A Travel Insurance Expert Advise Please

kruisey

With being 80 now regular Insurance is so expensive on a over 30 day cruise.

Have Platinum level Insurance with Princess which I have got.Do I really need to get another Travel Insurance Policy which will add well over $1000 to the cost of my cruise ?

Only you can answer your questions. You know your health and circumstances better than anyone. Insurance is a waste of money if you don't use it, but then of course anyone who doesn't have it and needs it, tells of the horror stories of not being adequately covered.

So you have to decide if "well over $1,000" is worth it, but no one can help you with that decision.

Look critically at the Princess coverage. What does it provide for medical care, emergency evacuation, and re-patriation? In English, that means what will they pay for if you become ill or injured, require hospitalization in whatever country you are near, and ultimately need to get back to the US. Medicare will pay nothing.

You may not need additional coverage for lost luggage or trip delay, but the medical can be huge. Many companies offer "medical only" coverage that you might want to consider. Perhaps Princess offers sufficient travel type coverage, but you decide that you need to beef up the medical. You are the only one who can decide what is enough.

Look critically at the Princess coverage. What does it provide for medical care' date=' emergency evacuation, and re-patriation? In English, that means what will they pay for if you become ill or injured, require hospitalization in whatever country you are near, and ultimately need to get back to the US. Medicare will pay nothing.

You may not need additional coverage for lost luggage or trip delay, but the medical can be huge. Many companies offer "medical only" coverage that you might want to consider. Perhaps Princess offers sufficient travel type coverage, but you decide that you need to beef up the medical. You are the only one who can decide what is enough.[/quote']

OP is in Canada which sort of changes the equation (Medicare). Not sure if a lot of US solutions will help her.

The decision is different for each person. I believe you need to consider your health, your other insurance coverage, and your itinerary.

What other insurance do you have that covers you outside of your home country? For someone from the United States, Medicare provides no coverage outside the United States. Some Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare supplements provide coverage (as primary) outside the United States and some do not. For example, Tricare for Life is secondary to Medicare inside the United States but provides primary coverage (with copayments and deductibles) outside the United States.

I do not know what coverage your Canadian medical insurance provides outside of Canada. It may depend on the country, since Canada may have reciprocity agreements with some countries but not with others. I recommend you check exactly what coverage you have in the countries you will be visiting and then decide whether or not the limits on Princess Vacation Protection are adequate.

Your cruise itinerary makes a big difference - both to potential medical expenses and to potential medical evacuation expenses. Some places have more expensive medical care than others. Also some remote locations would have much more expensive medical evacuation expenses.

The United States is one of the most expensive places to receive medical treatment. As a United States citizen, I would be comfortable with Princess Vacation Protection on a Hawaii cruise, since I would be covered by Medicare in Hawaii. As a Canadian, you may find medical care in Hawaii to be extremely expensive.

I hope some Canadian cruisers can provide more detailed answers. It could help if you stated the specific cruise itinerary that you would be taking.

Edited by NavyVeteran
Change from US specific answer

Over thirty years working in the Medical Insurance industry taught me that each individual needs to assess their own personal needs. That being said, we have long been sour on cruise line travel policies because of their minimal medical limits (usually $10,000 for most cruise lines). So, if the OP decides that they need more Medical Coverage....then we can suggest looking at GeoBlue....who sells both single trip and annual travel med policies. You can normally get their policies as long as you are 84 or younger...although they do reduce their maximum limits on older seniors to $100,000.

Hank

I am in UK at the moment taking care of matters for my sister who is in nursing home with advanced Parkinson's.Return Canada August,unless my sister unfortunately kicks the bucket.

The trip booked is Sydney Aussie land to Vancouver via New Zealand ,Pacific Islands,Hawaii ,LAX then Vancouver,April on my favorite ship returning to Western waters ,Emerald Princess...'Loud Congratulations':D.

Put sudo dates on my local bank travel insurance for 32 days and because I don't have any any of those old age things like a bad ticker or' C',rotten lungs etc I got 'A' and the price was $680 Canadian for 32 days not bad eh? Oh one has to be a bank customer for this rate.

Edited by kruisey

Over thirty years working in the Medical Insurance industry taught me that each individual needs to assess their own personal needs. That being said, we have long been sour on cruise line travel policies because of their minimal medical limits (usually $10,000 for most cruise lines). So, if the OP decides that they need more Medical Coverage....then we can suggest looking at GeoBlue....who sells both single trip and annual travel med policies. You can normally get their policies as long as you are 84 or younger...although they do reduce their maximum limits on older seniors to $100,000.

Hank

Perhaps this will help you to decide if it works for you or if you need other coverage. Please note that you will have to find out about coverage in light of any Pre-Existing Conditions

Princess Travel Insurance:

Princess%20Platinum%20Insurance%20Coverages_zpsuoyluubm.jpg?t=1466449016

Have Platinum level Insurance with Princess which I have got.Do I really need to get another Travel Insurance Policy which will add well over $1000 to the cost of my cruise ?

Keep in mind that Princess insurance is "secondary" in payment for medical costs etc. Also, should you travel to your destination pre or post. on your own and not through Princess, their insurance does not cover you. You are covered only for the travel, hotel etc. made through Princess.

It is very difficult for any older person who has a pr existing condition wanting to take a longer cruise. For a couple both with must be devastating.:eek: I am so very grateful for the fact I do not take prescription medication for my achy bones because it would make such a huge difference to Medical Insurance.

For me, insurance is mandatory. And I buy a 3rd party insurance due to the higher medical coverage.

If I can't afford issuance, I can't afford the cruise. It is a cost of cruising like having enough money for tips. If I can't do tips, I don't cruise.

If you can't afford insurance for a 30 night cruise, maybe a 20 night cruise would be better.

Edited by Coral

What will bankrupt you, $1,000 or $100,000+ in medical costs and transportation? What will provide you with peace of mind, knowing you are adequately covered or sit and worry about it your whole cruise? No one has any guarantees of not hurting yourself, or having an emergency medical condition. Young or old, it happens.

I see specific medical and evac coverage policies like GeoBlue are very inexpensive as compared to the comprehensive plans, and with the higher deductibles that makes obtaining strong medical coverage much more affordable. But we also need the trip delay/interruption and cancellation coverages. We've used the trip delay coverage on 3 of our last 4 trips (twice on one trip) due to airline and/or weather-related problems.

Our primary medical insurance covers only urgent emergency medical care when outside the US, and I have to pay up front and look for reimbursement later. So I look for travel insurance coverages of $50,000 medical/dental and $100,000 at a minumum. I'm seeing much higher rates for cruise vacation insurance than land vacations as well...

I don't know about Canada, but you might want to check your credit card as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find travel interruption/cancellation as one of the benefits of my Citibank MasterCard. The particulars as respects coverage and limits should be shown on the website. Mine even covered pre existing conditions. Good luck.

For me, insurance is mandatory. And I buy a 3rd party insurance due to the higher medical coverage.

If I can't afford issuance, I can't afford the cruise. It is a cost of cruising like having enough money for tips. If I can't do tips, I don't cruise.

If you can't afford insurance for a 30 night cruise, maybe a 20 night cruise would be better.

Coral if a cruise costs $5000 US Dollars that is $6410 Canadian Dollars.

So prices have increased a lot for Canadians.

Gone are the days of even currencies at the current rates.Nothing to do with Princess .

Coral if a cruise costs $5000 US Dollars that is $6410 Canadian Dollars.

So prices have increased a lot for Canadians.

Gone are the days of even currencies at the current rates.Nothing to do with Princess .

I stand by what I say. I won't cruise with out insurance. It could bankrupt me if I get sick out of the country as my insurance doesn't cover well outside of the US.

So if I can't afford the trip with insurance, then I can't afford the trip.

Edited by Coral

You should check with you Provincial Health Provider. Were from Manitoba and they will pay the same rate anywhere in the world as they pay at home for the same service. Wouldn't go very far in the States but is fine in Mexico. My husband had to use the Medical facilities on a Princess ship. Very expensive as the fee is in US $$$$$. Luckily we had extra insurance to cover the bill.

Only you can answer that.

You should check with you Provincial Health Provider. Were from Manitoba and they will pay the same rate anywhere in the world as they pay at home for the same service. Wouldn't go very far in the States but is fine in Mexico. My husband had to use the Medical facilities on a Princess ship. Very expensive as the fee is in US $$$$$. Luckily we had extra insurance to cover the bill.

In BC they do not cover out of country Medical.

Thank you yet again everyone for your incites :)

Edited by kruisey