Was switching my rooms a mistake?

tammymacb

Let me start off by saying that for a British Isles cruise, I wasn't terribly picky about the balcony room I got. I really just want quiet (no public areas above or below my room).

When I booked my cruise I got a free upgrade and was given a cabin on Deck 10, mid aft with an extended balcony.

When I called to switch to the Sip and Sail today it was $100 PP extra to keep that room. For the same price, I could sail on Deck 14, forward. I asked specifically and was told passenger rooms were above and below.

Now, I'm worried I'm too high in the ship. Obviously Princess deems these the least desirable balcony category. Is there anything I should be worried about?

I've been on multiple cruises on several lines, including X, DCL platinum, CCL, NCL and RCCL but I've never been on Princess and am unfamiliar with their ships.

Will my downgraded room be fine? Or should I stop being cheap spend the $200 and get my old room back? BTW, I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess.

Edited by tammymacb

Depending on the length of the cruise I might well have kept the original balcony cabin. If the cruise is very long the promo will easily cover the extra cost. However, I doubt that I would have a problem with the new cabin either.

I'm not all that picky about cabin location. I just booked a 28 day cruise for next year and took a GTY balcony. The promo is worth $3,155.60 on a cruise of that length. The cabin price didn't go up at all adding on the promo and I will be happy even if I end up with the listed GTY cabin. ;)

Sorry, Caribbean Princess.

BI = British Isles.

We have sailed the CB many times. I think you will be fine. The sip and sail makes up for it!

Oh yeah British Isles....duh. :o

It would be great to have the Caribe deck cabin with the larger balcony but not sure if its worth $200 more.

I would pay the extra and keep the Caribe balcony. Those balconies are larger and are very nice.

The Riviera deck cabin would be between passenger decks so noise should not be an issue. But for movement IMHO it is better to be mid aft on a lower deck. So it depends on whether ship movement is a potential issue for you.

Now, I'm worried I'm too high in the ship. Obviously Princess deems these the least desirable balcony category. Is there anything I should be worried about?

I have yet to go on my first cruie, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. However, from all of the pre-cruise reading I've been doing (lol), the potential concern about your new cabin would not be that it is on a higher deck, but rather that is in a more forward location, which can make some people more prone to motion sickness. If you've cruised before you presumably have a good idea whether this might be a concern for you, and I gather it also depends on the itinerary. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks all. I'm not prone to motion sickness. We sailed the Disney Magic through a hurricane and it didn't bother me.

I know I'm being silly even wondering about the $200 difference, but with the costs of the trip in total, $200 is still money spent somewhere else.

I've been on deck 14, mid/forward on the Caribbean Princess. I had no issues with this location at all. Granted, the Caribe balconies are larger. So the real question is whether the larger balcony is worth $200.

How much time will you spend on your balcony? Will it be too cool to really enjoy the balcony? I'm cheap--I'd take the $200 for excursions and other fun things. Now if I were doing a TA cruise, I might feel otherwise.

So be prepared--Princess cabins are much smaller than DCL. However the food is better!

Edited by moki'smommy

When I called to switch to the Sip and Sail today it was $100 PP extra to keep that room. For the same price, I could sail on Deck 14, forward. I asked specifically and was told passenger rooms were above and below.

I do hope by now you have actually looked at the deck plans to verify this. All the Category BF R2xx cabins have other cabins above and below. But the Category BD cabins on Riviera deck have only a few that are under the Lido deck cabins, and they are mostly HC cabins.

To me moving from a mid-aft Category B2 cabin to a forward Category BF cabin just to avoid paying $100 p/p to get the free AIBP plus a free specialty dinner is too much of a downgrade. You may view it as $200 better spent elsewhere; I would view the big picture as a huge net gain from the new perks and not change cabins. But to each their own.

Edited by fishywood

If location isn't important to you then you should be fine. Sometimes I actually like the smaller balcony because you're closer to the railing sitting down. With the Caribe balconies you can see the sea in the distance and the horizon from your seat but, unless you pull your chair up to the rail, you can't really look down at the ocean. To me two people don't need all the room on a Caribe balcony unless you plan on entertaining.

I am not a fan of forward cabins. I will always take aft or midship cabins.

I would be more worried about motion sickness being forward as opposed to being high.

If I'm not driving I sometimes get car sick on winding roads. I get horribly sick on small boats. I never cruise without my patch. I put that little round fella behind my ear and I don't get sick at all. Even during storms where some of the "I never get sick" people end up lying down and feeling woozy I don't get sick.

Our upcoming cruise is in a cabin all the way forward on Caribe. Not the highest to be sure but high up and fully forward and I'm not worried about getting sea sick.

On our BI cruise, there were only two sea days, so you will probably not be spending very much time on the balcony. And depending when you are going, the weather might be quite cool.

The larger balcony is probably not worth the extra cost for that itinerary.

...Our upcoming cruise is in a cabin all the way forward on Caribe. Not the highest to be sure but high up and fully forward and I'm not worried about getting sea sick.

I had a balcony cabin in the low 200s on the Baja deck on the Golden, and had no trouble with motion whatsoever with moderately choppy seas. The only thing I didn't like about it was the long walk when I wanted to do something in the aft section. You'll love the Caribe deck balcony--I had one on the Ruby last year.

If I'm not driving I sometimes get car sick on winding roads. I get horribly sick on small boats. I never cruise without my patch. I put that little round fella behind my ear and I don't get sick at all. Even during storms where some of the "I never get sick" people end up lying down and feeling woozy I don't get sick.

Our upcoming cruise is in a cabin all the way forward on Caribe. Not the highest to be sure but high up and fully forward and I'm not worried about getting sea sick.

Just saying I feel more movement forward.

I would have kept the old cabin. My opinion.

I have never been sick on 40 plus cruises and never used meds. My least favorite cabins have been forward.

Edited by Coral