Cancelling my Escape and going back to Celebrity....

mystic51

In the interest of fairness the answer to your question is NO ! You can pay an extra 10 plus tips PP per day for the premium package . (Don't need to upgrade both people) .This would be similar to the "drink" part of NCL's drink package .

For me and DW , Celebrity is much better . We are bottom shelf types . :D

Also, for Celebrity you can upgrade (one or more people) for PART of the cruise, not everyday. You can also purchase for part of the cruise (I believe it's 3 or 4 days).;)

I decided a couple of months ago to give NCL another try after a couple of not very good cruises about 8 years ago... received an email with a special for the Escape with beverage package, 4 night specialty dining and received a $150 obc. Was surprised when I booked it that the gratuties were not included for the "free" beverage and dining packages. In fact, the free turned into an additional $188 for the 2 of us. (Packages are now even higher)..

Received an email today for a firecracker sale.. thought I'd check out NCL special to see if it might lower our cost... did not, but I was told about a Celebrity special. Having sailed with Celebrity numerous times in the past, and always very happy with the service, food, ships etc, decided to look at it. Ended up booking a Balcony 2B.. with free beverage package, $300 obc and tips included for hundreds less than NCL, actually less than $1100 per person. I'm cancelling our NCL cruise and going back to Celebrity..

Can anyone tell me why NCL charges the additional costs for their beverage and dining packages and advertises them as "free".. not really a free perk as they are on other cruiselines... I do believe from reading the reviews that NCL has improved over the years, and will probably give them another try, but it's hard to with all the extra costs..

so let's see? you are sailing on the same type and class of ship on the approximate same time and a similar or same itinerary for hundreds of $$ less including all gratuities and a $300 obc Either there is something totally wrong or you got one Hell of a good deal. Normally the great deals and I don't care what cruise line, turn out to have a catch.

Enjoy your cruise, lets hope you have no hidden surprises.

But people are noticing, en masse.

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago were I outlined my most recent "leaving NCL" experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369247

It's gotten out of hand. I cannot rationalize how they tack on the gratuities for a free promotion. I just don't get it. And when you book with another line who offers a free (and better!) all-inclusive beverage package, you start to feel a little dirty about having almost paid $188 extra for something that's billed as free. It's not even so much about the money, it's the principle... and the money.

ncl-feel-fee.jpg

We have been charged the gratuities for drinks for months now even though the alcohol is free: we are about to take our first cruise with specialty dining included: yes, we paid the gratuities up front.

Well yeah, eventually. That's the fatal flaw in the strategy. In the 1980s, Robert Crandall, then head of American Airlines, cleverly calculated that if you removed just one olive from every salad served to passengers, nobody would notice … and the airline would save $100,000 a year. If that's ALL you change, then great, but it never stops just there. They keep chipping away. Just like how most customers don't notice as it's happening, the executives don't see the harm of adding just one more straw to the camel's back. You can guess where that leads.

Take away fireworks. Ah who needs fireworks? Replace UDP with SDP. Then charge gratuities. Make some restaurants a la carte to encourage people to buy a SDP if not one of the perks. Raise the DSC (twice). Replace Nickelodeon with some generic kids program. Chip, chip, chip.

I agree with everything you've pointed out.

Change of leadership can ruin a brand if they keep chip chipping away.

I worked under Bob Crandall in the 80's and 90's. We were a respected airline then, flying wasn't a nightmare, fares were competitive and employees were paid well with gold standard benefits.

I'm retired now but sadly the leadership that followed Crandall's departure speaks for itself.

Celebrity is one of our favorites but I'm hearing more and more from unhappy cruisers that the new CEO Lutoff-Perlo is doing her own gradual chipping away.

Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

so let's see? you are sailing on the same type and class of ship on the approximate same time and a similar or same itinerary for hundreds of $$ less including all gratuities and a $300 obc Either there is something totally wrong or you got one Hell of a good deal. Normally the great deals and I don't care what cruise line, turn out to have a catch.

no catch... have my confirmation, my cabin confirmed, deposit applied. It is during their "firercracker sale".. I did receive the additional $75 obc because I booked before midnight tonight..

Let's see. The OP found a better deal than NCL and now there HAS to be a catch. LOL!

Bill

Let's see. The OP found a better deal than NCL and now there HAS to be a catch. LOL!

Bill

I guess there actually was a catch... I had to book before midnight tonight to receive the additional $75 obc.. making the total obc $375.. lol, amazing how many people still want to find something wrong with the offer... why is it so difficult to accept it for what it is?

Check out this post from someone comparing MSC and NCL...

I'm just back from a week in YC on Divina. Having sailed 50 plus times on NCL in Haven or suites' date=' I can tell you that MSC wins without a doubt.

Compared one week Caribbean on Escape and Divina, [b']Divina was 2400. per person compared to Escape at 4500. per.[/b]

The ship was the cleanest I've ever seen and not a spot of rust. The suite was large, well appointed and beautifully decorated in an understated European style, not Vegas garish as NCL. White glove service was impeccable and intuitive, I've had to chase down NCL butlers or not see them for days.

The private pool deck and Top Sail Lounge were an oasis on an otherwise loud and crowded ship. Tips for the butler and concierge are included but they blew me away, so I left additional.

The passenger mix was a bit more sophisticated (no upsells on MSC), many Europeans. The food was excellent and the dedicated restaurant phenomenal. I haven't had a memorable meal on NCL in years....

The major drawback is Miami, terrible terminal and port employees.....

So, I would highly recommend MSC over NCL. They win in every single point.

I guess there actually was a catch... I had to book before midnight tonight to receive the additional $75 obc.. making the total obc $375.. lol, amazing how many people still want to find something wrong with the offer... why is it so difficult to accept it for what it is?

It's the rose colored glasses they have on.

In November we are sailing the Breakaway in a Haven suite to FL/Bahamas for the third year in a row. NCL does suites as well as or better than any other line that we've sailed and we love the Haven. When the 2017 Breakaway fall schedule was released this week we called our PCC to ask about the Haven for November 2017. The same suite for the same week we have this November would have cost over 46% more next year.

Haven Hands down no one can beat.....but you are right...I sailed the Getaway this past May in a 2 bedroom penthouse suite and paid $6200, I am sailing the Epic this December same type of room $7000 and so I was looking at December 2017 on the Getaway 2 bedroom and it went up to $8400 given it is a different ship (smaller than Epic) still way more expensive. I hear great things about Celebrity suites and I would love to try them and see how they are but I love the whole "ship within a ship" concept on NCL.

I guess there actually was a catch... I had to book before midnight tonight to receive the additional $75 obc.. making the total obc $375.. lol, amazing how many people still want to

find something wrong with the offer... why is it so difficult to accept it for what it is?

You are talking about their beloved cruise line.

Some people act like you are talking about one of their family members.

Enjoy your cruise on X and your free perks

Bill

You got a great deal! I can't wait to try Celebrity, someday.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

No doubt you got a great deal. But there is a slight catch...summer cruises aren't included. I know that, speaking for myself as a teacher, I'm unable to take advantage of deals not in the summer, which is when there are basically no deals to be had. We booked NCL for this summer and got a great deal. It was cheaper than our trip on the Oasis 2 years ago, and this includes the gratuities of a drinks and SDP!

We'd love to cruise Celebrity again someday, but the options in the summer are limited stateside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I decided a couple of months ago to give NCL another try after a couple of not very good cruises about 8 years ago... received an email with a special for the Escape with beverage package, 4 night specialty dining and received a $150 obc. Was surprised when I booked it that the gratuties were not included for the "free" beverage and dining packages. In fact, the free turned into an additional $188 for the 2 of us. (Packages are now even higher)..

Received an email today for a firecracker sale.. thought I'd check out NCL special to see if it might lower our cost... did not, but I was told about a Celebrity special. Having sailed with Celebrity numerous times in the past, and always very happy with the service, food, ships etc, decided to look at it. Ended up booking a Balcony 2B.. with free beverage package, $300 obc and tips included for hundreds less than NCL, actually less than $1100 per person. I'm cancelling our NCL cruise and going back to Celebrity..

Can anyone tell me why NCL charges the additional costs for their beverage and dining packages and advertises them as "free".. not really a free perk as they are on other cruiselines... I do believe from reading the reviews that NCL has improved over the years, and will probably give them another try, but it's hard to with all the extra costs..

SMART! I am a Celebrity loyalist but booked my first cruise with NCL on the Escape for this November primarily to see WHY people put up with all of these fees and ongoing changes that negatively affect customers like the latest...no more water or soda can be brought onboard and they charge like $50 for a 12 pack? LOL!! And I have tried over and over to convince people that Celebrity does not nickel and dime you to death but rather has the intelligence to do the numbers and build stuff like the required tax on drinks while in port in Miami INTO their package price so we don't get bills for .67 cents. THAT, I could not believe when people told me yes, you get charges CENTS for each "free" drink..." this is not to mention NCL has the most expensive drink package.

Eh. I am actually looking at alternatives for November but I am locked into airfare. Enjoy!!! I'm jealous! Which ship? I've done Reflection 3 times now and Summit twice but not since it's dry dock.

But people are noticing, en masse.

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago were I outlined my most recent "leaving NCL" experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369247

It's gotten out of hand. I cannot rationalize how they tack on the gratuities for a free promotion. I just don't get it. And when you book with another line who offers a free (and better!) all-inclusive beverage package, you start to feel a little dirty about having almost paid $188 extra for something that's billed as free. It's not even so much about the money, it's the principle... and the money.

ncl-feel-fee.jpg

I swear it's because they have statistics that show them the number of people actually consuming MORE or slightly more than $188 in booze is minuscule in the scheme of things so essentially, we think we're getting a free package but are paying for it with this stupid asinine charge.

That certainly does sound like a nice beverage package. Do you happen to know if they use top shelf? I can't drink the cheap stuff ;) gives me an awful headache.

Their classic package covers most like Absolut. But if you wanted say, Ketel One, you would upgrade to the premium package for apps $15 more a day which also gets you Evian instead of Aquafina etc.

Their dining packages are better too. No one says 1 this, 1 that, can only go one time...1,1,1. lol On Celebrity, their Ultimate Dining Package is $29 a day and you can eat in their specialities every night of the cruise which, individually cost $40-50 ish so it is a substantial discount, go to the lunches in them when offered on port days, high tea things etc.....Hell, if you wanted to pig out, you could book as many specialty dinners in one night at the restaurants as you could fit in. No problem.

Haven Hands down no one can beat.....but you are right...I sailed the Getaway this past May in a 2 bedroom penthouse suite and paid $6200, I am sailing the Epic this December same type of room $7000 and so I was looking at December 2017 on the Getaway 2 bedroom and it went up to $8400 given it is a different ship (smaller than Epic) still way more expensive. I hear great things about Celebrity suites and I would love to try them and see how they are but I love the whole "ship within a ship" concept on NCL.

The suites have their own restaurant on Celebrity, just missing the private pool but X does have adult only--and enforced--solarium pools that never seem crowded.

Bottom line. It's either a good deal for your vacation or not. They can chip, chip, chip, but eventually, they're either competitive or they're not. Filled cabins will tell the tail.

The number of cabins discounted in the weeks leading up to the cruise to FILL them is what tells the real story. Any way to get that info? I'd love to see it.

SMART! I am a Celebrity loyalist but booked my first cruise with NCL on the Escape for this November primarily to see WHY people put up with all of these fees and ongoing changes that negatively affect customers like the latest...no more water or soda can be brought onboard and they charge like $50 for a 12 pack? LOL!! And I have tried over and over to convince people that Celebrity does not nickel and dime you to death but rather has the intelligence to do the numbers and build stuff like the required tax on drinks while in port in Miami INTO their package price so we don't get bills for .67 cents. THAT, I could not believe when people told me yes, you get charges CENTS for each "free" drink..." this is not to mention NCL has the most expensive drink package.

Eh. I am actually looking at alternatives for November but I am locked into airfare. Enjoy!!! I'm jealous! Which ship? I've done Reflection 3 times now and Summit twice but not since it's dry dock.

This will be our first on the Reflection.. have sailed on the Solstice twice, Sillouette, Millennium twice, Summit and the Century 3 times.. looking forward to the Reflection.. Have also sailed on Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL and RCL..

I remember my first Celebrity Cruise, as I walked onto the ship and was greeted with Champagne I thought, "Now this is what I've always thought Cruising should be".. Everything was first class and the food was unbelieveable..

The Escape's reviews have been getting better and better, and I was looking forward to trying NCL again, but this was too good to pass up. We had sailed with NCL last probably about 7-8 years ago and we were so disappointed with the food and service that we said we'd never go back, but as I said the Escape was enticing.. I was shocked when I first booked the Escape with the "free beverage package and free specialty dining package" and was told it would be an additional $188 for the gratuties.. I had only had the free beverage pkg on Celebrity, so I assumed all cruise lines were the same and when they said "free".. the gratuties would be included..

Celebrity does have some great deals out there right now, especially for next winter's Caribbean trips. You can easily get tips/drinks included with $400-$600 in additional OBC with booking a standard balcony cabin. I was one of those who at first wasn't bothered by all of NCL's changes, but I find myself doing an eye roll every time I read about something new that has been cut or trimmed back. They're on a path to becoming the RyanAir of cruises.

I suspect a lot of people who book NCL would be more likely to shop CCL or RCL as an alternative before they chose Celebrity. For us with no kids that don't care about all of the extra activities and features, it's a no brainer. It's been years since I have been on Celebrity. But, compared to our Escape cruise last winter I expect a pretty noticable difference in the overall feel of the cruise.

You made the right decision, no doubt. I really enjoyed my Escape cruise but NCL is not Celebrity. That's a great deal you got, and on a better cruise line. Enjoy your cruise. :)

SMART! I am a Celebrity loyalist but booked my first cruise with NCL on the Escape for this November primarily to see WHY people put up with all of these fees and ongoing changes that negatively affect customers like the latest

If I've got this straight - You booked a cruise

" primarily to see WHY people put up with all of these fees and ongoing changes..." ?

Politely I'd have to say That is insane . :confused:

Edited by richstowe