Expanded Panama Canal

CHEZMARYLOU

Can Solstice Class sail under Bridge of the Americas?

That's a question that comes up often, also with regard to RC Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships. I've seen air draft figures of around 200 feet at high tide, which would seem to preclude the tallest cruise ships from passing under, at least at high tide.

Air draft (height of ship above water) data is notoriously hard to come by. The first passenger ship scheduled for the new locks is the Caribbean Princess. Given that there is only a small difference in GT between the Caribbean Princess and the Solstice, and the Solstice is longer, wider, and deeper, that class of ships might be possible, though the Solstice is two decks higher. Voyager and Freedom may be able to make it, but likely all three classes would have to pass the Bridge of the Americas at low tide, with exemption from the Canal Authority.

Over on the Panama Canal board, BillB48 says Solstice will fit, as she was modified to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, and it is a little bit lower than the Bridge of the Americas. However, other Solstice class will not fit. EM

I would guess that if one would book a Panama Canal cruise with the idea that the ship would go through the newly constructed part of the Canal, one might be disappointed. I would think that the Canal Authorities would decide which ships would use which route and when.

Other opinions?

Edited by rkacruiser

I would guess that if one would book a Panama Canal cruise with the idea that the ship would go through the newly constructed part of the Canal, one might be disappointed. I would think that the Canal Authorities would decide which ships would use which route and when.

Other opinions?

Whether its a cruise ship or a tanker, only those ships that cannot fit in the old locks will use the new locks. So ships that have been doing the transit in the past will continue to use the old locks.

Can Solstice Class sail under Bridge of the Americas?

The Solstice can... it has been modified to sail under the Lions Gate Bridge which is a wee bit tighter on the clearance than the Bridge of Americas.

I just saw that EM already answered that :).

Edited by BillB48