A moral dilemma

3 senior citizens labelled as potential terrorists. if that would have been my mum I would have hoped they got assistance from the cruising community.

Then. Someone actually backs up the comment......really?

Please leave your paranoia at the airport and try to help each other rather than suspect senior citizens in need of help of being terrorists.

3 senior citizens labelled as potential terrorists. if that would have been my mum I would have hoped they got assistance from the cruising community.

Then. Someone actually backs up the comment......really?

Please leave your paranoia at the airport and try to help each other rather than suspect senior citizens in need of help of being terrorists.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Agree with all you've said. I've organized and participated in many private tours and always make sure tour participants have contact info for the guide/tour company with them. It's possible they picked up a tour at the port and were not on a pre-arranged tour. Even so....they should have asked for some kind of contact info when they were dropped off on their own.

In addition I always have the Port Agent's info from the Cruise Compass whether we're on a private tour or just walking around in a port.

I didn't think about your first comment in red, and that could have happened.

As for your second point, we too always have the port agent info with us. It doesn't matter if we can see the ship from the beach at Holland House in St Martin or we are 1.5 hours away from the ship in Florence, Italy. It is just a good practice to do.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a tour company picking up extras; to me it could be a potential safety issue. There is no verification they came FROM the ship, other than their word, really. This is more of an ethical dilemma than a moral one. Moral guides your own sense of right and wrong, ethical deals with the business rules in place.

Let me put it to you this way; would you have been comfortable had the tour bus stopped to pick up hitchhikers along the way who were trying to get closer to the port, and at no extra charge while you paid for a specific benefit?

These are senior citizens stranded not ISIS,ask for sea pass cards,charge them taxi fare if you want,but show some compassion and get them back to the ship safe and sound:mad:

These are senior citizens stranded not ISIS,ask for sea pass cards,charge them taxi fare if you want,but show some compassion and get them back to the ship safe and sound:mad:

Why are you responding mad towards me and not those suggesting the people are up to no good?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with them on the bus. That doesn't mean I have no empathy. The tour guide called a cab for them. Simple.

Why are you responding mad towards me and not those suggesting the people are up to no good?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with them on the bus. That doesn't mean I have no empathy. The tour guide called a cab for them. Simple.

I got to say this is truly shameful and a sad reflection on how are nation is, as a society in 2016!!!! :mad::eek:

Edited by gkbiiii

Second hand story.

Three people who didn't know the name of their tour company or have contact information.

We don't actually know they were from the Indy.

We don't have enough information to know what's right or wrong here. We don't actually know whether they were left behind or lost. We don't actually know that they were from the Indy. For all we know, the tour guide (yeah, I do believe that all the guides on a small island would know one another) may've contacted their guide to pick them up -- after all, getting them back to their original group would be better than picking them up.

As for terrorism, comparing these three people to ISIS is pretty extreme -- but what do terrorists look like? If I had a tour company, I'd have a rule against picking up "hitch hikers". Yeah, these three sound like nothing but friendly, confused old people ... but what about next week when it's a young couple in need of help? or next-next week when it's two questionable looking men? If you do for one, you do for others.

I got to say this is truly shameful and a sad reflection on how are nation is, as a society in 2016!!!! :mad::eek:

I don't feel shame saying I would not be comfortable picking up extras along the way.

The OP took place in the Med. Would you feel comfortable giving a lift to strangers?

Maybe aim your ire at those saying the elderly were scammers, which I never said

I agree that -- if the guide couldn't figure out which group they'd been with -- putting them in a taxi would be a good choice. Doesn't compromise the tour in any way. Doesn't leave people stranded.

However, I continue to wonder if these three were mentally "all there". I mean, I wouldn't have too much trouble problem-solving /calling a taxi for myself, if I thought I'd lost my group.

I was on a private tour in Belize that picked up two backpackers on our way to our excursion destination. I was definitely NOT happy about that. My kids were on the bus.

I'm sure there are liability issues with picking up random strangers, regardless of whether they are 'safe' or not. What would you do if someone who looked safe came knocking on your door at home? Would you let them in? Or offer to call for assistance?

I was on a private tour in Belize that picked up two backpackers on our way to our excursion destination. I was definitely NOT happy about that. My kids were on the bus.

I'm sure there are liability issues with picking up random strangers, regardless of whether they are 'safe' or not. What would you do if someone who looked safe came knocking on your door at home? Would you let them in? Or offer to call for assistance?

I agree with you. I would offer to call for help. By doing that I am doing something.

I had someone at the Santa Monica Pier a few weeks ago ask me for some change or small bills. I told them no, simply because they were nicely dressed and drinking an iced Starbucks Coffee. Maybe someone gave it to them, but my cynical nature regrefully makes me double look at many situations.

I will and do help, but I also do my best not to be fooled.

Why would you not feel comfortable with them on the bus,are they going to invade your space,or maybe fart,pull a knife,or maybe they could praise you all for being good people .

Have you been to Europe ? It's safe, get a grip open your eyes and don't be a scardy cat:)

That comment is rather crude. When you travel you must always be aware of your surroundings, that is just common sense. As far as Europe being safe, do you watch the news? There are bad things happening in Europe. You have no right to tell anyone to get a grip. If someone does not feel comfortable in a situation then there is usually a reason. I was not there, so I am not going to judge how anyone handled the situation or how they felt about the lost passengers. However, I am making a judgement about you as I find your comments belittling to the poster.

On a side note, many times senior citizens play the entitlement card. They may have been confused and wanted a free ride back to the ship. These same people butt in line, get on an elevator before anyone gets off, and must be first in line for everything, and even steal the sweet and low. I've seen this behavior too many times to count. It's a game a lot of them play to see how much they can get away with.

No bashing please, I am a senior myself and sick and tired of this rude entitlement behavior. :mad:

I'm with the others who say maybe call a cab for them, but don't put them on the bus.

It has NOTHING to do with the fear that they are "terrorists" or have nefarious intent in any way. It has to do with the fact that I paid for the tour through the ship, and the transportation is a big part of that cost. Why should others get it free?

If these seniors had the wherewithal and sensibility to book their own tour, then they should have been resourceful enough to take care of themselves. Either know the tour company and contact info, or just get a darn taxi.

As an almost-senior myself, I agree that there are seniors who play the entitlement card, and it annoys me no end.

On a side note, many times senior citizens play the entitlement card.

You've just described my mother in law to a tee. Sometimes it's painful to be with her in public when she feels she wants something she isn't otherwise allowed to have.

Recently I simply explained the situation (that she was going to lie about, play the senior citizen card, and also the foreign language card) and got exactly what she wanted (and was totally entitled to). She was amazed. Couldn't believe that I didn't have to lie and jump through hoops. (it was a return at Walmart...it's not exactly rocket science)

There's nothing new about society today that wasn't true 50 years ago. Senior citizens can be criminals just as easily as 20 year olds.

The insurance companies are stronger now; if the shuttle had taken those people and had gotten into an accident, because they had the people who weren't officially booked, the insurance company might not have paid on the claim that would have been made. The shuttle company might have had to go out of business. People onboard might not have gotten their injuries paid etc etc. All because they picked up people who weren't booked with them.

Much easier to confer with them, get on the phone to *no doubt* arrange something for them, and continue along the way.

That comment is rather crude. When you travel you must always be aware of your surroundings, that is just common sense. As far as Europe being safe, do you watch the news? There are bad things happening in Europe. You have no right to tell anyone to get a grip. If someone does not feel comfortable in a situation then there is usually a reason. I was not there, so I am not going to judge how anyone handled the situation or how they felt about the lost passengers. However, I am making a judgement about you as I find your comments belittling to the poster.

Maybe Passed Wind would have been better,not as crude,as for watching the news,yes i watch the news.

There are bad things happening all over the world.I find your comments negative and it's people like you who let Terrorists win,this thread was about senior citizens not being allowed on a bus.

:(

Given the high security alerts, especially currently and in Europe, I would assume tour buses are forbidden from picking up extra passengers. Sad, but even innocent-looking seniors could be terrorists; a very sad fact in our world today. Sounds like the guide attempted to help by making a phone call - perhaps called a taxi for them.

As I was the one who first mentioned terrorists , I would like to comment again. So many people are not reading exactly what I said. I travel to Europe and i am a senior citizen and in no way would I "let the terrorists win by living in fear." I simply said that I would assume tour buses are forbidden from picking up extra passengers - probably because of security or insurance reasons.

As I was the one who first mentioned terrorists , I would like to comment again. So many people are not reading exactly what I said. I travel to Europe and i am a senior citizen and in no way would I "let the terrorists win by living in fear." I simply said that I would assume tour buses are forbidden from picking up extra passengers - probably because of security or insurance reasons.

Was not aimed at you,my point is, The thread is about senior citizens being refused a ride to the ship after being left by a private company.I think this is wrong,my opinion.....