Quick take out lunch in Skagway

Planning is Half the Fun

I'm trying to maximize my experiences in port and have put together a pretty tight schedule in Skagway. I have a 20 minute window downtown and would like to pick up a to-go lunch and eat it while on the train. Does anyone have any suggestions of options? I'd love a fancy salad or seafood. Not a burgers or meat kind of girl. Thanks for your help. 52 more days til wheels up!

Well, they served us lunch onboard the train as we departed Bennett Lake for Carcross, so if that's any indication... Only caveat is I don't know if there's some complication regarding bringing food from the US into Canada?

I'm trying to maximize my experiences in port and have put together a pretty tight schedule in Skagway. I have a 20 minute window downtown and would like to pick up a to-go lunch and eat it while on the train. Does anyone have any suggestions of options? I'd love a fancy salad or seafood. Not a burgers or meat kind of girl. Thanks for your help. 52 more days til wheels up!

There is water served on board. I am seeing nothing about food either being allowed or not allowed on board though. Best bet is to call and ask! Their website lists the number as 1-800-343-7373.

As far as a place to grab a quick bite to go in your 20 minute window? I doubt it. Most of those types of places are no closer than 4th & Broadway. MAYBE the Red Onion is your best shot. It's the closest to the train station. You may want to call ahead to make sure though.

I was recently on the train and plenty of people brought lunch and ate on the train.

The Sweet Tooth Cafe was selling boxed lunches for the train. They are just a couple blocks away from the train station.

Yes, you can bring food on the train. Just be neat and dispose of everything properly. :)

Here is a listing of current eateries. I suggest, you try and call ahead to order? Otherwise, it does say the train station coffee shop- has "snacks"? Again call and inquire.

http://skagway.com/business-category/restaurants/

20 minutes is a very short time. Hopefully you are with someone else, that you can run off from- so they can get a left sided seat for you. Otherwise- I'd suggest just loading up on the station coffee shop snacks.

Well, they served us lunch onboard the train as we departed Bennett Lake for Carcross, so if that's any indication..

Did you see the new museum and film in the Bennett station? I heard there was going to be a mseum room and a film room, but haven't seen any mention of it/them yet.

Yes, though didn't know they were new. :) One room had the film of course, on a loop, and plenty of benches so you could come and go without causing a disturbance. The other room had exhibits of the sorts of stuff the propectors had to bring with them.

When we reboarded the train they had distributed box lunches to our tables and we ate as we rolled out. Turkey on a roll, chips, ham pasta salad, cookie, maybe something else, I don't recall. It got the job done.

Edited by gpb11

When we reboarded the train they had distributed box lunches to our tables and we ate as we rolled out. Turkey on a roll, chips, ham pasta salad, cookie, maybe something else, I don't recall. It got the job done.

What tables??? Are they using different train cars then they always have in the past?

2 people ride backwards?

It's the only time I've ever been on WPYR so I can't say if they were different from others, but yes the bench seats were arranged as four-tops with a small table in between. Our car was about 2/3 full so there was plenty of opportunity to move around.

160602-1368_zps4jykopys.jpg

It's the only time I've ever been on WPYR so I can't say if they were different from others, but yes the bench seats were arranged as four-tops with a small table in between. Our car was about 2/3 full so there was plenty of opportunity to move around.

That looks way different then my train trip. No tables when I went.

Someone else posted about a luxury car which had leather sofas (and posted a picture). Here are the pics with the sofas:

http://www.hisugarplumsblog.com/2015/07/skagway-alaska-yukon-rail.html

Edited by Coral

Interesting. This was the "Bennett Lake" excursion option through HAL. We took a coach into town from the ship and boarded the train there; there weren't many cars, I think seven in total. The cars ahead of and behind ours were the same layout.

I wonder if they used this style because they were providing lunch during the trip?

I was recently on the train and plenty of people brought lunch and ate on the train.

The Sweet Tooth Cafe was selling boxed lunches for the train. They are just a couple blocks away from the train station.

I would second the Sweet Tooth Cafe...we ate there in May, food was great, and very reasonable...we did see people coming in to purchase a lunch for the train ride...have a great time!