Tell me about the NEPTUNE lounge!

HUNKY

Especially on board Koningsdam.

We enjoyed the concierge lounge on Disney, with complimentary drinks (both soft and alcoholic), snacks, help with reservations, and private sun deck.

We also appreciated that there are two stewards assigned to take care of the stateroom.

Especially on board Koningsdam.

We enjoyed the concierge lounge on Disney, with complimentary drinks (both soft and alcoholic), snacks, help with reservations, and private sun deck.

We also appreciated that there are two stewards assigned to take care of the stateroom.

While HAL is at least experimenting with a self service honor bar in some Neptune Lounges the Neptune is not a full service bar. Typically the only complimentary drinks are coffee, tea, and juices in the morning and coffee, tea, ice tea, and maybe lemonade at other times. Soft drinks are not complimentary anywhere on Holland America and are usually not available in the Neptune Lounge unless there is a special event for suite passengers.

There will be live concierge support during the Neptune Lounge's operating hours and phone support when the Lounge is closed. Typically Neptune and Pinnacle Suites have two stewards/assistants assigned to take care of your stateroom.

Edited by Randyk47

Typically Neptune and Pinnacle Suites have two stewards/assistants assigned to take care of your stateroom.
Most cabins have two stewards these days, but in a stern-corner SB on the Nieuw A we only had one. He only had 9 cabins to take care of, compared to the usual 30 or so for the 2-man teams. Edited by jtl513

Most cabins have two stewards these days, but in a stern-corner SB on the Nieuw A we only had one. He only had 9 cabins to take care of, compared to the usual 30 or so for the 2-man teams.

The NL is my go-to place early mornings for pastry, coffee, and CNN or BBC news on the big screen while my DW sleeps without me clanking around. My bride loves their finger sandwiches, veggies, etc., for lite lunches. We've been in the aft-wrap suites the last 3 cruises and have had superb stewards. Haven't noticed any loss in service whatsoever.

Neptune lounge has some magazines, tv., always a concierge or two, nibblees, whether it be breakfast continental (very nice choices), lunch or hors d'hoeuvres.

Nice coffee machine, better selection of teas, cookies, water, cranberry juice, etc (depending on time of day).

We saw an "honour bar" on our last cruise which we are told is being brought out on all the ships, but it is not free - you sign for your drinks. A nice idea but .....

Nevertheless, the concierges can do just about anything for you (especially if you get good ones) - specialty dining, shore excursions, issues, whatever.

No knowledge of the Koningsdam so can't speak to that - sorry.

• 1 month later...

No private sun deck, though if you rent a cabana for the week you have a private deck. Anyone can rent the cabana, not just Neptune guests. If they are available on your ship it was a very nice space and we would rent again on a non Alaska cruise.

The only private space the neptune provides is the lounge. You can get specialty coffees from the very nice machine for free. They have cold drinks throughout the day though you can always get a glass of something in the Lido, so it is more convenience than perk.

The concierge will be able to take care of anything you would otherwise need to stop by the front desk for....getting a copy of your bill up to that point, making a dining reservation, cashing a traveller's check, questioning an item on your statement or having an issue onboard.

If you have the beverage package, is the honor bar included (assuming under the $8 limit)?

Also, does anyone know what brand of tea they serve, whether in the Neptune Lounge or elsewhere?

In December or the NA I had the premium beverage package and it was not good for the honor bar. I had to fill out a ticket and give it to the concierge.

The interesting part was that I was never charged for the drink so I don't know if the ticket was lost in the shuffle or the concierge tossed it.

I did not like the lounge on N. A. they had the same little snacks every day. Couldn't linger as the sofas (they took up at least half of the place) were very close to the floor and hard to get out of. They were good for ice tea but since we were near the elevators that went right up to the Lido entrance, I could get ice tea there also. I did like our AFT wraparound though. Yes, I did know it was not close to the lounge but I had to have this cabin!!

If you have the beverage package, is the honor bar included (assuming under the $8 limit)?

Also, does anyone know what brand of tea they serve, whether in the Neptune Lounge or elsewhere?

The picture of the Neptune Lounge "Honor Bar" sign that was so helpfully posted by Krazy Kruizers indicates that the "Signature Beverage Package does not apply with the Honor Bar."

Edited by avian777

We have never stayed in a suite, so I don't have any personal experience with the NL. We did, on one occasion, tour the lounge with some friends staying in a suite and were not very impressed. I would not book a suite based on the NL being a perk. To each his own, jmo.

We have never stayed in a suite' date=' so I don't have any personal experience with the NL. We did, on one occasion, tour the lounge with some friends staying in a suite and were not very impressed. I would not book a suite based on the NL being a perk. To each his own, jmo.[/quote']

Well, as one who has used them, they are very beneficial. I love the concierges. They have helped me with meet and greets when I am missing cabin numbers and even offered to deliver the invites. (I deliver my own :) )

It's a relaxing venue and the coffee and teas are great.

the continental breakfast has a nice selection. We don't do it often but if we are on a heavy tour and time is tight, it is a good idea (see the washroom thread ;) )

It's very convenient and nice to use.

My favourites are admittedly on the smaller ships. Fewer people, nicer ambience, etc.

On the Vistas and above, a Signature Suite can do nicely. On the smaller ones - there is a big difference between the verandah and the huge ones in the S (or now SA and SB) categories ;)

Each to their own. A concierge can help a lot when needed. Some cruises you don't - others you do.

Edited by kazu

Ditto to what Kazu just posted. The Neptune Lounge and breakfast in the Pinnacle are the 2 big selling points for me in booking a Vista suite, besides the obvious extra cabin space. It's not often I get to book one, so I really enjoy and appreciate the perks when I can.

I like being able to go in there in the morning before the Pinnacle to have some coffee and fruit while I watch the news. It's a great place to catch a mid-afternoon snack after coming back from an excursion.

The concierges have helped me to book or change excursions, and settle up on the last morning without having to go to the front desk.

Roz

We've taken advantage of the Neptune Lounge on several occasions for a bite to eat and coffee when coming back late from excursions. Also found the Concierge to be fantastic in sorting out room cards that didn't work and changing Pinnacle bookings for us on both the Oosterdam and the Noordam.

Just as an aside - for those aft-wrap aficionados - which ones would you recommend as being the best on the Noordam (Vista Class)?

Cheers

Melissa

Edited by Lis2065

We've taken advantage of the Neptune Lounge on several occasions for a bite to eat and coffee when coming back late from excursions. Also found the Concierge to be fantastic in sorting out room cards that didn't work and changing Pinnacle bookings for us on both the Oosterdam and the Noordam.

Just as an aside - for those aft-wrap aficionados - which ones would you recommend as being the best on the Noordam (Vista Class)?

Cheers

Melissa

Best depends on what you want. They're all good. We haven't been on Noordam, but we've been on the other Vistas, and I think they're pretty much the same. We've been on deck 8, and although some people have said there's chair-moving noise from the deck above, we didn't have that problem. We prefer deck 7 because it's the same deck as the Lounge, so no carrying coffee/snacks up and down stairs (but a long walk). Deck 5 gets lots of raves for the size. You can have a large sailaway party on those corner balconies. Since it's just the two of us, we don't bother about the size. I think 5 also has the most complete coverage. I like that 7 usually has some sun and some shade, so we can move to where we're comfortable.

We enjoy the NL for the afternoon snacks and a cold iced tea after an excursion. We always take it back to our cabin and sit on the balcony. However, when we had the aft cabin, we didn't use the NL as much since it was so far away. We've always found the concierges to be very helpful and friendly.

The coffee/espresso machine is absolutely awesome in the Neptune. I bring my own thermal mug and make a cappuccino or two to take back to the verandah and sip while watching the ship dock. I also found on the Amsterdam last year in Alaska that the Neptune had a wonderful selection of Harney &Sons teas. The tea is packaged in little silk sachets and I though it quite nice.

Enjoy

Best depends on what you want. They're all good. We haven't been on Noordam, but we've been on the other Vistas, and I think they're pretty much the same. We've been on deck 8, and although some people have said there's chair-moving noise from the deck above, we didn't have that problem. We prefer deck 7 because it's the same deck as the Lounge, so no carrying coffee/snacks up and down stairs (but a long walk). Deck 5 gets lots of raves for the size. You can have a large sailaway party on those corner balconies. Since it's just the two of us, we don't bother about the size. I think 5 also has the most complete coverage. I like that 7 usually has some sun and some shade, so we can move to where we're comfortable.

Thanks for the advice - I'm really keen to experience an aft-wrap but DH loves midships... This information may just help me sway him!

Melissa