Bedbugs on Constellation

cruzin.cat

Never had encounters with bedbugs before this cruise. If you Google bedbugs on ships, there are lots of reports. I am familiar with most kind of bites having travelled lots and also having lived on a farm, mine were definitely bedbugs having gotten them each night and the way they were in a line, synonymous with bedbugs. I cannot believe I didn't think of anything quite that simple otherwise I would have reported them onboard. Was thinking more outside the box.

Gosh...not the kind of thread I want to read right now...since I'm departing Sunday for a cruise on the Constellation...

I'll check my cabin carefully as soon as I board, I guess...

My wife, though, may want to just let them live...She got angry with me this morning because I killed a fly...

I'm terrified of bedbugs and I always check .... maybe not too thoroughly, but I do check, and then a few days into the cruise (Or hotel) I quickly pull back the sheets to surprise them.:p;)

However, I also sometimes get swollen ankles. And when this happens they they itch like crazy.

My DH and I travel with small flashlights in our toiletry bags. The first thing we do when entering a hotel room or ship stateroom is check under the mattresses. DH lifts both sides of the mattress while I inspect with our trusty flashlight.

My DH and I travel with small flashlights in our toiletry bags. The first thing we do when entering a hotel room or ship stateroom is check under the mattresses. DH lifts both sides of the mattress while I inspect with our trusty flashlight.

Great idea, I'll certainly be checking big time from now on. Happy sailings everyone, just be vigilant.

where do these bugs come from?

i'd never heard of them before ready these forums

it seems cruises and hotels in he US are ripe from what is written on forums and trip advisor

etc

never seen any or bitten by any ( yet:eek:)

is it the warmer climates?

where do these bugs come from?

i'd never heard of them before ready these forums

it seems cruises and hotels in he US are ripe from what is written on forums and trip advisor

etc

never seen any or bitten by any ( yet:eek:)

is it the warmer climates?

I learned these bugs originally came from bats and were almost wiped out when DDT was used but since this has been banned they are making a big comeback and are here to stay. They came from the tropics too.

They are transported around in luggage, clothes etc and are extremely hard to eliminate once established in your home.

Gosh...not the kind of thread I want to read right now...since I'm departing Sunday for a cruise on the Constellation...

My wife, though, may want to just let them live...She got angry with me this morning because I killed a fly...

Hi Steve, we will be on the same cruise on Connie and hope there's no bed bugs! Thinking about them is making me itchy lol. Dianne

We cruised Venice/Koper/Zadar/Split/Dubrovnik etc, all cities and towns so one wouldn't expect sand fleas/flies.

Venice is notorious for getting bites and most of that coast has issues including the cities..

start with

Mosquitoes

Venice's lagoon is infamous for its dreaded mosquitoes, zanzare. If you're prone to bites and visiting in summer take some insect repellent or a repelling device with you.

Then move onto the others(insects/places).

(Not saying they are not bedbugs but you can't rule out land based options because you were in cities.)

I like your wife! :)

Venice is notorious for getting bites and most of that coast has issues including the cities..

start with

Mosquitoes

Venice's lagoon is infamous for its dreaded mosquitoes, zanzare. If you're prone to bites and visiting in summer take some insect repellent or a repelling device with you.

Then move onto the others(insects/places).

(Not saying they are not bedbugs but you can't rule out land based options because you were in cities.)

And a lot of these pest bite, but you do not feel it or get an immediate bump. Sometimes the bumps appear 2-3 days later.

Edited by Iamthesea

Where did you cruise? Sand flea and sand fly bites (and regular fleas) also leave welts. It's hard to tell the source from the welts alone. I can't imagine a steward not seeing bed bugs when changing linens. They aren't that small.

I second this notion. We were bitten by sand flies not bed bugs and new whelts appeared every day for several days and itched terribly. The bites are exactly like the pics posted.

If you did not notice any black spots on your bed sheets these were probably not bed bugs. The black spots are regurgitated blood or feces and always appear in cases of bed bugs. That is how they keep track of them on board. They inspect all the bed clothes before laundry for bed bugs. In any case you should have immediately notified staff so they could confirm or deny them.

Edited by BecciBoo

I second this notion. We were bitten by sand flies not bed bugs and new whelts appeared every day for several days and itched terribly. The bites are exactly like the pics posted.

If you did not notice any black spots on your bed sheets these were probably not bed bugs. The black spots are regurgitated blood or feces and always appear in cases of bed bugs. That is how they keep track of them on board. They inspect all the bed clothes before laundry for bed bugs. In any case you should have immediately notified staff so they could confirm or deny them.

This (bolded part) exactly. No, the steward might not see the bugs themselves if they are/were there, but there would be tell-tale marks on the sheets and/or mattress. And to my knowledge, how to spot them is part of training for any type of housekeeper in the hospitality industry (which would include cabin stewards) as no ship or hotel WANTS to deal with an outbreak that could be quickly contained with proper inspection and treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ha ha, certainly not mozzies or sand flies the way we were dressed, head to toe in rain gear, walking boots with trousers tucked in so no way could they get through that lot onto our torso's which happens to be where we were bitten.

Anyway, whether you think they are sand flies, mozzies, bedbugs or whatever, the fact remains that as regular travellers, particularly on naturetrek holidays to remote areas, I am familiar with most bug bites and these are nothing like before.

Besides, who would bother to search the bed when we never suspected they were bedbugs at the time, a failing on our part perhaps but hey ho, we were on holiday and had other things on our mind and were always in a rush to get out of the cabin. A lesson learned.

Travellers, just be vigilant.

• 1 month later...
Well thanks for reading this thread everyone. I just wanted to make it quite clear that the Constellation does have bedbugs and if it helps anyone then that's great, they can watch out for them. Whilst you shouldn't believe everything you read it always helps to be aware as some posts are in-fact true. Photos in next post

Did you stay in a Hotel pre cruise? Odds are you may have actually carried them on board

Did you stay in a Hotel pre cruise? Odds are you may have actually carried them on board

Yes, they will make it into luggage. Hopefully, OP carefully inspected her her luggage when she got home. They actually could have been carried on by the previous guest in that room. Ships take this very seriously and you need to let them know right away if you see bites or any other evidence of these bugs to avoid the spreading and infestation to other cabins. I wonder why OP let this go all of the way to the end of the cruise. :confused:

Yes, they will make it into luggage. Hopefully, OP carefully inspected her her luggage when she got home. They actually could have been carried on by the previous guest in that room. Ships take this very seriously and you need to let them know right away if you see bites or any other evidence of these bugs to avoid the spreading and infestation to other cabins. I wonder why OP let this go all of the way to the end of the cruise. :confused:

Maybe if you re-read the posts from the OP you would learn, that at no time did they think these were bed bugs, just bites. They also stated that they left their luggage in the garage overnight and then emptied on the lawn!!

I for one am very thankful for the information the OP has given, as I will know to check my bed, first thing.

So thank you OP :D

No need to get nasty. I read the initial post but not the entire thread. I will say this. If you wake up every morning with bites, say something. OP has no clue what cruise line did after they left the ship. The last thing a hotel or ship wants is to do nothing on notice of bed bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why there are so many people in denial of OP getting bed bugs. A cruise ship is essentially a floating hotel and there is a possibility stateroom getting infested with bed bugs. Especially when you have turnover every week with 100% occupancy. Bed bugs happen at tons of hotel from 1 star motel to 5 star hotels; they just don't tell any one.

My biggest peeve is other cruise line give you a luggage mat during embarkation that encourages you to through your luggage on the bed to empty your suit case. That is like the prime time for bed bugs to jump to your bed or from the bed onto your suitcase.

No need to get nasty. I read the initial post but not the entire thread. I will say this. If you wake up every morning with bites, say something. OP has no clue what cruise line did after they left the ship. The last thing a hotel or ship wants is to do nothing on notice of bed bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seriously? Nasty? :confused: I don't think so! I stated what the OP had said!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but first they should read the whole story! :rolleyes:

Seriously? Nasty? :confused: I don't think so! I stated what the OP had said!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but first they should read the whole story! :rolleyes:

You like exclamation points. Funny Seinfeld episode on that. I have a feeling that if they made that show in the last decade, they might have done a show on the roll eyes emoji.

In any case, the only thing I missed was that OP left suitcases in the garage after the cruise. I get that OP woke up with new bites every morning and did not understand that the bites were from bed bugs and the bugs were left for the passengers on the next voyage to deal with. What I don't understand is the OP's assertion that Celebrity turned a blind eye to it after OP's phone call. Cruise lines and ships take bed bug infestations very seriously. Surely, the problem was missed during turnover day between voyages, but hopefully the next guests discovered the problem soon enough and the problem was dealt with by the hotel manager. Hotel managers on cruise ships are well trained and know how to deal all types of problems. It's a tough job, but these major cruise lines all seem to have top hotel management staffing.

Has anyone returned from Constellation since the 19th May and been bitten by bedbugs? We had cabin 8097 and were badly bitten. I contacted Celebrity but they have failed to respond, I expect they are turning a blind eye to it. If you are in this cabin and these critters get into your case they will be all over your house after you get home. How can Celebrity not take this report seriously?

Did you come straight from home, or did you stay a night or 2 at another location before boarding? If that's the case you could very well have picked them up & brought them with you!. They don't always nail you the first night.

I think if these were actually bedbugs, the OP and the room steward would have noticed the black and red trail marks on the sheets. These are not tiny marks, and they are there every morning. I wouldn't think someone could overlook these markings. Our friends got them after a cruise in a VRBO in Buenos Aires and ended up throwing away their suitcases. Bedbugs are easy to see and hide in the seams of mattresses, etc.