Did You Purchase a Watch on Your Celebrity Cruise? Does it Still Run?

I refuse to pay these outrageous prices for a watch purchased on a cruise ship. I will only pay $ 7.99 for these $ 20 watches.

I have a $5 watch that have I owned for 3 years, I hope it doesn't stop because a new battery might cost me more than the original price. (the battery is probably a size that is no longer made)

I bought a $20 watch on a cruise last year and it still works.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have 25-30 watches, purchase price (or current value for some of my older ones) ranging from $100 to maybe $1500. Nothing too extravagant except my Dad's gold Omega that may or may not be original, may or may not be of any value. Yes, I have bought 2-3 watches aboard. Prices were about what I would pay back home and they gave me a way to use OBC. The cheap crap is obviously cheap crap, but it is what it is and can be a fun souvenir. Just don't expect Rolex quality from watches on the $20 sale table.

Hubby bought a nice Citizen eco-drive that was on sale and it is still ticking. He's had it for about 3 years.

I bought a Citizen Eco drive Night hawk watch on Princess island in May. I checked the price on Amazon and the ship was $80 cheaper than Amazon. There is a difference between the cheaper watches sold in the lobbies as a pop up sale and those in the shops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every family member has one! As someone else said it is a great way to use up the OBC.

If we actually are looking for a new watch, camera...we will usually board with some idea of prices and if we save a few dollars, great. Last two cruises we have seen people on their phones in the shops looking up the prices of items on the Internet, not so easy anymore for the sales staff to convince us how great the savings are!

Never bought one of the cheap watches - simply because I never liked one.

If I had, I would not expect it to run for 20 years (except battery changes) as my old one did.

I did, however, buy a nice TAG Heuer on our last cruise (no, not for 20$). After I looked at it on several previous cruises I finally bought it - for a better price than on land and just about the same as the internet. Half of it was paid for with OBC we had and did not know how to spend it anyway... So it was either jewelry for DW or my watch. I was first :D

No, all jokes aside, my wife encouraged me to get it after I looked at it for so long.

Bottom line: cheap stuff might last long or it might not. If ist doesn´t - it was cheap, so what. Compare the price of the brand name watches - Celebrity prices are not that bad at all and you´ll always get service anywhere for brand names.

I bought a Citizen Eco-drive several years ago and it is still working just fine. The only issue I had was that they would not adjust the band on board. I went to a major department store which gladly made the adjustment for me.

I got one of the inexpensive ones at a discount from the $20 asking fee. The battery died shortly after one year. I used to joke that the cost of the battery was nearly the same as what I had paid for it.

You cannot expect anything on a 19.99 table to work well or work for long. All in the name brand, the warranty, and the brand reputation. I did get a G Shock Camo Casio after hitting $1000 on the slot machines. After some research, I made out OK on the purchase.

I probably have at least five or six Citizen watches I have bought onboard over the past ten or so years. All of them continue to work just fine, thank you. Celebrity used to have a standing 40% discount on Citizen, but within the past couple of years lowered the discount to 35%. On a recent European cruise on the Connie, I noticed they watch shop had a clearance section, where a few beautiful Citizens could be had for 50% off. I bought one. Just couldn't resist. :) Note that in St. Thomas and St. Maartin, the typical discount on Citizen is 40%, but I have negotiated discounts as high as 50%.

The Citizen Eco watches - Signature Collection are really excellent quality watches, . 3 years on and hardly ever taken off, it keeps perfect time, the only small scratch is on the clasp where the watch might come into contact with a work surface

The prices Celebrity charge (On Eclipse in Europe is my comparison) is a good buy compared with UK High street prices but more expensive than a good independant UK jeweller might be prepared to sell it to you for. Mine worked out about £60 less than it was selling for on the Eclipse which was about £120 less than UK retail.

Most $20 watches run the risk of being poor quality - a few years back I purchased a cheap watch from Marks and Spencer - it didn't last a year. I suspect that a lot of these cheap watches come off the same production lines that make the genuine fakes and non genuine fakes (tour guide terminology when asked "where can I buy a decent fake Rolex") that you see in the markets in South East Asia

Edited by DYKWIA

Ditto on the Citizen watches...DH and I used OBC to buy one for each of us. Many comments by folks who admire them. If I buy one of the cheap watches it is purely because I like the look of it. I would throw it before I buy a battery for it. I have been known to wear non-functioning watches because they are pretty...especially my sparkly ones. Just don't ask me what time it is.

I bought a Citizen EcoDrive on my first cruise in '07. I paid about $75 less than the best internet price I found. It still works perfectly.

My wife bought a Tissot to replace her Seiko about 2 years ago while on a ship. She's still very happy with it.

If you stay with the quality brands you should be OK. I'd never buy one of the $20 specials.

Not on X, but on RCI, we've bought 4 or 5 Citizen eco drive watches over the years. One of DH's just died after about 10 years but the rest are gong strong. I've had one that I had bought on land that lasted almost 15 years. I've also found the prices are pretty much the same onboard as they are on land. We do not buy the cheap $20 watches they sell onboard.

Edited by BND

I had extra OBC on the Silhouette a year ago and used some of it to buy a Citizen Eco Drive. Love it, still keeps perfect time so another vote for Citizen. No idea if it was a great deal or not but I was shopping with free money.

I had extra OBC on the Silhouette a year ago and used some of it to buy a Citizen Eco Drive. Love it, still keeps perfect time so another vote for Citizen. No idea if it was a great deal or not but I was shopping with free money.

You could have bought a drink with that OBC instead. So if the free watch lasts longer than the buzz from the free drink your'e a winner!:D

I've purchased a few watches throughout the years onboard. Mostly Anne Klein. They run great, are attractive, and relatively not expensive. About $100 each. I get the batteries changed when needed, and enjoy them as a piece of jewelry.

Early on in cruising, I bought an Anne Klein on a RCCL cruise on the $10 table. Went home to visit my mother the next month and she had on the exact watch. She had recently purchased from her jeweler and paid many more times for her watch! :rolleyes: It is a beautiful watch in silver satin and gold tones. It still works, but I quit wearing it because I can no longer read the dial. Now wearing watches with a 1" round dial. LOL It's a $20 Fossil that I also bought onboard. :D

Purchased a Stuhrling watch on board the Summit in January and within 2 weeks a band pin sheared off. The sales associate also lied to me about the watches capabilities. Only found that part out after contacting Stuhrling. Was able to contact Celebrity and get a refund. Needless to say I will not be purchasing watches on board again.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Another satisfied Eco drive customer. DH and I have both bought on board, on different cruises, using OBC.

I bought a $10 watch years ago when the battery on my pre eco drive watch died. It kept good time for the duration of the cruise, but the knob fell off just after I arrived home, so I couldn't adjust to local time.

Sheila

Probably 8 or 9 yrs ago we were on a HAL cruise & my husband wanted to play golf on one of the islands but it was not a ship excursion. I was so worried that he would be playing & forget the time & miss the boat. This very same thing happened to another couple in a different port & they had to join the ship at another port.

My husband was not about to wear one of his watches ashore since they are pricey so we went to one of the stores onboard & found this really big, bright yellow watch for $5.00!

All these years later it still runs . It is worn daily by my husband's coworker- they work at a marina- & the friend does a lot of boat painting. So in addition to being a gaudy watch to begin with it also has various bottom paint splatters on it but...STILL RUNS FINE!