Need Help....Funny Cruise Lingo

mrsfuzzmo

Hi,

There are the "one uppers" people who try to be one up on you eg. "this is our 4000th cruise" or "we are Krypton class" (insert cruise line loyalty programme rating)

Pete

Love these. On the Magic in February I decided to not be specific when a table mate asked how many cruises we'd been on.

One couple bragged about this was their first platinum cruise and they had all the perks, benefits, etc. She had no idea how many my wife and I had cruised on until we saw her the last sea day at Guest Services and the staff member behind the counter told us she remembered us from our milestone cruise.

I'd rather be Aluminum status and have them serve free Coors Light.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

in the marine industry it is common to refer to passengers as 'super cargo' because of the extra effort needed to load, care for, and offload them.

And to AZ Ocean Lover: the way to avoid that in the future is: You can put a boat on a ship but you cannot put a ship on a boat.

Although, there are exceptions such as a heavy lift ship designed to transport smaller ships. M/V Tern is an example http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:367054/mmsi:306029000/imo:8000977/vessel:TERN

Two I heard on my last cruise: "whingers"--people who complain all the time about everything. I think this might be an Aussie word.

"badgers"--lecturers, entertainers, gentleman hosts, etc. who mix with the passengers but are employed or quasi-employed by the cruise line. term is taken from the fact that they wear badges.

Two I heard on my last cruise: "whingers"--people who complain all the time about everything. I think this might be an Aussie word.

Hi,

It's a very old English word but it is used in Australian lingo (the convicts must have stolen it :):):) )

Pete

It is spelled whine in America. Whiners. Whining. Whined. "You want some cheese with that whine?" etc

I think the "g" comes from the same place as the "u" does in "colour" or "behaviour".

It is spelled whine in America. Whiners. Whining. Whined. "You want some cheese with that whine?" etc

I think the "g" comes from the same place as the "u" does in "colour" or "behaviour".

Nope.

It's Whinge often misspelled as Winge, rhymes with hinge... Google it, I did.

The meaning is pretty much the same the whine, tho.

No, it is a totally different word: while Americans often whine about things, whinging can only be done with a British (or, perhaps, Commonwealth) accent.

No, it is a totally different word: while Americans often whine about things, whinging can only be done with a British (or, perhaps, Commonwealth) accent.

Hi,

I have heard many Americans "whinging" and "whining" the only real difference is the pitch!

Pete

Hi,

It's a very old English word but it is used in Australian lingo (the convicts must have stolen it :):):) )

Pete

It was often used in the context of "whinging POMs". :p ;) :D

Usually about British immigants who always complained that things were so much better "back home".

But I haven't heard that for some years now.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It was often used in the context of "whinging POMs". :p ;) :D

Usually about British immigants who always complained that things were so much better "back home".

But I haven't heard that for some years now.

Hi,

I love Pomegranates, especially in some of the salads that I make.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pete :D:p

Good morning,

What about the announcement codes you hear like Bright Star? I would like to review those again. I have seen a list before but it has been awhile.

Is there a term concerning the horn blasts usually heard at sail away?

Fun thread.

6boysnana

Good morning,

What about the announcement codes you hear like Bright Star? I would like to review those again. I have seen a list before but it has been awhile.

Is there a term concerning the horn blasts usually heard at sail away?

Fun thread.

6boysnana

Battle of the Horns. If passengers are lucky enough to experience one, they will never forget it. DCL is especially fun for this! We were on the Magic (only plays When You Wish Upon A Star) but as we were sailing out past the Dream (I think) they had six or seven different songs. It was amazing.

What is this? I don't know this term. Can you explain further?

If I remember correctly shellbacks are the people on board that are crossing the equator for the first time. King Neptune played a part in the ceremony and we received a certificate following the very messy show.

It was very well attended and fun to watch.

6boysnana

If I remember correctly shellbacks are the people on board that are crossing the equator for the first time. King Neptune played a part in the ceremony and we received a certificate following the very messy show.

It was very well attended and fun to watch.

6boysnana

No, pollywogs are the ones crossing for the first time, shellbacks have crossed before.

All this info is amusing and informative. I was on a thread and posters were talking about getting on board early and using the acronym FTTP. I did ask what that stood for but no reply. Anyone?

I think you are referring to FTTF - "Faster To The Fun" - where you can pay extra to be given early boarding --- just one more cheesy mone-grubbing program to get some people to pay more so they can make others wait longer.