Pros and Cons of Ships that sail to Alaska

staceycs

We are planning our second trip to Alaska. Our first trip was on the NCL Pearl. It was our first time cruising on NCL and we were not that impressed with the food and they seemed to push you to buy the dining package. We normally cruise on Carnival but not sure we want to sail the Carnival for Alaska. Any suggestions on ships/lines that you might have would be appreciated.

What are you looking for? Frankly, your complaint about buying drink packages??? All the regular cruise lines- promote various revenue producing items. Those purchases are what keeps your cruise price lower. :) :) I don't find them of any consequence. I don't purchase them and no one is chasing me down, making me buy either. :)

I've enjoyed sailing the Pearl twice in Alaska, so my priorities are different than your.

Some questions for yourself? Again- what are you looking for? the ship experience? - read multiple trip reports of various cruise lines- IN Alaska (make sure the review is an Alaska sailing) Alaska? take a very close look and do your homework- with any mainland touring, add on all the time you can. :) Know every detail- with packaged tours. Most people do not.

I'd suggest- with an Alaska priority- take a look at each, inside passage port- there are only 6. Look in depth, at what tours/activities you would like to experience. Rank your choices.

These background checks, and knowing yourself, with help you greatly in narrowing down your selections. Rather than, randomly selecting a line or going with someone's, claim of the "best" ship etc. (as evidenced by my Pearl enjoyment)

In addition to what BQ says, I would like to add that you should check port times carefully before booking. If Tracy Arm is important to you, for example, you don't want an itinerary that is there at 5 in the morning. If Mendenhall Glacier is important, you don't want an itinerary that arrives in Juneau at 2 PM and tenders. The last bus leaves Mendenhall Glacier at 6, and such an itinerary makes the visit overly rushed. Take it from me, I have had these and other port time challenges on some of my Alaskan cruises.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Alaska is all about the destination and not so much about the ship. Figure out which itinerary you want, then you can narrow down the ship, if there are options.

Consider a cruise in the Norway Fjords. It is every bit as spectacular as Alaska.

We normally cruise on Carnival but not sure we want to sail the Carnival for Alaska. Any suggestions on ships/lines that you might have would be appreciated.
As Freehike mentiond.... think about your itinerary... main things to consider in short listing your cruise line....

• 7 day round trip vs 7 day one Northbound vs 7 day Southbound.
  • do you only have a weeks holiday to see South East Alaska? Or would you like to explore South Central? Would you like extra days in South Central?
  • Vancouver vs Seattle departure port. You might want to plan extra days at your bonus departure ports.
  • Do you want to see a glacier from your cruise ship as glaciers are calving around you? Glacier Bay is high on as a itinerary must-have. Holland America and Princess offers the most sailings for glacier seekers.
  • is pixie dust important?

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Consider a cruise in the Norway Fjords. It is every bit as spectacular as Alaska.

I didn't find my one time Norwegian Fjords cruise to be comparable to Alaska- which for me, is grossly superior for my priorities. :)

Another very scenic sailing itinerary, which I've been doing yearly for the last several- is South America. The Chilean Fjords are really beautiful, along with Cape Horn and various channel sailings they do. Wildlife is a big plus for me :)

I didn't find my one time Norwegian Fjords cruise to be comparable to Alaska- which for me, is grossly superior for my priorities. :)

Another very scenic sailing itinerary, which I've been doing yearly for the last several- is South America. The Chilean Fjords are really beautiful, along with Cape Horn and various channel sailings they do. Wildlife is a big plus for me :)

It's all a matter of personal taste. I've been on all three cruises, and lived in Alaska. They are all spectacular. However, I'd still rank my recent Norway cruise above the others.

How long ago were you on the Pearl? We also used to feel the food in the main dining rooms on NCL was of poor quality because they were trying to get people to pay for specialty restaurants. However, we just got back from the Sun doing Vancouver to Seward and were very pleasantly surprised by how good the food was in the main dining rooms. (We preferred buffets for breakfast, but MDR for lunch and dinner)

To go back to your original question, I'd break down major pros and cons of the Sun:

PROS

Itinerary on Northbound - Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and long times in ports

Small ship - easy to navigate

Lots of open spaces - easy to find a spot to view the outdoors

Decent sized rooms (and it was more affordable than other lines)

Music in the evenings was good

Kids Program counselors were excellent

CONS

No naturalist on board - really would have liked that

Small ship - not a lot of variety or excitement if that's what you prefer

Splash Academy physical space was depressing looking (pretty much an empty room)

Older ship and showing age. Our stateroom quality was more in line with a Super 8 than even a Marriott.

We had a great time and I would recommend the Sun

We cruised Vancouver/Seward August last year on Celebrity Millennium. Couldn't fault it, ship or itinerary. We enjoyed it so much we're going again July 29 this year Seattle/Seattle on Celebrity Solstice.

We are planning our second trip to Alaska. Our first trip was on the NCL Pearl. It was our first time cruising on NCL and we were not that impressed with the food and they seemed to push you to buy the dining package. We normally cruise on Carnival but not sure we want to sail the Carnival for Alaska. Any suggestions on ships/lines that you might have would be appreciated.

It all depends on what your priorities are. Is it amenities? You talk about food. Is it about costs? How many people cruising? It is about itinerary? Most cruises are about the same. Some may go to Stika and Haines instead of Skagway. Do you want to cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver? Sail inside passage or open ocean? How long can you go? NCL Sun has a great 14 day cruise as well as HAL Maasdam. Do you plan on taking tours or just doing the ports and using the city bus? Or the real question, how much do you really plan on spending? The more you spend, the more you do.

I prefer the NCL SUN b2b (14 days) in Alaska. I have done this itinerary 7 times (14 weeks) the last four years and plan on going back again this year when the price drops.

I always tell people when cruising Alaska.....If you have expectations you will not see anything. You will expect nature to come to you. If you have no expectations you will see everything. You a least will be looking and will give nature a chance. After all the real show in Alaska is outside on the decks, not inside playing name that tune.

We cruised Vancouver/Seward August last year on Celebrity Millennium. Couldn't fault it, ship or itinerary. We enjoyed it so much we're going again July 29 this year Seattle/Seattle on Celebrity Solstice.

Great choices. We sailed the Millie to Alaska and then the Solstice from Vancouver to Hawaii. The Millennium was our favourite ship ever until the Solstice sailing - now Solstice-class will be our first choice.

Many people say that Alaska is about the destination, not the ship. Maybe to them it is - we want a great ship regardless of where we're sailing. We've sailed on most lines - Holland America is our next choice after Celebrity now, and if we can't get those two, we'll vacation in the RV.

We loved our time on Radiance southbound Seward to Vancouver four years ago,

and are doing it again, though this time B2B. As a bonus for us, the loyalty perks

are great.

If you are just looking for good food, save your money and go to some really fine

dining restaurants somewhere. Alaska is too expensive to just think about the

food being the draw. It's all about the destination, as others have said. There is

nothing like Alaska. And I don't think anyone has starved to death on a cruise

ship. ;)

Edited by island lady

On my bucket list for fjord cruising is south island New Zealand. Have you done

that one yet?

and if we can't get those two, we'll vacation in the RV.

And we do both! Our "Land Yacht" cruising is in the motor home (that is a picture

of KatieKat in our RV on my avatar ;)) plus then throw cruising into the mix to let

the ship's captain do the "driving". And our time for being spoiled. ;)

On my bucket list for fjord cruising is south island New Zealand. Have you done

that one yet?

Oh yes, twice. Another wonderful itinerary.

I just got Auckland flight benefits and only had Sydney for a year +, so I'll be looking for those last minute Australia/New Zealand cruise deals. Last few years, it's been South America in the winter, so have enjoyed my time there. Hawaii is always good.

Too many places to go to. I've never had a bucket list. :)

I just got Auckland flight benefits and only had Sydney for a year +, so I'll be looking for those last minute Australia/New Zealand cruise deals. Last few years, it's been South America in the winter, so have enjoyed my time there. Hawaii is always good.

Ah...it's just a mental bucket list and a game the DH and I play. We see a trip we

would like to go on in the future...and say "Yup, another one for the bucket list". ;)

We spent our honeymoon on north island New Zealand. Beautiful!! Need to return

for a much longer trip combined with a cruise there or two or three....or more. :D

BTW: Two anniversaries in the Hawaiian islands also. :)

You are to much. That is why I love your thoughts. I will just be envious.

How long ago were you on the Pearl? We also used to feel the food in the main dining rooms on NCL was of poor quality because they were trying to get people to pay for specialty restaurants. However, we just got back from the Sun doing Vancouver to Seward and were very pleasantly surprised by how good the food was in the main dining rooms. (We preferred buffets for breakfast, but MDR for lunch and dinner)

To go back to your original question, I'd break down major pros and cons of the Sun:

PROS

Itinerary on Northbound - Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and long times in ports

Small ship - easy to navigate

Lots of open spaces - easy to find a spot to view the outdoors

Decent sized rooms (and it was more affordable than other lines)

Music in the evenings was good

Kids Program counselors were excellent

CONS

No naturalist on board - really would have liked that

Small ship - not a lot of variety or excitement if that's what you prefer

Splash Academy physical space was depressing looking (pretty much an empty room)

Older ship and showing age. Our stateroom quality was more in line with a Super 8 than even a Marriott.

We had a great time and I would recommend the Sun

I had not been on NCL for more than 20 years plus. I had heard that they were making some good changes so I decided to give them another try. I did a 10 day Alaska repo in early May on the Pearl and was most pleasantly surprised by the experience. I will say, however, that it was an early sailing and the 800 kids that we were told are sometimes on board, who were not aboard this sailing, would be a deal breaker for me...no matter the quality of the food and service. I will be looking at NCL selectively going forward.

I just returned from an 11night Arctic Circle cruise to Norway. It was beautiful and the remote farms and villages along the fjords are what you don't see in Alaska. I had a wonderful trip and the scenery was spectacular.

However, (and this is a BIG however), I will never go back to Norway - been there done that. But, (and this is a BIG but), I have gone to Alaska 4X and would and will go back again and again. IMHO, there isn't anything like Alaska. Because of the gulf stream in Norway, you don't see ice floating in the water and the glaciers are high in the mountains. In Alaska the tidewater glaciers are spectacular - we didn't see anything like that in Norway. We saw several herds of rain deer, but no marine animals.

I'm glad I went to Norway , but nothing touches my heart like Alaska.

Edited by mek

What very kind, above posts. :)

I do advocate, independent travel with at least some "ordinary" experiences. :) I'm just not a "group point to point" traveler, and know enough to not ever consider that.

The joys of the unexpected is wonderful. That interesting person, I meet, that wonderful sight that pauses me for reflection, that diverted time extension- all are opportunities for me.

I've always been in a "rush" through life, trying to fit in what I felt I wanted to, in this short time. I never, "waited", and it turns out- I'm at significant and peace and comfort now, having done that.

I've had the very fortunate benefit, over 30 years with nonrevenue flights- which makes the world small when you don't pay for air. I'm still in the fast lane for as long as I'm able.

What very kind, above posts. :)

I do advocate, independent travel with at least some "ordinary" experiences. :) I'm just not a "group point to point" traveler, and know enough to not ever consider that.

The joys of the unexpected is wonderful. That interesting person, I meet, that wonderful sight that pauses me for reflection, that diverted time extension- all are opportunities for me.

I've always been in a "rush" through life, trying to fit in what I felt I wanted to, in this short time. I never, "waited", and it turns out- I'm at significant and peace and comfort now, having done that.

I've had the very fortunate benefit, over 30 years with nonrevenue flights- which makes the world small when you don't pay for air. I'm still in the fast lane for as long as I'm able.

I admire your outlook on life. Much as the same as the DH and I feel also. :)

Really nice to not have to pay for airfare, that is a great perk! I am sure it does indeed

make the world a smaller place....with so much out there to experience. I am sure

you will continue to enjoy! What a wonderful way to live life to the fullest! :D

Edited by island lady