Cabana's @Labadee - are they nuts?

We had one last Augist for about $250 but did not get one last month at $450! However they do sell out so looks like they can charge what they like if people are fool enough or rich enough to pay it.

So someone is a fool for spending that much? I think it's crazy to go on a cruise and spend $800 on booze but I still wouldn't call them a fool because we all decide what is valuable to us. What you spend your money on may seem ridiculous to me and vice versa. Doesn't mean one is more worth it.

We always book one at BB.

We liked it better when the price was lower but we do it for numerous reasons. The main one is I need to be mindful of how much sun I get. My dad passed from melanoma cancer and I have had a few moles removed but all has been good so far. Our 9 year old son likes a spot to sit in the shade and relax when he isn't swimming. We also like it so we don't have to step off the ship immediately to find a spot with shade. I wouldn't book it for a short day at Labadee but all of our stays have been full days.

We have joked about subletting the extra spots to recoup some of the cost but we never have. :D

The reality is that less than 1% of the non suite cabins can be accommodated at Nellie's. The odds for suite passengers are better at BB, closer to 50%.

As Sam said, they aren't for everybody. Maybe they could auction them off. :rolleyes:

Don't give them any ideas please.:p Bella looked good yesterday by the way.

Side note, my new 2017 Shelby GT 350R arrives mid-August so your trailer shot yesterday was very suitable. Supposedly only 25 are coming to Canada. If interested here is a video.

Sheesh. Three whole pages just to sum up what I learned the first day in Economics 101:

Supply and Demand folks. Supply is limited and the demand is there (with a literally captive audience).

Congratulations on your excellent memory .

My memory of basic economics mirrors yours . However after the second day of Intro to Economics we were introduced to the issue of customer relations in Micro 101 . At what point do you risk alienating your customer base ? I agree that RC should maximize revenue but they can't be perceived as preying on their captive customers , even if they are . :D

Edited by richstowe

Well I stand corrected. Was discussing the increase in cabana prices with my husband last night, and he said he would still want to get one. He reminded me that we don't pay for any other excursions, and how much he enjoyed swimming right off the cabana, the water mats that were provided, etc. It was one of his favorite beach days. :)

Side note, my new 2017 Shelby GT 350R arrives mid-August so your trailer shot yesterday was very suitable. Supposedly only 25 are coming to Canada. If interested here is a video.

You better hope that poster doesn't show up who hates these diversionary posts.;):D

You better hope that poster doesn't show up who hates these diversionary posts.;):D

We already have our water water front cabana booked for late August. :p

As for your very valid point, perhaps they should apply to CC for a job.:D

As for your very valid point, perhaps they should apply to CC for a job.:D

He is between jobs and has an IT background. ;)

We are on Western Freedom voyage, but no stop in Labadee.

NICE..... congratulations :D

We did a cabana a few years back for my 50th birthday as a special treat and because we figured that would be the only way we could get my parents off the ship. We payed (I think $200) then and enjoyed it for the most part. Granted, we (our cabana and a few others) had THE WORST cabana service individual. We had to keep finding someone from another section to help us. This was the only complaint for the whole trip. Money is relative to everyone as others have stated. But for these prices, I can't see myself spending those prices for a cabana. I'll just hide from the the sun the old fashioned way. Not go to the beach. Consider one more cabana available for someone else.

Erika

I like the idea of raffling one off during a bingo session; bet RC would take in more than $400 or 500 for one.

Personally, I'd never rent one out. I've always managed to find a relaxing and shady spot on Labadee for 25 years.

But RC offers what the customer wants; I think they should actually raise the prices and raise the amenities; include AC, offer spa treatments in the cabanas, etc. I don't know what the price point should be; just go up until they can't reliably sell out.

I like the idea of raffling one off during a bingo session; bet RC would take in more than $400 or 500 for one.

Personally, I'd never rent one out. I've always managed to find a relaxing and shady spot on Labadee for 25 years.

But RC offers what the customer wants; I think they should actually raise the prices and raise the amenities; include AC, offer spa treatments in the cabanas, etc. I don't know what the price point should be; just go up until they can't reliably sell out.

They could do a whole experience.

Zip line

Jet Ski

Cabana at BB

Dragon Coaster

How did you get yours booked already. We are on Oasis the day before you and have sent numerous emails to the concierge and have had no reply. We are staying in SLS 1720. Does that make any difference.

Thanks

Edited by cruisinck

Zip line

Jet Ski

Cabana at BB

Dragon Coaster

Not a bad idea. Like a package of amenities. But those are outward from the Cabana. I am thinking of things they could add within the cabana. I am sure they can find a way to get $800-1K per day with added amenities.

Not a bad idea. Like a package of amenities. But those are outward from the Cabana. I am thinking of things they could add within the cabana. I am sure they can find a way to get $800-1K per day with added amenities.

See that's the beauty of it. The Cabana guarantees you a place to wind down and have lunch between activities. ;)

See that's the beauty of it. The Cabana guarantees you a place to wind down and have lunch between activities. ;)

Basically they need to find a way to charge $1000 to make staying in a Cabana the same experience as staying in a balcony room with the shades closed and AC cranked :)

Shareholders unite.

YES the price is high!!!!!!! However some who hang out on this board cruise often... Many people take only one cruise a year/vacation a year, so no matter what the cost may be, if they can afford it, they will do it.

It seems high but people spend $100pp on the zipline and that stays busy. If you have a family of 4 doing the zipline its the same as a family renting a cabana all day. Looking at it that way the cabana is a better deal to me for a group.

This is what I was thinking too! I split the cost ($295) with my sister in November. It came to little more than what I would pay for a NICE excursion for the day. The Stingray City jet ski excursion I booked for Grand Cayman was $95/person not including lunch. Add in lunch (my son is a teenager and LOVES to eat) and drinks and I definitely would have been out of $220 easy.

I just realized that I should have split it into thirds because it was me, my son, and my sister in the cabana. I just split it in half. I owe her. :( Now I have guilt.

All that to say I think we'd do it again even at $400. $266 for the my son and I for the day still isn't bad in my book. That was a wonderful day. I'm not a sun and sand person, so it was wonderful to be able to look at the beautiful beach from the comfort of a sofa! :D

Zip line

Jet Ski

Cabana at BB

Dragon Coaster

That would be cool!!! My son decided AT Labadee that he wanted to do the Dragon Coaster AND he wanted me to do it with him. I paid like $25/person to go on that contraption and be scared to death! LOL!!!

We have never rented a Cabana at Labadee. Have always thought they were outrageous in price. Especially at the price they are now asking. IF people are willing to pay the price, then RC will and should keep raising the prices, as they are a company and want to remain profitable. I prefer to keep my cruise fare down, and let RC charge lots of $$$$ for their excursions. We do very little through the ship and mostly on our own.

THE WORST cabana service individual. We had to keep finding someone from another section to help us.

Erika

I wonder if we had the same guy on our last visit to Labadee. We were really disappointed in the service we had in September. He showed us to our cabana and one round of drinks and that was it. Never came by to check on us, wasn't around at all. Our other experience was completely different.