Thank goodness for CC or we still wouldn't know.

shadowmeboy

Well of course you must be mistaken!!;) Only NCL has communication issues. Can anyone imagine the uproar if they had sent out all three changes one after another, the same few would be nailing NCL for sending multiple message in one week.

Nice straw man.

Fact is, NCL can -- with minimal effort -- communicate these changes to the affected passengers when the changes are finalized. No one would nail anybody for keeping people updated with the latest applicable information.

Get real.

It's absolutely mind-blowing that anyone could even attempt to defend NCL on this.

NCL has no problem e-mailing four times per month about the latest whiz-bang promotion, but can't communicate an itinerary change?

It's absurd.

so true..;)

Well of course you must be mistaken!!;) Only NCL has communication issues. Can anyone imagine the uproar if they had sent out all three changes one after another, the same few would be nailing NCL for sending multiple message in one week. Cruise lines make changes, sometimes the word gets around, and other times it does not. The length of the cruise did not change, some ports did, contract fulfilled. At least some know in advance of the changes, not like missing a port after you're on the ship.

NCL is going out of their way to create problems for themselves far beyond the communication issues. Defend them if you must.

Edited by swedish weave

It's absolutely mind-blowing that anyone could even attempt to defend NCL on this. NCL has no problem e-mailing four times per month about the latest whiz-bang promotion, but can't communicate an itinerary change? It's absurd.

The issue is that NCL does communicate to all of the passenger's affected. I have always been notified of a cancellation or itinerary change. You would lead people to believe that no one is ever notified. Not true.

Maybe not as fast as you think they should. I get the feeling that as soon as a decision is make to switch an itinerary, you think that a blast email should be sent out to the passengers. I think not.

There are a lot of things behind the scenes that have to happen before they are ready to roll it out to the masses. And I prefer to be notified when the cake is fully baked,,,, and not get a half baked notification that will change many times.

Sure, the port operators will know before the passengers,,, because the ship has to have some place to dock. Arranging a shore agent and all of the port facilities takes more than clicking a button on the internet.

And the tour operators will know before the passengers,,,, because someone just lost hundreds of bookings and another is scrambling to see if they can commit to taking on another ship. Again, it takes more than a point-n-click on a website to arrange for a tour operator(s).

NCL's ineffective communication strategies are well known.

There are thousands of accounts on this forum alone. It's not just one or two pissed off passengers who didn't get an e-mail once. It's a bigger systemic problem.

Defend it all you like... that changes nothing. You might want an immediate e-mail about your half-baked cake when the temperature of the goddamn oven rises dramatically, right?

All that stuff about tour operators and port agents is superfluous to the concept of the ship's itinerary changing, from a passenger's point of view anyway. When NCL knows the ship isn't going where it was originally going, tell people. No one, expect for you, will be upset about multiple notifications of an itinerary change. People (except you) want that information as soon as is reasonably possible.

Edited by triptolemus

NCL's ineffective communication strategies are well known.

There are thousands of accounts on this forum alone. It's not just one or two pissed off passengers who didn't get an e-mail once. It's a bigger systemic problem.

Defend it all you like... that changes nothing. You might want an immediate e-mail about your half-baked cake when the temperature of the goddamn oven rises dramatically, right?

All that stuff about tour operators and port agents is superfluous to the concept of the ship's itinerary changing, from a passenger's point of view anyway. When NCL knows the ship isn't going where it was originally going, tell people. No one, expect for you, will be upset about multiple notifications of an itinerary change. People (except you) want that information as soon as is reasonably possible.

Your final statement really exposes the issue.

Just who gets to define what is "reasonable" and what is not?

Should you be notified when YOU think it is "reasonable" or should NCL notify you when THEY think it is "reasonable"??

Spending time on these boards really shines a light on the "reasonableness" of the typical CC poster. No matter what some people will feel one way and some will feel another. NCL will choose a path and the people who feel different with don their "drama queen" hat and break out the whine. Gotta be hard for NCL to care when there is going to be complainers no matter what they do.

I see your point. And I can't tell you what's reasonable in each case. But I can damn sure tell you what's unreasonable. It looks like this:

I leave in two days to sail on the Norwegian Sun Southbound from Seward, AK. We have had 2 itinerary changes in the past week, and no emails from NCL about the changes. The only reason I knew ports had changed was my roll call.

Original

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea day - Vancouver BC

Change 1

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Juneau - Icy Strait Point - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Change 2

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Sitka - Juneau - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Give me a break.

If those changes were published somewhere, then to me, that would be a reasonable time to e-mail your passengers the information. Maybe NCL didn't have time to send an e-mail because they were scrambling to find a port agent and book tour operators. Please.

Edited by triptolemus

You are absolutely correct!!!!

Thank you very much for backing up my point!!!!

I want accurate data when it is reasonable and not react to half baked information.

You are absolutely correct!!!!

Thank you very much for backing up my point!!!!

I want accurate data when it is reasonable and not react to half baked information.

Half-baked information?!? What on earth are you talking about? Please look at post #32 above. When do you suppose would have been a reasonable point in that case?

NCL pushed the information to someone if the roll call knew about it. How did the roll call find out? Looking at a port schedule? Don't you suppose if the port schedules received the information from NCL then surely it might have been a good time to inform passengers of the change?

It's absolutely mind-blowing that anyone could even attempt to defend NCL on this.

NCL has no problem e-mailing four times per month about the latest whiz-bang promotion, but can't communicate an itinerary change?

It's absurd.

Four times a month - you must be lucky. We get them daily. But when they delay our trip a day, no email.

One we got yesterday was for all the music charters in the spring.

Four times a month - you must be lucky. We get them daily. But when they delay our trip a day, no email.

One we got yesterday was for all the music charters in the spring.

Dexddd you just be popular to them!

Just as an update 24 hrs later, still no official email from NCL about the changes.

I must say that Skagway was the port that I was the most looking forward to visiting. We are booked on the Northbound Sun 5 Sept cruise.

I checked the NCL website and it still has the Southbound cruise out of Seward tomorrow with the old itinerary. Also, I noticed that the ship must have a lot of empty cabins, since the prices for insides, ocean views and balconies are all very low.

Does anyone know if this has happened in the past few years?

Maybe an explanation. Earlier this month Celebrity had an incident in Ketchikan to berth 3. Because Ketchikan is one of the popular Alaskan stops not all cruise ships maybe be able to dock there original itineraries. This has screwed up the whole season. Some reschedule days and some reschedule ports. This happened to my cruise earlier this month. I was notified the day before the next cruise started. The possible reason for either very late or no notice is because the berth schedule hasn't been finalized until the last minute. Every cruise line is trying not to alter cruise itineraries but sometimes it cannot be helped. And for those doing a b2b on the Sun at this time you will be on two different cruises.

Just my opinion.

Maybe an explanation. Earlier this month Celebrity had an incident in Ketchikan to berth 3. Because Ketchikan is one of the popular Alaskan stops not all cruise ships maybe be able to dock there original itineraries. This has screwed up the whole season. Some reschedule days and some reschedule ports. This happened to my cruise earlier this month. I was notified the day before the next cruise started. The possible reason for either very late or no notice is because the berth schedule hasn't been finalized until the last minute. Every cruise line is trying not to alter cruise itineraries but sometimes it cannot be helped. And for those doing a b2b on the Sun at this time you will be on two different cruises.

Just my opinion.

Not really.

No ships have missed Ketchikan. They have altered the schedule to include tendering which has resulted in some passengers being inconvenienced. But otherwise, all the ships have made Ketchikan.

For reference, updated Ketchikan dock/tender schedules can be found here:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=632

Just don't expect NCL to tell you that you'll be tendering. If you're a passenger, everyone else knows except you!

Not really.

No ships have missed Ketchikan. They have altered the schedule to include tendering which has resulted in some passengers being inconvenienced. But otherwise, all the ships have made Ketchikan.

For reference, updated Ketchikan dock/tender schedules can be found here:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=632

Just don't expect NCL to tell you that you'll be tendering. If you're a passenger, everyone else knows except you!

Thank you for the website. But as you see the updated version for the last week hasn't been done. Does this mean the dock is fixed? All schedules according to plan? I do not think so. There are over 30 ships visiting Ketchikan during a week. To coordinate and compromise a schedule probably isn't easy. So I guess that it is all NCLs fault and it is only affecting the Sun.

Thank you for the website. But as you see the updated version for the last week hasn't been done. Does this mean the dock is fixed? All schedules according to plan? I do not think so. There are over 30 ships visiting Ketchikan during a week. To coordinate and compromise a schedule probably isn't easy. So I guess that it is all NCLs fault and it is only affecting the Sun.

Huh?

I didn't say all schedules are according to plan. I said a ship hasn't missed Ketchikan due to the dock being damaged.

The schedule change coordinations are a good thing. They are shifting things around a bit to allow maximum utilization of the available docks, keeping tendering to a minimum. The easy solution would simply have been to put each ship scheduled at berth 3 out to anchor to tender and be done with it.

It's four berths. One is damaged. Scheduling four berths is not that hard. Scheduling a crew at McDonald's is more complicated.

Huh?

I didn't say all schedules are according to plan. I said a ship hasn't missed Ketchikan due to the dock being damaged.

The schedule change coordinations are a good thing. They are shifting things around a bit to allow maximum utilization of the available docks, keeping tendering to a minimum. The easy solution would simply have been to put each ship scheduled at berth 3 out to anchor to tender and be done with it.

It's four berths. One is damaged. Scheduling four berths is not that hard. Scheduling a crew at McDonald's is more complicated.

You did it. You changed my mind. You are right and I am wrong. Thank you for correcting me. I am a bad boy.