Packing - Medications?

duncmelsmom

Many will tell you to use a pill organizer for everything but I have had my bags inspected upon departing the ship and pill bottles checked. So that being said anything that is a controlled substance or that you need to survive I personally would bring in their regular bottles. Things like vitamins I would put in the pill organizer. If you need small bottles just ask your pharmacy and they can provide them.

And I would bring a few days extra just in case you get delayed for any reason.

The Carnival packing FAQ says prescription meds should be in their original containers and that's what I'll be doing. You could bring both and then move your pills to the organizer once in your stateroom. Mine are all once a day in the morning so I don't think I'll need an organizer but if I had to take as many pills at different times of the day as my Grandpa does, I'd bring the organizers for sure.

The Carnival packing FAQ says prescription meds should be in their original containers and that's what I'll be doing. You could bring both and then move your pills to the organizer once in your stateroom. Mine are all once a day in the morning so I don't think I'll need an organizer but if I had to take as many pills at different times of the day as my Grandpa does, I'd bring the organizers for sure.

Same as. Additionally separate dosage is carried by wife in case mine goes AWOL for whatever reason.

Hi all-

I'm packing for our 7 day cruise (can't wait!). We have a 7 day pill holder that I fill each week. Will it work to bring it or do I need to have the original bottles? What about supplements?

Thanks!!

22 cruises and we've always used seven-day organizers. We've never been questioned by TSA nor by Carnival security.

The only meds I would take in original, labeled vials would be any controlled meds. (I'm on oxycodone at bedtime for knee replacement surgery I had two weeks ago. I'll definitely be taking that in its original vial when we next travel.)

Edited by stargate fan

Someone here recommended that you print out your prescription records from your pharmacy, so that you can prove the pills are legally in your possession. It would also come in handy if the pills were lost and you needed to refill them.

If you take them in pill organizers you probably won't have any problem. But you might. If you take them in the pharmacy bottle you definitely won't have any problem. Want to take the risk? Your choice.

Your average TSA inspector wouldn't know an oxy from an aspirin if it's out of the bottle.

Edited by travler27

They do NOT need to be in the original bottles...no one cares!

except the doctors when you fall down and are unconscious and no one knows the exact medication and dosage so they cant help as effectively

for something so trivial as carrying the original bottles why would you even think about not taking it.

at minimum, if you take this advice, take a comprehensive list of all medications with dosage and size descriptions.

Thanks you guys...room in luggage is valuable. I only take 3 prescriptions, but they are in 90 day supply bottles. I see no need to take all of that, and hate to ask a pharmacist to make smaller bottles, what a waste of plastic.

I definitely am a rule follower, so I'll dump my not-needed-at-the-moment pills in zip locks to leave at home while I take a little more of what I need for this awesome vacation.

You guys are the BEST!!

Personally, I take my organizer AND my bottled pills in a zip lock bag in my carry on. I also have a list of my scripts written on paper and in my wallet so if anyone needs to know fast what I am taking then I have it at hand. At the very least, take extra meds in case you are delayed for whatever reason.

I have always brought my meds in a pill dossette/organiser and never had a problem in 9 cruises, but from what I am reading/learning here, will take them in their original containers, and then once on board will put them in organizers, to help me, but then again before debarking ship, will put them back into original pill bottles from the pharmacy. And yes of course, always keep your prescription meds with you in your carry on/off baggage, never in your checked baggage.

Why people think the TSA is bent on enforcing drug regulations I cannot understand. The TSA is tasked with keeping air travelers safe, not overseeing drug regulations.

Any medications you take that are considered a controlled substance should probably be kept in original containers, all the rest can be carried however you wish.

The only caution is be very careful taking prescription medicine ashore at ports. Some meds which are commonplace in US carry stiff penalties in other countries.

Why people think the TSA is bent on enforcing drug regulations I cannot understand. The TSA is tasked with keeping air travelers safe, not overseeing drug regulations.

Any medications you take that are considered a controlled substance should probably be kept in original containers, all the rest can be carried however you wish.

The only caution is be very careful taking prescription medicine ashore at ports. Some meds which are commonplace in US carry stiff penalties in other countries.

I have one controlled substance RX which I do take in the original bottle. The rest of my RX & supplements are in weekly organizer. I do take pharmacy receipt for each med which has a description of the pill. No one has ever questioned it. I also have a list of RX & supplements which I carry in my wallet with my insurance cards.

"except the doctors when you fall down and are unconscious and no one knows the exact medication and dosage so they can't help as effectively"

so when you fall down all your meds are in your pocket? Or, while your unconscious, the Dr. calls the cruise ship to search your room? I'm not quite sure I follow your thinking. I take a photo of my prescription, and put all my pills in a baggie and label it pills, never had a problem.

"except the doctors when you fall down and are unconscious and no one knows the exact medication and dosage so they can't help as effectively"

so when you fall down all your meds are in your pocket? Or, while your unconscious, the Dr. calls the cruise ship to search your room? I'm not quite sure I follow your thinking. I take a photo of my prescription, and put all my pills in a baggie and label it pills, never had a problem.

As a tangent.....

I know on our iPhones we can set up ICE information, accessible thru the locked screen.

Doesn't help those of us who keep their phones in the safe for the duration of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN