especially since what I'm saying is factual. Look at this article. This is right from Cruise Critic.

Scroll down to "How to Charter a Ship," and then look at the 4th and 5th paragraphs.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=760

Here's another one. Look at the end of the second paragraph:

http://www.cruise-ship-charter.com/html/cruise_ship_charters_q_a.html

Here's another one. The title in the article says it all:

http://www.smithpollin.com/charters

5th paragraph down in this one:

http://www.cruisedreamgroupescapes.com/cruise-programs/cruise-ship-charters/

I can keep going but I think I've made my point. Partial charters do exist as every one of these sites explains, and there is a difference between a partial charter and a group.

Edited by Aquahound

• 1 month later...
We're booked on an Alaskan cruise next month where a square dancing group will also be onboard. From what I've read, it looks like they'ill be taking over the Crow's Nest on sea days, which is less than desirable in Alaska considering all of the viewing opportunities and sea days with glacier viewing. Although we've been on cruises with groups many times before, we've never been on one where a group completely took over a lounge, particularly not one with as prime indoor real estate as the Crow's Nest on an Alaskan cruise. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how did you manage? I'm disappointed and wish I could change our sail date, but at this point, it's too late. Any advice is much appreciated.

So, how did this turn out?

I didn't feel any impact of this on my cruise. There was one day the daily program listed the Crows Nest closed from 1 to 10:30. That had me concerned. Turned out it was a typo and it was closed at 10:30 pm to accommodate this groups private function. At other times when they were there the Crows Nest was open to anyone.

I was also on this cruise and there was no impact from the square dance group. They were in the Crows Nest for about 2 hrs. in the late mornings. They only used part of the Crows Nest (the dance area) and most of the Crows Nest was available to others during this time. People were also able to observe the dancing if they wished and non-group members could participate one of the days (think it was on the last sea day). I overheard a couple discussing participating in this non-member lesson and they'd enjoyed it.

We did the two week Alaska Maasdam cruise in June….loved it so much that we are booked for the same cruise next year on the Amsterdam. The square dance group would seriously bother us. We love the CN and spend time there reading, I do needlework, and watch the scenery. Fortunately, prior to booking , I looked at the roll calls for all the dates that would be acceptable to us and immediately ruled out the square dance cruise after one member commented about looking for their SD group in the Crow’s Nest. Spin it anyway you want, that noise is not for us!

Edited by JudithLynne

We did the two week Alaska Maasdam cruise in June….loved it so much that we are booked for the same cruise next year on the Amsterdam. The square dance group would seriously bother us. We love the CN and spend time there reading, I do needlework, and watch the scenery. Fortunately, prior to booking , I looked at the roll calls for all the dates that would be acceptable to us and immediately ruled out the square dance cruise after one member commented about looking for their SD group in the Crow’s Nest. Spin it anyway you want, that noise is not for us!

The Crow's Nest is a bar! I usually expect it will be somewhat noisy.

I would describe it as a lounge. During the day we found the CN to very quiet and peaceful, much like being in a library. We have found this on other cruises also.

I've not found that when doing scenic cruising - Alaska glaciers, Norwegian fjords, Stockholm archipelago, etc. It's usually packed and noisy. Ocean bar, on the other hand, can be a quiet oasis most days...

Just came across a review of a Celebrity cruise to Alaska where it was claimed that there was a group of 1,000 people from a particular Indian religious group. I am rethinking my whole idea of a cruise in Alaska with all these stories!

Cruizer Diana and I were part of the Square Dance Group. We had a wonderful time on this cruise and met a lot of super people. We danced from 10 to noon every sea day EXCEPT for the day we were scheduled to cruise Tracy Arm Fjord. On that day, we danced from about 9:50 to 10 AM and then stopped so people could enjoy the cruising and Naturalist. On the day we cruised Hubbard Glacier, the ship did not arrive there until 3 PM, that was three hours after we finished our dancing.

We had two days we invited new people to come dance with us and on one of those days we brought our Cruise Director Jeremy into a square and he had a great time with us. We also did a lot of Round Dancing (choreographed ballroom dancing) and that brought a lot of positive attention from other cruisers. We had a terrific time and hope others enjoyed us being there. We are just about the friendliest group of people you will see on a cruise and hope you come up and talk with us!

That's a "group", not a "charter". The group "books" cabins; it does not "charter" them. A "charter" books out the entire ship.

Very confusing the way you put it.

^^ Thiis I agree with Ruth. It is either a charter orvroup.......... not a partial c harter.

Edited by sail7seas

I can keep going but I think I've made my point. Partial charters do exist as every one of these sites explains, and there is a difference between a partial charter and a group.

What I get from these articles is that a "partial charter", is a term manufactured by the writers of these articles, various TA's and organizations that are also promoting group charters. These "partial charters" are actually "groups". As more than one of these articles makes clear, a "charter" is when an organization or group takes over the entire ship. Their use of "partial charter" sounds good but it really is a "group". From the Cruise Critic article:

"A partial ship charter comes into play when a group wants only some cabins. They do have to meet a minimum: Some cruise lines will only draw up a charter contract for 50 percent or more, while others will consider a 20 or 40 percent ship charter. For example, there is a special interest group of motorcyclists ("Hogs on the High Seas") that books a partial ship charter twice a year. Upfront payment isn't required here -- but payment and cancellation terms are more stringent than for the honeymoon couple or family of four booking just one stateroom, and heavy penalties apply for non-booked space."

On the Volendam 6/29 sailing. the Crows nest was reserved for a group only a few times. It was a jazz group using it for a rehearsal. Later in the cruise the same group was preforming in the Ocean Bar for all to enjoy. the other time it had a private function sign was on Canada day. HAL had a reception just for Canadian Passengers. on another day mix and ocean bar had half the bar reserved for private functions at the same time. If a ship has a conference room they will try to offer that to groups to minimize disruption to other venues. The groups are able o choose. you may be able to tell how many groups are on board by th number of hospitality desks near the atrium. volendam had 3 desks

Edited by sergeant655