Warning - Never Ever trust Princess EZ Check in Seattle

I put two bags out in the Crown Princess hallway at dinner time as instructed with EZ Check bag tags firmly attached last Friday. The EZ Check bag tag said BBBB and some Princess reference numbers with no apparent airline routing information on the tag. One bag made it home with an added AA bag tag on the handle. One bag vanished.

Princess says:

"I am very sorry you are having this experience, as it is undeniably a very frustrating. I have diligently been checking with all parties involved for the past 2 days to see what happened to your missing bag. I have spoken with the Seattle Ground Operators and the ship. I do have confirmation that both bags tags were printed and entered into the system initially, but only the one bag (belonging to your wife) was scanned at the terminal for check in to be transported to the airport. We are still researching the chain of events, and hopefully your bag will be recovered. We do have 10 business days from your day of disembark until we would officially state the bag is lost. Have you been in contact with American Airlines as well?

As stated in the Passage Contract, the maximum compensable amount for a loss of this nature is US $250.00 per bag. Thankfully you opted to add Princess Vacation Protection on your booking, which I believe the Platinum coverage limit is close to 3K.

I will keep you up to date with any new information I have received."

Sorry your bag was lost. But in fairness, bags are lost everyday by airlines. Saying you'll never trust the service in Seattle is like saying you'll never trust Delta, American, etc. Bottom line is it happens...not often, but it happens everywhere. It just hurts more when it happens to you.

What a terrible experience & hopefully your bag will be returned to you.

While it could have happened to other passengers even though I've never read about it, EZ Check has always worked perfectly for me. So the title you've chosen to warn us to Never Ever trust Princess EZ Check in Seattle is an overstatement to me & I'll continue to use it.

One bad experience does not make it routine but thanks for sharing your experience & I'll more closely monitor EZ Check in Seattle.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I put two bags out in the Crown Princess hallway at dinner time as instructed with EZ Check bag tags firmly attached last Friday. The EZ Check bag tag said BBBB and some Princess reference numbers with no apparent airline routing information on the tag. One bag made it home with an added AA bag tag on the handle. One bag vanished.

Princess says:

"I am very sorry you are having this experience, as it is undeniably a very frustrating. I have diligently been checking with all parties involved for the past 2 days to see what happened to your missing bag. I have spoken with the Seattle Ground Operators and the ship. I do have confirmation that both bags tags were printed and entered into the system initially, but only the one bag (belonging to your wife) was scanned at the terminal for check in to be transported to the airport. We are still researching the chain of events, and hopefully your bag will be recovered. We do have 10 business days from your day of disembark until we would officially state the bag is lost. Have you been in contact with American Airlines as well?

As stated in the Passage Contract, the maximum compensable amount for a loss of this nature is US $250.00 per bag. Thankfully you opted to add Princess Vacation Protection on your booking, which I believe the Platinum coverage limit is close to 3K.

Take the 3K:D Just saying!!

According to Princess the EZ Check bag was [never] scanned at the [port] terminal for check in to be transported to the airport. I can't blame the airline for an EZ Check bag that apparently never even made it from the ship to the terminal.

Sounds like maybe someone stole your bag or at least took it by mistake..

Edited by Kenswing

I had two instances with luggage.

This happened after debarkation in the area were one picks up ones luggage after it has left the ship.A family with children were leaving the hall the child had my luggage.He said it was his ,and I showed him my unique label attached then he handed back to me...his parents were just walking ahead and did not get involved.Another time I looked around and around the hall.Then I saw a lady with a stacked trolley lower down was my luggage.She said she was just tidying up the area.Sorry but I always worry since these two instances at debarkation time.:(

Edited by kruisey

We are in a minority, in that we will not even consider using EZ Check at any port or with any cruise line. Our reasoning is quite simple. It is not a big deal for us to take our own luggage to the airport and personally hand it over to the airline. We put zip ties on our bags so that if they are opened we will know. When we get the luggage in the port, we check to see if there was any tampering. We then take the luggage to the airport (usually in a taxi or Uber car) and simply turn it over to the airline. If our luggage were to disappear we then know it was the airline (which we can prove with their own system) and its usually pretty easy to trace. But when you use EZ Check from a ship you are adding a few additional steps between when you check the luggage and when it is supposed to appear at your destination airport. If anything goes wrong it can be difficult to assess blame...and you can get caught up in the blame game (the airline can blame the port, the port the airline, etc).

Hank

I wish Princess had a better way than you leaving your bags out in the hallway. Something like being permitted to take your bags to a secured check in area on the ship. I seems to me that it would be quite easy to steal bags from the hallway by just switching bag tags.

Just wondering why anyone would want to steal someone's used clothes?

Princess says:

Sorry it happened to you but we have had a wonderful experience the 3x we have used it.

This is exactly what has always worried me about luggage service from any cruise line. Yes, it is wonderfully, amazingly easy. But if there is a problem, the various parties involved start pointing fingers at each other. In your case, while Princess says the bag was never scanned in at the airport, they ask if you have conferred with your airline. Ummmmm...if it was never given to the airline, why would they be able to assist you?

So somewhere between the time you put out the bags and the time it should have been scanned in at the airport it went MIA.

Good luck! I hope the $3K covers the loss.

In your case' date=' while Princess says the bag was never scanned in at the airport, they ask if you have conferred with your airline. Ummmmm...if it was never given to the airline, why would they be able to assist you?

So somewhere between the time you put out the bags and the time it should have been scanned in at the airport it went MIA.

Good luck! I hope the $3K covers the loss.[/quote']

As I read the information from Princess it indicates that the bag was never scanned at the terminal (cruise terminal) to be transported to the airport & there's no evidence that one bag ever left the cruise ship terminal.

This is exactly what has always worried me about luggage service from any cruise line. Yes' date=' it is wonderfully, amazingly easy. But if there is a problem, the various parties involved start pointing fingers at each other. In your case, while Princess says the bag was never scanned in at the airport, they ask if you have conferred with your airline. Ummmmm...if it was never given to the airline, why would they be able to assist you?

Good luck! I hope the $3K covers the loss.[/quote']

The OP indicated that it was not scanned TO BE TRANSPORTED TO THE AIRPORT. So it appears to be lost at the port. With that said it could have still been sent but not scanned, it could have scanned incorrectly. A whole range of possibilities exist.

The OP might ask them to check and see if there were any other anomalies on that day, such as a bag with a close number showing as having been scanned twice. Might also ask what the procedure is if a bag tag cannot be scanned, is it still sent to the airport? What is the process if the tag goes missing entirely. Is the bag just placed out with the other bags in the terminal?

I always put atleast two tags on a bag going to/from the ship

Edited by RDC1

I'm right at 3K but anticipating that insurance will cover 80%, at most. Also anticipating dealing with completing insurance claims since the name of the insurance game seems to be deny, deny, deny.

In thinking what could have happened I tend to rule out on board Princess workers making the bag completely disappear, at least while the voyage is still underway. That's because those workers could presumably go through the bag(s) in the ship hold searching for valuables but then it seems that it would be difficult. but not impossible, for the bag to completely disappear while still on the ship. They, as well as passengers could swap bag tags on the ship however to make bags get "lost" in the terminal.

When a passenger pays Princess extra money to EZ Check to insure that their bag at least makes it to the airline there should be added internal control measures taken by the cruise ship staff.

The OP indicated that it was not scanned TO BE TRANSPORTED TO THE AIRPORT. So it appears to be lost at the port. With that said it could have still been sent but not scanned, it could have scanned incorrectly. A whole range of possibilities exist.

The OP might ask them to check and see if there were any other anomalies on that day, such as a bag with a close number showing as having been scanned twice. Might also ask what the procedure is if a bag tag cannot be scanned, is it still sent to the airport? What is the process if the tag goes missing entirely. Is the bag just placed out with the other bags in the terminal?

I always put at least two tags on a bag going to/from the ship

Here's the Princess answer to the above:

"There were 3 bags with issues, and they were addressed and confirmed with the rightful owners. Any bags left over at pier are dealt with by the local ground handlers, and our department is copied on all of the reports - they are not sent to the airport.

"There were no left over pieces of luggage for your voyage, as they were all claimed. I have contacted the ship again today, and asked if they could double check if it is not still on board. I await their response."

I hope this was a simple understanding of a suitcase that got mis-placed on the ship. I wish you well.

From what I understand, getting replacements covered by insurance is a huge pain. A friend dealt with this with the airline and they wanted receipts of purchase of what was in the suitcase.

I hope they find your suitcase and get back to you soon!

Princess now says

"I can only speculate, but it could have been taken by another guest by accident, and then when they realized they had taken the wrong bag, they just leave it at the airport.

I have not had too many bags go completely missing in the past 2 years I have worked in this department, and when it does, it is so disheartening. I am really hoping for a favorable outcome."

OK, this last post from Princess has me puzzled. If the bag was tagged with the EZ Check tags, why would it ever have been placed where it could have been mistakenly taken by another passenger?

Are those bags not segregated when they are placed in the luggage hold area?

Again, wishing you all the best in getting it back.

Well that sure stinks. But something doesn't make sense to me. How could someone else have accidentally taken your bag when it was EZ check. Wouldn't the only people who should have had access to your bag been Princess or port workers? I hope you get it back!

OK' date=' this last post from Princess has me puzzled. If the bag was tagged with the EZ Check tags, why would it ever have been placed where it could have been mistakenly taken by another passenger?

Are those bags not segregated when they are placed in the luggage hold area?

Again, wishing you all the best in getting it back.[/quote']

Theoretically - it could have been taken by someone who walks off with their luggage.

I wish Princess had a better way than you leaving your bags out in the hallway. Something like being permitted to take your bags to a secured check in area on the ship. I seems to me that it would be quite easy to steal bags from the hallway by just switching bag tags.

Totally agree with you. We would much rather wheel them to a bin that's being locked after you place your luggage inside.