US money used in Aruba, Curacao, and St Kitts? ?

Actually, we have found that USD are preferred by vendors and tour operators on most Caribbean islands especially the Dutch ones. The exception that comes to mind would be the French islands that use the euro.

Edited by robtulipe

Yes they do and we received change back in American currency on every island that we used cash! :cool:

It depends on how tourist oriented the business is. We went to a grocery store in Aruba that was a few blocks off the main drag and we could pay in US dollars but got the change in Florins. (No doubt a poor exchange rate too.)

Absolutely, please keep bringing your US dollars to the Caribbean. We love you using them, as it's an exchange in our favor for any street exchange rate. Thanks! You're paying for the convenience, which really works in all of our various currency differences..again, thanks, lol....if the difference doesn't matter to you, go ahead, keep using US dollars in countries who have a different currency.... There's a reason we like it when you do so!

Edited by reedprincess

You cannot count on Guest Services always having smaller bills ... sometimes so many people get change that they run out ...

This.

Take a little adult responsibility and bring your own. I hoard singles and small bills throughout the year a bit at a time, so when It's time to cruise, I have plenty on hand, and don't need to bother guest services once on board.

Alternately, go to your own bank before you leave. They will be happy to give you any denomination bills.

...Take a little adult responsibility and bring your own. I hoard singles and small bills throughout the year a bit at a time, so when It's time to cruise, I have plenty on hand, and don't need to bother guest services once on board.

Alternately, go to your own bank before you leave. They will be happy to give you any denomination bills.

Actually GS often has an excess of small bills. Those $1 and $2 dollar tips to bartenders (often at regular bars and I always do this in the Diamond Lounge), room servers, etc get deposited in the crew bank (either for larger bills or credit to their account), and are recycled to guests at GS so they can continue to tip:). Sure I arrive with some singles, but I never worry about running out as Guest Services is there to service guests (or have I missed something there?:rolleyes:). No need to bother your bank at home and then schlep a load of ones.