NCL Dining package/Platinum Latitudes

IWORK2CRUISE

Hi,

I thought I saw something about this previously but I cannot locate it.

We are Platinum Latitudes so we will each receive certificates/coupons for dinner for 2 at Le Bistro.

Well, when I booked the Breakaway it included a specialty dining package and an unlimited beverage package.

So, what happens to our Latitudes benefit?????

Do we get another benefit from Lattitudes?

Thanks,

Patti

We are Platinum Latitudes so we will each receive certificates/coupons for dinner for 2 at Le Bistro.

Well, when I booked the Breakaway it included a specialty dining package The main question is does the SDP cover every night on the cruise?and an unlimited beverage package.

If the answer to my question is "YES" then you will forfeit the Latitudes benefit unless you use them in place of 2 nights of the SDP.

You will have to decide if you want the free bottles of wine!!

Then you can forfeit 2 of the nights of the SDP instead.

If the answer is "NO" then there is no problem, use the Latitudes on two of the nights not covered by the SDP.

If you booked recently, you have a 3 night SDP. And two platinum latitudes certificates. You can use all 5 nights.

If you booked 6 months back, you have a 4 night SDP. And two platinum certificates. You can use all 6 nights.

If you booked over a year ago and have the Ultimate Dining Package, you have 7 nights UDP. And two platinum certificates. It would be better to use the UDP to pay for the dinner, and use the platinum certificate to get a bottle of wine or bottle of sparkling water two nights.

If you make your reservations online 90 days ahead of sailing (100 days for Havens/Suites guest), there is no difference between booking SDP, Platinum, or out-of-pocket restaurant reservations.

When you show up at the restaurant (Le Bistro or Italian), you have to tell the host how you are going to pay. SDP, Latitudes Certificate, or out-of-pocket.

We were on the Escape last month and ate at specialty restaurants 10 times. 4 on SDP. 2 on Platinum. 4 using onboard dining credit.

As others have said, it will depend on what package you have. We tried to use the SDP and just use our Plat certs for the wine and the server said no - he said something to do with accounting. I asked for supervisor which never came and then we just went with the Plat cert for dinner and wine. It wasn't worth the hassle.

Others have reported no problem using SDP and getting the Plat wine.

We will be in the same situation in NOvember. We have been told by others that we can use our 2 latitude dinners 2 nights because our dinner package is only 4 nights. I can't understand why they would not allow you to, at least get your bottle of wine. I think whoever didn't get theirs got royally ripped off. I would be pissed to say the least.

One other thing to consider is the plat is for dinner for two with a bottle of wine. So, you can use the plat to take someone who does not have the dining plan. And even if you have the UBP you can still take the wine back to your room.

I though that you cannot pre-book the free Platinum Le Bistro reservation, but must wait until your board.

This is what I thought too, and have always waited until boarding to book it until I read this post. I just booked the day/time I wanted and because it's ala carte there was no charge. I plan to present my platinum certificate when I arrive at the restaurant for the reservation. I will also ask the concierge to confirm no issues when I board.

I can also confirm on my last two cruises with UDP, one on BA one on POA, I was able to use my platinum certificate for just the bottle of wine without any issues.

Thank you for the great information.

I though that you cannot pre-book the free Platinum Le Bistro reservation, but must wait until your board.

It doesn't matter anymore, since it's a la carte, you make the reservation for $0, then you arrive, hand over the certificate and it covers one app, one main and one dessert each for two people, plus a bottle of wine.

We've booked Le Bistro in advance even before the ala carte. They would just refund it as OBC. Post ala carte booked it in advance and just give certificate.

Our experience with not being able to use plat cert for wine with SDP was on POA just this March.

We tried to use the SDP and just use our Plat certs for the wine and the server said no - he said something to do with accounting. I asked for supervisor which never came and then we just went with the Plat cert for dinner and wine. It wasn't worth the hassle.
Isn't it better to use the Platinum certificate for the whole meal plus the wine, and save your SDP meal for another time? What would have been the advantage of using your SDP and the certificate?

Isn't it better to use the Platinum certificate for the whole meal plus the wine, and save your SDP meal for another time? What would have been the advantage of using your SDP and the certificate?

With the Latitudes Cert you only get 1 app, 1 entrée and one desert. We wanted to get soup and salad and couldn't with the Certificate.

Hi,

I thought I saw something about this previously but I cannot locate it.

Well, when I booked the Breakaway it included a specialty dining package and an unlimited beverage package.

Do we get another benefit from Lattitudes?

Thanks,

Patti

Usually the dining package is not for all the nights. I have it for 4 nights on my 10 day cruise so I will use the 2 platinum dinners on the other nights-do you know how many nights the dining package covers?

With the Latitudes Cert you only get 1 app, 1 entrée and one desert. We wanted to get soup and salad and couldn't with the Certificate.

If you want more, no problem, you just have to pay for it. My husband likes a salad and an app so he just pays for the salad.

In that case I'd use the certificate and pay à la carte for the extra soup. An SDP credit is worth much more than the price of a starter course.

The only situation I could see it maybe being worthwhile to use both an SDP meal and a Platinum voucher to pay for a single meal would be if I wanted to eat two main courses. (Or if I had an SDP that covered the whole cruise, or all of the remaining days of the cruise, and I would be losing the Platinum meal anyway.)

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I wonder if you could have paid the a la carte price for the extra item??:confused:

I wonder if you could have paid the a la carte price for the extra item??:confused:

I don't see any reason why not. It would only be $5 or $6 at the most. You could check a Le Bistro menu for the a la carte prices. Better to do this and get the benefit of a mostly free night with the Platinum certificate and use your SDP somewhere another night.

The Platinum "one from each section" rule would not be a problem if they had the menu set up as is commonly done in most land restaurants and even the others on the ship, with appetizers in one section, soups and salads in another, then main courses, and then desserts. But in Le Bistro, appetizers, soups and salads are all in one section, then mains, then desserts, so you must choose between an appetizer, a soup, or a salad. If you want both the escargot and the wonderful mushroom soup, what's to do?

This conveniently limits NCL's cost for this "Reward". And they are hoping they can even make extra money on the deal by forcing you to pay extra for a soup or salad. So being the stubborn person I am, I did not play into this, but you are free to do so.;)

Edited by punkincc

We were on the Breakaway last week with the UDP for 4 nights and the UBP. We are also Platinum so we had 2 certificates for the Bistro with a bottle of wine.

We used the platinum certs for dinner in the Bistro. We selected our bottle of wine but asked the waiter not to open it as we ordered wines by the glass with UBP. It was not a problem. We obviously weren't the first ones to think of this!!! We used the UDP for Cagney's 3 nights and Teppanyaki once.

You can also use the Platinum cert for La Cucina in lieu of the Bistro if you want.

Reservations can be made in advance for the Bistro as it is ala carte.

I would strongly recommend doing so for all nights and restaurants as soon as you can as all venues are very busy.