Packing Tips / Tricks for Oasis of the Seas

Going on our first cruise in a long time. 3 years since a 5 day on Disney - and 10 years since our last RCI cruise. I tried searching but didn't do a good job .... Looking for whatever packing tips or tricks you experienced cruisers can give me. (And will be at the dollar store in a couple of hours to see what helpful things I can find).

Beyond hanging shoe holders, what else? Leaving on Oasis in 2 weeks and totally unprepared. Tips and advice fully appreciated :). We'll be in an OV Balcony on the 6th floor with 9 (birthday on day 2) and 6 year old.

Thanks!!

The Dollar Tree, as well as other places, have great pop-up clothes hampers and they take up NO room in your luggage. They fit perfectly in the closet and keeps dirty clothes contained. I also take plastic bags....larger ones for dirties or trash bags to pack in my bag for disembarkation. I just don't care for dirty clothes just laying in my luggage.

Funny, I tried that but still wasn't finding what I was looking for. Looking for oasis specific tips related to things like over the door organizer, what kind of plug in strips I can bring - anything special I should know for oasis. But, thanks.

Oasis is no different then any other ship in terms of packing and preparation, or what you can or cannot bring on board with you. Check the RCI website for those guidelines if needed. Pack what you need as you would for any vacation with the guideline that you will probably want two changes of clothes for each day - one for the day (plus swimsuits) and one for the evening. We never have seen the need for door or other organizers as the closets, drawers, and shelves provide enough storage for us.

The only "tip" I can offer is that your suitcases (unless overly large) will fit under your beds for storage. We put our dirty clothes from each day in them (in plastic bags if desired or as needed) and by the end of the week we are 90% packed to go home. We then can spend most of the last day enjoying the ship instead of packing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Funny, I tried that but still wasn't finding what I was looking for. Looking for oasis specific tips related to things like over the door organizer, what kind of plug in strips I can bring - anything special I should know for oasis. But, thanks.

You can see many cabin hacks, info, and ship tips in my review here: Enjoy your cruise on my favorite ship!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224751

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've never needed an "over the door" thing...plenty of storage for all the crap I bring! There are shelves everywhere...drawers, cubby, closet...you really don't need to bring anything special We plug and unplug as needed, so no plug strips..... Pack for the weather...and have fun!

We've never needed an "over the door" thing...plenty of storage for all the crap I bring! There are shelves everywhere...drawers, cubby, closet...you really don't need to bring anything special We plug and unplug as needed, so no plug strips..... Pack for the weather...and have fun!

Well it depends on your cabin and your budget. Our first cruise was EOS interior, we won't do that again, way too tiny. We tried JS with Balconcy, better but still cramped for us. Next is Crown Loft on Oasis.

We never did the over the door deal. Not even a power strip. We prefer to travel light and if you get stuck needing a shirt, trunk, beach slippers you can buy they on board or at a port.

Just bring enough SD cards and fresh batteries.

My packing tip is, "less is more." I have a packing list and I follow it faithfully.

You will need about 1/2 of what you pack otherwise.

Never have found a need for many of the items some pack and take like over door/packing cubes/power cords. We travel to enjoy the ship and at times the ports and do not dress to impress anyone, especially since we most likely will never see them again. I have never been on a cruise where they held a "best dressed" contest. Pack and wear what is comfortable for you. It is your vacation.

Traveling with children, I would suggest the families boards for ideas. There is so much to do on ship you will want to stay on for the next cruise.

Happy Sails to You

• 5 weeks later...

I usually being a power strip extension cord so I can have my device in bed. So far lucky enough not to confiscate. I tend to bring a pharmacy with me. Last time I needed Benadryl and had to buy in ship and it was double cost. I don't do the over the door thing either but it's just me and my kid.

I bring markets to highlight activities. I try to know the ship before I get on so I know what things I want to do. My kid likes to play board games so I try and find the library.

Other than medicine I don't go too crazy on the packing either.

I bring tape to tape the invites/itinerary/events/reservation cards to the inside of a closet door to keep myself organized. Otherwise I miss things! Also I like suction cups to stick on a wall to hold hats and purses.

I like to pack a few magnets with clips on them to hang notes, hats, small stuff, etc. The entire cabin is magnetic, so you can hang them anywhere!:cool: You can leave notes for family telling them where you are, notes to your cabin steward, or daily "to do" type notes!;)

I also pack duct tape. Believe it or not, I did find it useful one time when my garment back broke and I had to duct tape it to keep it closed!:eek:

Don't know ages of your children, but my first cruise, my 2 children were teens. I typed up index cards with their names & email addresses (long before FB). Ended up being a big hit with the teens.

I visit the dollar tree store and stock up pharmacy items like Benadryl, Imodium, Tylenol and Neosporin. The foil packs don't take up much room and last for years, so I keep them in my toiletry bag for future travel.

Another handy item to keep is the small packaged poncho from the dollar store. You can stuff them easily in a shoe for packing.

I have packed individual daily outfits in a the gallon size Ziploc. Put shorts, shirt, undergarment, socks into one bag. squeeze out the air and takes up less room and easier to grab then ruffling through drawers looking for outfits. Ziplocs can be used for other purposes too and stored in suitcases after your trip for future travels (as long as you only use for clean clothes).

the BEST advice I can give is google travel blogs/packing blogs on smart and light packing. There is simply no need to bring everything but the kitchen sink, but watching some of these backpackers or people who travel 1 carry on per person offer great tips on how to physically pack items in bags, how to mix and match clothing articles so you don't have to bring so many clothes, travel hacks, and more.

If I am going on a 7 day cruise, I can take only a backpack (and pay to do laundry mid week) if I don't bring my snorkel gear, and a carry on if i bring snorkeling stuff (no laundry needed on the ship with a carry on)

of course everyone is different on what they pack, i prefer to travel light and only bring things of absolutely necessity with me, but trust me, even if you are a heavy packer, just google or youtube travel blogs, packing blogs, and there is so much useful info out there!

I always bring duct tape with me. But instead of packing a roll of it I take an old gift card or "fake" credit card (always coming in the mail) and simply wrap duct tape around it so it is flat for packing. Keep it with my luggage and just bring it each time I pack/travel. My same flat roll has cruised to Alaska, the Caribbean and all over Northern Europe! I also bring Bonine, Imodium AD, bandaids, eye drops, and sun tan lotion. You can buy most of these things on the ship but if seas are rough the Bonine sells out very quickly! You can borrow board games from the library or game room but they seem to get checked out very early on and people keep them in their cabin for the duration so can be hit or miss. Load your Kindle or plan to borrow library books when you first get on the ship. Although the book selection is getting slimmer lately. Pop up laundry hampers are the best as it keeps the laundry confined. Zip lock bags (multiple sizes) serve many purposes (good to use one ziplock bag to put in the room safe with your passport and valuables so nothing gets left behind in the safe) and some empty kitchen trash bags are good for packing dirty clothes when time to go home. I have never brought the over the door storage or organizing containers; plenty of drawer and closet space. Luggage fits under the bed especially if carry on suitcases are put inside of the larger cases. Bring less clothes and shoes than you think you need; you will tend to wear things more than once cause who cares what others think; odds of ever seeing these people again are pretty slim! Plus they will be doing the same thing! And I never bring any jewelry. Have a wonderful time!

DCL and NCL have free Bonine at the medical station on a jar for grabs. I'm assuming RCCL would as well. Anyone know?

Yes, free at Guest Services (ask for it) and at medical on deck 1.

Edited by clarea