Front or Back of Ship?

cdl324

Can anyone tell me which is better as far as the rocking/motion feeling goes? A friend told me they like the front of a ship better but I am reading that the back is better. Is the motor usually loud on the back? We are going to be sailing on the Carnival Fascination. I believe the only deck open is deck 4. Any advice/input/experience would be greatly appreciated!

I prefer midship...if that's not available I tend to book aft (back) and actually always stay away from forward (front) cabins. Please don't worry so much about (motor) engine noise...Enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by Ashland

You will feel much more motion in the forward section of the ship than in the mid- or aft sections, so you should be fine being in the back. I am not familiar with the Fascination so I don't know where Deck 4 is in relation to the engines. If it is a lower deck, you may hear or feel some vibrations but the "noise" is more of a background hum. If you are on a higher deck, you will probably hear nothing. I'm sure you'll be fine!

We just completed a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Princess Ruby. We stayed in a balcony room in the front: Rivera R214. It was perfect! Not much movement, under the the Lotus Spa so no noise. The 1st sea day was a tiny bit choppy. Hubby had no problems while I had a patch because I know I don't handle motion well (car, plane, etc). It was nice to go out on the balcony and see the awesome length of the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We normally stay in the front and try to get the highest level we can. We love the rocking. We were unsure if the kids would like it on their first cruise but fortuantely they fell in love also. So it works out for everyone in the family, helps us sleep.

We like the front and high as well. The motion makes our sleep so restful. The only downside is the dropping of the anchor and use of the side thrusters. We are always woken by them. We've been through moderate seas up front and when that happened we could hear the bow slam on the water which could hamper the sleep.

Unfortunately midship was already sold out. We decided to go with the back of the ship! Fingers crossed that we won't get sick. Lol!

if you don't get motion sickness on rides or in vehicles you should be good to go.

When are you sailing?

• 4 weeks later...

I would think that watching the ocean go sideways would be worse, just a guess. We booked the back also, Room 6489. I imagine the ocean going away from you would not trigger vertigo. Also any engine noise would simulate a fan to me, the louder the better I sleep. To each his own I guess. :)

Unfortunately midship was already sold out. We decided to go with the back of the ship! Fingers crossed that we won't get sick. Lol!

I'm going to guess that those that choose accommodations that are high and forward and to a slightly lesser extent on the stern of a ship haven't been at sea in a real storm where seas can easily top 40 feet for several hours and 100 mph winds turn the wave tops into sea foam. In those [rare] conditions everywhere on the ship will quickly 'get your attention' but forward and aft exaggerates the pitching and rolling considerably.

If you plan on going to sleep after you've enjoyed your dinner in an almost empty restaurant during a storm it won't be long before you start to mouth - "low and center, low and center, that's where I should have booked my cabin".

Enjoy the walk to your upper deck cabin because the elevators will not be in use in big seas, walking forward will turn into a contact sport with your decks corridor and your once comfortable bed is going to try to make you part of the carpet on your floor. In fair seas, accommodations that are high and forward are great places to be but when the waves turn the minutes to hours............

Famous last words, "It doesn't get rough where we're going". Well I've sailed around the world a few times and believe me - it can.

I've never been sea sick but I've seen many folks that weren't as lucky as me and it certainly doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. Given an accommodation choice and especially if you're brand new to cruising you might do well repeating - Low and Center, Low and Center one more time - well at least until you and the sea get acquainted.