fettuccini alfredo-is it still the all time favorite of Rome?

sockmonkeys

Cruising the Med and anticipating the menu and wondering if fettuccini alfredo is still the all time favorite of Rome (as stated on the menu!). I have enjoyed it but wondered if "all time favorites" ever change?? and will I encounter it again later this summer. Also wondering about the dessert, any cc peers willing to share your "all time favorite desserts"?

Cheers

:p

There was a chocolate nut pie in the MDR at lunch that my daughter would force me to make if I had the recipe. She's hoping it is available on our next cruise.

They had fettuccini most nights (not every night as I'd expected). The funny thing is that most of the time it was very good, but one night it was just rather blah. It ended up being a popular appetizer at our table. I don't understand why it wasn't consistent from one night to the next, but if the "blah" night had been the first time, we wouldn't have ordered it again.

If you are cruising on Royal Princess, take advantage of (free) Alfredo's restaurant. The best dish I've had on Princess is served there. If you like Alfredo sauce- this is to die for. It's called Agnolotti Gratinati alla Piemontese and is veal stuffed ravioli in a delicious cheese sauce.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

There was a chocolate nut pie in the MDR at lunch that my daughter would force me to make if I had the recipe. She's hoping it is available on our next cruise.

I know this website says bar/wine, but it's my understanding you can also request food recipes as well. I have not tried it for food, but that's what I have heard from some others that have, but ymmv.

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/emailform.jsp?cat=GI&subcat=s1&subject=Request%20for%20Recipes%20and%20Bar/Wine%20Information&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=sales:565526

Also check what desserts are available at the buffet at lunch and at dinner. What she is looking for may be there one day even if not available in the dining room.

They had fettuccini most nights (not every night as I'd expected). The funny thing is that most of the time it was very good' date=' but one night it was just rather blah. It ended up being a popular appetizer at our table. I don't understand why it wasn't consistent from one night to the next, but if the "blah" night had been the first time, we wouldn't have ordered it again.[/quote']

The fettuccini is available every evening, even if not listed on the menu.

Cruising the Med and anticipating the menu and wondering if fettuccini alfredo is still the all time favorite of Rome (as stated on the menu!). I have enjoyed it but wondered if "all time favorites" ever change?? and will I encounter it again later this summer. Also wondering about the dessert, any cc peers willing to share your "all time favorite desserts"?

Cheers

Don't know about all time favourite of Rome but I love pasta. We eat it at least once a week and on all our Princess cruises the fettuccini alfredo has been really gluggy with overcooked pasta. The parmesan basket hasn't been able to save it.

I've found that the fettuccine being served lately on Princess isn't nearly as good as it used to be a few years ago. They've changed the recipe (possibly to make it healthier ?) but they do serve it every night if you ask as both an appetizer & main course.

I've had the "blah" version of fetticcini alfredo. So blah in fact that I wanted t sneak back in the kitchen and see if the trash can was fully of noodle mix boxes. Bland and gluey. I'll take it as given that this isn't the norm, since way too many people rave about it, but I doubt I'll ever have it again.

People who love the current version of Princess's fettuccine would be really surprised if they had the chance to taste the original version. What they now serve is basically buttered noodles covered in some cheese. (the best part of the meal is the cheese basket) :rolleyes:

Cheers

My favorite dessert is the Princess Dream. It's a heart shaped chocolate mousse with a brownie crust and a dollop of whipped cream. I have that many times on every cruise along with the appetizer portion of the Fettuccini alfredo.

I've never had bad Fettuccine Alfredo on Princess. I like it served in the Parmesan basket topped with more cheese. I also like the seeded bread sticks served on Lido in the evening. I get those and some cheese and have it on our balcony with some wine.:p

Cheers

Ref desserts,,, when we are in the Mediterranean, we head to a good bakery in port... that is best way to get good desserts cruising... on any line, we skip the desserts and buy our own.

Cheers

You'll see the Alfredo on ANY Princess menu. It's a big favorite. As for me the calories are just too high! Probably the most fattening meal you'll find in ANY restaurant!

Going back to the topic posted by the OP ."all time favorite of Rome" we can say that Alfredo is certainly not even a near favorite in Rome :). In fact, it would be hard to find this dish in most Rome restaurants except the one's that specialize in Americans. We suspect the real all time pasta favorite (in Rome and much of Italy) would be Carbonara. As to Alfredo (we do love it when its made properly) some might call it the "heart attack pasta."

Hank

Going back to the topic posted by the OP ."all time favorite of Rome" we can say that Alfredo is certainly not even a near favorite in Rome :). In fact, it would be hard to find this dish in most Rome restaurants except the one's that specialize in Americans. We suspect the real all time pasta favorite (in Rome and much of Italy) would be Carbonara. As to Alfredo (we do love it when its made properly) some might call it the "heart attack pasta."

Hank

The best recipe I've tasted for fettuccine Alfredo came from a book "Eat This Too" by Dom DeLuise. Of course being healthy wasn't of concern & his diet probably helped kill him earlier than expected.....lots of cream, butter & cheese. I haven't made it in years since we've got our cholesterol under control. :D