Sweaty Exercise Clothes

while he was still Active duty and working out 6 days a week, they were replaced every 3-4 months. and he didn't get the cheapie kind either. now he is a civilian with less access to the base facilities so he only works out about 4 times a week, but being in FL the pools are open so he alternates with that. he has about 6 swim suits. Chlorine is less gross than man sweat.

You have really been moving around a lot! Maryland to Texas to Florida! :eek: :)

Just can't think of any at this moment!.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

IKR! Deodorizing your clothes with cheap vodka!?!

If you're going to do this, you should use Grey Goose. :D

Wow--two really rude posters on one page---that's disheartening.

Personally, I'd handwash a few things in the sink or send them out in the bag, but the OP specifically asked for suggestions that did not involve either of those options, so I made one based on my experience in community theatre---and you get insulting because you have never heard of this commonly used trick?

If you bothered to at least google about it before turning to rude insults you'd have run across many pages talking about it, mostly as a way to remove sweat smells from theatrical, dance and historical costumes cheaply and easily--it has something to do with the vodka killing the bacteria which causes the smell. Doesn't do a dang thing to stains or other smells but the question was about stinky sweat so . . .

Edited by NHDisneylover

Wow--two really rude posters on one page---that's disheartening.

Personally, I'd handwash a few things in the sink or send them out in the bag, but the OP specifically asked for suggestions that did not involve either of those options, so I made one based on my experience in community theatre---and you get insulting because you have never heard of this commonly used trick?

If you bothered to at least google about it before turning to rude insults you'd have run across many pages talking about it, mostly as a way to remove sweat smells from theatrical, dance and historical costumes cheaply and easily--it has something to do with the vodka killing the bacteria which causes the smell. Doesn't do a dang thing to stains or other smells but the question was about stinky sweat so . . .

I was just trying to be funny, as if spraying cheap vodka on my clothes would be unthinkable. Sorry that you took it as rude. :(

I was just trying to be funny, as if spraying cheap vodka on my clothes would be unthinkable. Sorry that you took it as rude. :(

sorry I missed the lower line--now that I see it IS funny. I think I was so surprised to read the first (truly) rude/insulting post (because I seriously never thought of this as something controversial enough to generate anything of the sort) that I wasn't reading carefully--sorry to have quoted you in that

sorry I missed the lower line--now that I see it IS funny. I think I was so surprised to read the first (truly) rude/insulting post (because I seriously never thought of this as something controversial enough to generate anything of the sort) that I wasn't reading carefully--sorry to have quoted you in that

Sometimes you just consider the source. If you look at that person's posting history, you'll probably find most of them being some sort of insult followed by two or three eye-roll emojis. Better to just laugh it off and not let it bother you.

Sometimes you just consider the source. If you look at that person's posting history, you'll probably find most of them being some sort of insult followed by two or three eye-roll emojis. Better to just laugh it off and not let it bother you.

Interesting--not a poster I recognize at all.

it just hit me wrong---there are plenty of things I post that i might expect a strong reaction to--but this sure as heck wasn't among them :rolleyes:

Ah well, maybe it works for OP, maybe not, but at least they got an answer that met their criteria and that other poster got to enjoy throwing another comment out there

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with sweaty exercise clothes in a small cabin when there's no self-service laundry? Known options are rinsing them out and having them laundered, but who has better solutions?

Thanks!

I always hang them up in the bathroom after I work out. Then the next morning i throw them in my laundry bag that I bring on every cruise. I have never had any issues with smells from them and trust me I sweat like everything in the gyms. But once they have dried, I don't have any problems with them in the laundry bag

On a week cruise since we get 2 bags of free laundry on Royal, I send hubby's t-shirts and my workout clothes to be washed.

But once they have dried, I don't have any problems with them in the laundry bag.

If OP doesn't want to wash or send to laundry, I'd do this. Let them dry and store them in a laundry bag to be washed at home. Don't bunch them in suitcase or bag if they are not dry.

Thanks for all the responses. We will not have a balcony. (I didn't know drying clothes on a balcony was permitted.) I think I will either go with the "throw away" or "don't exercise" options. In the future I will target ships with self service laundries.

We will not have a balcony. (I didn't know drying clothes on a balcony was permitted.) I think I will either go with the "throw away" or "don't exercise" options. In the future I will target ships with self service laundries.

Hi Eric - drying clothes on the balcony is actually not permitted while underway but passengers seem to do it all the time. :p You'll have to change lines if you want self-service laundries. Here is some info:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Thanks for all the responses. We will not have a balcony. (I didn't know drying clothes on a balcony was permitted.) I think I will either go with the "throw away" or "don't exercise" options. In the future I will target ships with self service laundries.

On short cruises many times we have OV. Longer we have balconies, but I have never hung my gym clothes out on the balcony. I have worked out on every ship we have ever been on and like I said, I just hang them in the bathroom to dry and then put them in the laundry bag I bring.

If you are worried that it might smell, bring a deordorizer along to put into the laundry bag.

You have really been moving around a lot! Maryland to Texas to Florida! :eek: :)

he's retired from AD now. hopefully this civilian job is permanent. we have to skip cruising this year of course( new houses are expensive) but we hope to be back next year., I may even suck it up and try Oasis class! or wait until 2018 so we can afford air fare for an Alaska cruise.

it technically is not. but people will do it anyway.

I am of the camp that I refuse to do laundry while on vacation. But using that as a deal breaker for a cruise seems silly to me.

Actually, a better way to help in the drying process is to lay a towel on the floor. Lay the damp clothes on the towel towards one end. Roll the towel up with the clothes in there. Now stand on the rolled up towel and "walk" on it. This gets out so much water it drys a lot faster. We would do this when I was with Pan Am. Didn't have to pack as many uniforms that way. :D

Be sure to get extra towels for this.

Nice idea! A large part of me booking balconies is so I can hand wash and dry my exercise clothes.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with sweaty exercise clothes in a small cabin when there's no self-service laundry? Known options are rinsing them out and having them laundered, but who has better solutions?

Thanks!

STOP doing things that make you sweat.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rant here...

funny how many people are suggesting to not work out.

Why?

Why suggest that someone change their lifestyle? If they (we) want to continue to be healthy and this is part of it, why suggest that one should not work out???

I don't get that.

The OP asked to help keep their clothing from getting smelly, and your suggestion is to not work out... Not exactly answering the question.

If people want to maintain their fitness, good for them!

Rant here...

Are you serious with that rant or just kidding around. I mean, the OP was asking for "better" suggestions than rinsing the clothes out or having them laundered. Those are the two best options, so people had to be creative to come up with something "better."

Are you serious with that rant or just kidding around. I mean, the OP was asking for "better" suggestions than rinsing the clothes out or having them laundered. Those are the two best options, so people had to be creative to come up with something "better."

Serious.

A lot of fitness and health threads get diverted to "it's vacation, who cares?" which isn't helpful.

Better isn't telling someone to not work out when it's part of their lifestyle, especially when they want ideas to clean their clothing.

If you want to stop working out, and ignore your diet, great. Go for it. But telling others to do that when they are not asking? Really?

Serious.

A lot of fitness and health threads get diverted to "it's vacation, who cares?" which isn't helpful.

Better isn't telling someone to not work out when it's part of their lifestyle, especially when they want ideas to clean their clothing.

If you want to stop working out, and ignore your diet, great. Go for it. But telling others to do that when they are not asking? Really?

Alright. Still hard for me to take seriously a thread that asks for a better way to handle sweaty clothes than cleaning them or sending them out to be cleaned. I think a little sense of humor with a response like "don't exercise" is more helpful than a rant.

Maybe I'll start a thread for suggestions of a better way to bring on my allowed two bottles of wine, other than putting them in my carry-on bag or packing them in my checked luggage...

Edited by Paul65

Clip to the back of a chair on the balcony. Go to dinner and when you return to the cabin, they will most likely be dry..especially if the sun is shining when you clip them out there.

I don't think you are supposed to leave things on the balcony if you are not there.

Thanks!

buy a really cheap teeshirt and shorts for each day and throw them after your

workout:)

Just scrub them with a bar of soap, rinse them off in the shower, then hang them to dry on the laundry line in the shower.

But in all seriousness the only thing I like doing more on vacation than working out and doing laundry is probably responding to work emails and dieting. Can't wait to do all that in a few weeks!