Day trip FLL to Key West

wishfulone

We have a few days in Fort Lauderdale between cruises and want to do a day trip to Key West. I know it's a long way but so is Australia and it's something we really want to do. Renting a car is out of the question as we are not confident driving on the opposite side of the road especially if there's a lot of traffic. Day tours are around 15 hours but they give you roughly 6 hours in Key West and include a ticket for the Conch Train. Has anyone done this type of tour and can you recommend a bus tour company or perhaps a private tour company?

Susan

We have a few days in Fort Lauderdale between cruises and want to do a day trip to Key West. I know it's a long way but so is Australia and it's something we really want to do. Renting a car is out of the question as we are not confident driving on the opposite side of the road especially if there's a lot of traffic. Day tours are around 15 hours but they give you roughly 6 hours in Key West and include a ticket for the Conch Train. Has anyone done this type of tour and can you recommend a bus tour company or perhaps a private tour company?

Susan

If you are going to do this trip in a day, definitely let someone else do the driving.

I like http://www.MiamiBeach411.com for their day trips to Key West.

Agree. The drive can be tiresome. And to take in views off the bridges, nicer to be a passenger. We drove, but actually stopped for two different over nights along the way to Key West. Different islands have different vibes.

Go online and get info and a map of Key West. If you have 6 hours you might want to hit a few particular spots on foot. Easy to preplan a few things so you don't waste time.

Edited by eandj

As long as you are planning to spend at least one night in Key West, it would be a great thing to do. :)

OP is just doing the day trip. That's why I suggested they familiarize themselves with the area before arrival. Nightime is fun, but they won't get to experience that. Unless they book the trip that allows for a hotel stay....

Edited by eandj

OP is just doing the day trip. That's why I suggested they familiarize themselves with the area before arrival. Nightime is fun, but they won't get to experience that. Unless they book the trip that allows for a hotel stay....

You are absolutely right. I forgot renting a car is out for them. :o

LuLu

I've never done a tour from FLL to Key West. However, we have done a day trip from FLL to Key West. Driving. Great fun. Except the drive back was brutal.

In your case, I would definitely take the 15 hour tour. The ride along the Overseas Highway is an experience in itself. Plus Key West itself is a cool little town. A piece of the Caribbean in the USA.

Plus you don't have to drive back to FLL. Win Win.

Edited by LadyBeBop

If you have multiple days between cruises I encourage you to spend the night in key west so you can explore further and eat at a couple of great restaurants. You've got to stay in a hotel somewhere why not key west versus Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you can find a shuttle service from south Florida to key west.

If you have multiple days between cruises I encourage you to spend the night in key west so you can explore further and eat at a couple of great restaurants. You've got to stay in a hotel somewhere why not key west versus Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you can find a shuttle service from south Florida to key west.

Only two full days unfortunately so the option was to cart luggage or do the day trip. On the basis that it may be the only chance we ever get to travel over all those bridges and islands the day trip and Old Town Trolley or the Conch Train seems like the best compromise. We're open to all suggestions, helpful hints, places/activities not to be missed, best place for lunch etc Thanks in advance for all replies.

Only two full days unfortunately so the option was to cart luggage or do the day trip. On the basis that it may be the only chance we ever get to travel over all those bridges and islands the day trip and Old Town Trolley or the Conch Train seems like the best compromise. We're open to all suggestions, helpful hints, places/activities not to be missed, best place for lunch etc Thanks in advance for all replies.

You MUST have at least one meal at Blue Heaven. It is an iconic Key West restaurant. You dine outside with the roosters, chickens and cats.

http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

We just did a day trip from Miami in April and I would do it again. It was nice to not have to worry about driving. It is a long day but we loved Key West. I also say you need to eat at Blue Heaven. We did not use the trolley because we walked everywhere. It is an easy town to see in 6 hours but I would love to someday go and spend an entire weekend.

El Siboney - small, family run Cuban place with great food. I am drooling as I type! :o

And I am drooling as I read your great suggestion! I second the recommendation.

Edited by capriccio

We just did a day trip from Miami in April and I would do it again. It was nice to not have to worry about driving. It is a long day but we loved Key West. I also say you need to eat at Blue Heaven. We did not use the trolley because we walked everywhere. It is an easy town to see in 6 hours but I would love to someday go and spend an entire weekend.

I agree. Wear some comfy walking shoes and plan on covering popular areas by foot to really take in the ambiance. An over view via trolley or conch train is good. But really do some research of the area. Lots of shops,restsurants and water views to take in for breaks. Have fun. It is a unique spot for sure.

Make sure you get a picture at mile marker 0, the southern most point of U.S.

Edited by eandj

Love a Margarita, never had Key Lime Pie and hope both are served at the Blue Haven along with the wonderful seafood meals shown on their website :D

Both are served and Blue Heaven is famous for their Key Lime Pie.

We've just found out that our travel dates are the final day of Fantasy Fest and then the Monday is Halloween. We'd love to see all the craziness but in terms of being a tourist and wanting to get around and see the sights, and have a meal at the Blue Heaven and maybe another little snack at El Siboney.....would you go on the Sunday or the Monday?

Edited by wishfulone

We've just found out that our travel dates are the final day of Fantasy Fest and then the Monday is Halloween. We'd love to see all the craziness but in terms of being a tourist and wanting to get around and see the sights, and have a meal at the Blue Heaven and maybe another little snack at El Siboney.....would you go on the Sunday or the Monday?

Sunday could possibly be an insane madhouse.

Are you okay with that? You may not be able to get into the restaurants because of the crowds.

I think Monday will be less crowded but since it will be Fantasy Fest, make your reservations NOW. They may either be booked or not running tours that day.

Really, it is a bit nuts.

You MUST have at least one meal at Blue Heaven. It is an iconic Key West restaurant. You dine outside with the roosters, chickens and cats.

http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

I fully agree! Blue Heaven is a MUST in Key West. This trip to Key West, unfortunately only for a day, will be so worth it for you, I'm sure! Enjoy!