Reason I Love HAL

mame42

An epiphany! I realized this morning why, apart from the amazing itineraries and incredible service, I love and miss cruising with HAL. It is the lively conversations about national and international affairs with intelligent, well traveled fellow passengers of all ages and nationalities. Although I adore my home and my friends, I live in a fairly insular community, most of whom have little interest beyond local issues.

Thank you all!

Lonny

I feel the same way. No one running through the halls at 3:00am or pushing all the buttons on the elevator. Just well read, well traveled interesting people who, for the most part, have learned that we each make our own good time.

HAL provides my life with a little serenity. I don't need rock walls, slides, skating rinks or massive productions shows. Good food, interesting ports, wonderful service and as much night life as I need. It feels like going home.

HAL provides my life with a little serenity. I don't need rock walls, slides, skating rinks or massive productions shows. Good food, interesting ports, wonderful service ...

While I agree, LA, I would add that having a Roman Catholic priest (to offer daily Mass) on every HAL cruise is the main reason my spouse and I love HAL. It is also the reason we are 100% loyal HAL cruisers.

Smooth sailing ...

HAL provides my life with a little serenity. I don't need rock walls, slides, skating rinks or massive productions shows. Good food, interesting ports, wonderful service and as much night life as I need. It feels like going home.

We've enjoyed the ice shows. Especially the violinist on ice.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. No one running through the halls at 3:00am or pushing all the buttons on the elevator. Just well read, well traveled interesting people who, for the most part, have learned that we each make our own good time.

As LA said, stepping on the ship is such a familiar feeling of comfort, compatibility and of adventure--experiences one doesn't get at home. If I wanted rock walls, twenty restaurants, water slides, I would stay home. Service is always superb, a great library to find books to take on deck for long periods of reading, good to great meals and passengers that add a new dimension to our lives--sometimes making long lasting friendships. HAL fits us perfectly. Always planning and looking forward to our next adventure.

tor my late DH and me, our stong attadchment to HAL has always been aboutt the people of HaL. We immediatftely took to the crews of HAL from our firs HAL cruise on Noordam III many years ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for such a wonderful post. I am looking forward to my next HAL cruise and I check everyday to see if my future dream cruise is listed. I agree. I don't need zip lines, rock walls to climb or any of the new fads.

I want to visit the world in peace. I don't need a park in the middle of the ship. To each their own and I hope everyone has a great day at sea.

Have a wonderful day

6boysnana

As LA said, stepping on the ship is such a familiar feeling of comfort, compatibility and of adventure--experiences one doesn't get at home. If I wanted rock walls, twenty restaurants, water slides, I would stay home. Service is always superb, a great library to find books to take on deck for long periods of reading, good to great meals and passengers that add a new dimension to our lives--sometimes making long lasting friendships. HAL fits us perfectly. Always planning and looking forward to our next adventure.

These are the reason we too keep coming back to HAL. Our first cruise was on the Ryndam to Alaska (how's that for a "gotcha"?) :) Next was QM2 - and we always said the staff and service on HAL was every bit as good as on Cunard. We've strayed to CCL and RCCL based on port of departure and/or itinerary but we always sigh with pleasure when we know our upcoming cruise brings us back to HAL.

My DH has health issues around which our lives and travels depend - and I'm the primary caretaker. Being on a HAL cruise allows ME to feel pampered for a change. CCL feels not much different than being at home except for no chores - on HAL it feels like I'm special :D For me ,.... that's special.

My DH is the same and I'm the primary person to make sure life goes on for him He loves to cruise and a cruise is a powerful motivator when his COPD exacerbates and he's hospitalized.

We've done Princess 3 times - mainly so he can go to Skagway and ride the train. Other than that, it's HAL all the way. There is a feeling of coming home when we step on the ship. He is taken care of and I get pampered as well! It's so nice and just such a sense of relief when I get onboard.

Karen

My DH is the same and I'm the primary person to make sure life goes on for him He loves to cruise and a cruise is a powerful motivator when his COPD exacerbates and he's hospitalized.

We've done Princess 3 times - mainly so he can go to Skagway and ride the train. Other than that, it's HAL all the way. There is a feeling of coming home when we step on the ship. He is taken care of and I get pampered as well! It's so nice and just such a sense of relief when I get onboard.

Karen

Yep ... :) It's nice to hear from someone who feels the same as me on this

When someone comes here to ask if they "will be bored" taking HAL cruises, it makes me realize a common virtue we sense about HAL passengers is their sense of self-containment. The appear to bring their own interests, curiosity and contentment on board with them already.

I agree, it is the welcoming hominess and predictability about HAL ships, okay even their dated dowdiness, that keeps us coming back and what we miss most when we are away for too long. An over-used and exploited term today, but HAL ships are "safe spaces" for us. (Groan)

Edited by OlsSalt

My last cruise, we flew from Florida to Buenos Aires to begin the cruise. An overnight flight with arrival in Argentina late morning and then HAL shuttle to the ship. Clearing customs and a lot of hassle with embark partly due to reciprocity papers, it was rather grueling. Once onboard, I knew exactly where to go to my room and then to the Crow's Nest for a drink....I was HOME! I was so happy! The bartender smiled at me and I turned to my left and saw a man whom I met 2 years ago on a different HAL ship. It was so nice.

As we age, our tastes change. When our kids were young, we loved what Carnival and Disney offered. We also had great times on Celebrity. Now, we prefer the HAL for the more laid back feel. Most of our experience with HAL has been on "S" class ships that have suited our needs well. We love sea days which just force you to relax.

Nice to have a positive thread for a change. To me it's itineraries, crew, ships and fellow passengers.

Agreed. There is still so much about HAL to appreciate. Thanks for a shift into positive territory.

A 'toast' to all who see the glass half full!

When someone comes here to ask if they "will be bored" taking HAL cruises, it makes me realize a common virtue we sense about HAL passengers is their sense of self-containment. The appear to bring their own interests, curiosity and contentment on board with them already.

I agree, it is the welcoming hominess and predictability about HAL ships, okay even their dated dowdiness, that keeps us coming back and what we miss most when we are away for too long. An over-used and exploited term today, but HAL ships are "safe spaces" for us. (Groan)

We don't expect others to entertain us every minute. We are content and happy with good people around us and enjoying the peace and beauty of being at sea and seeing a spectacular part of the world.

I have cruised on other lines but my focus was all about finding that contentment and welcoming hominess so well described.

I don't feel the need to fill every moment with thrills. I treasure the peace and good service we find on smaller ships filled with like minded cruisers. It is kind of like how I used to feel the need to find that perfect trinket to bring home but now I know it is the memories and satisfaction that mean the most.

I wish you were all going on my next Hal cruise so we could enjoy chatting together on board.

6boysnana

tor my late DH and me, our stong attadchment to HAL has always been aboutt the people of HaL. We immediatftely took to the crews of HAL from our firs HAL cruise on Noordam III many years ago.

Ditto for my late DH and me. Not only the people we also fell in love with the decor on the Noordam III. We felt like we were Royalty living in the finest art museum..Noordam III is still my favorite of the HAL ships we have been on.

All cruise lines have great staff, but HAL staff is a cut above just great. My first cruise was on HAL (the last Westerdam). My next cruise is on Maasdam. In between I became Elite on Princess and sampled Celebrity and Carnival. I keep coming back to HAL for the excellent service, itineraries, and smaller ships.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On our first cruise - the Ryndam Alaska- we were in a rush to get going to an excursion. DH told the cabin steward we were sorry we hadn't tidied up as much as usual. His reply was "Oh Mr S ... that's MY job ... it's your job to have FUN". I was in love :D

Then there was the bartender in the Crow's Nest who remembered your name and cabin number for the duration of the cruise after serving you just once.

Yep ... I knew cruising, in particular HAL, was for me.

WOW, I can think of sooooooo many reasons why I Love HAL!

I guess the most important one for us is the returning crew from our 12 plus cruises on HAL and always a hug and a smile and the most IMPORTANT!!

MS. Denise and Mr. David we meet again!

I love them remembering us! And we remember them!

Denise:)