Wine policy in the Mediterranean

Sunsailor

We will be sailing on the Konigsdam in October. Does HAL enforce the corkage fee wine policy for wine brought on board in Ports? This is our first Med cruise on Holland America. In the past we have sailed Princess and we just walked on with our wine...no one even mentioned it.

Yes, HAL charges a corkage fee for all wine brought on board, beyond the one 750ml bottle per adult.

The one exception to this rule is wine purchased while on a HAL shore excursion to a winery.

Corkage fee enforcement when coming on board in ports is very erratic. We have seen ports where there is no wine steward in attendance to check bags and ports where there is a wine steward but they are not stopping anyone.

If nobody checks in your wine, you may still be asked to pay the corkage fee if you bring a bottle to the dining room, depending on your relationship with your wine steward.

The only real answer is ... maybe, or then again, maybe not !

We have never been one of the "lucky" ones.

We have paid corkage in all our European ports.

No biggie - we knew it would be charged and just paid.

Corkage fee enforcement when coming on board in ports is very erratic. We have seen ports where there is no wine steward in attendance to check bags and ports where there is a wine steward but they are not stopping anyone.
And not just at en-route stops; the last time we boarded at FLL (Nov'15) there was no one checking.

Edited by jtl513

One of the neat perks with HAL was the ability to bring wine on board. We brought a case of mixed reds and enjoyed some in our suite, and others in the dining room - where we did pay the corkage fee. Now I see that effective July 1 you can still bring on board as much as you want - but - you will pay $18 per bottle for all over one per person at the time you board. So no more wine for your stateroom ... boo hiss.

One of the neat perks with HAL was the ability to bring wine on board. We brought a case of mixed reds and enjoyed some in our suite, and others in the dining room - where we did pay the corkage fee. Now I see that effective July 1 you can still bring on board as much as you want - but - you will pay $18 per bottle for all over one per person at the time you board. So no more wine for your stateroom ... boo hiss.

I'm not sure what you are reading that says effective July 1. The "new" wine policy has been in effect for several years now.

We would just mention to the OP that Princess no longer allows passengers to bring wine aboard (for consumption) other then 1 bottle per person at the port of embarkation. Princess changed their policy a few years ago. HAL used to allow passengers to bring unlimited wine aboard at any port. But alas, they now charge a corkage fee (except for one bottle per person at embarkation).

Hank

I'm not sure what you are reading that says effective July 1. The "new" wine policy has been in effect for several years now.

They must have changed something since this is what is on the HAL web site:

2nu7j7k.jpg

I can't see much different from what it was before except perhaps rules on cruises "which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older, and for voyages which depart from and return to Japan, this policy applies to guests 20 years and older."

Edited by Boytjie

We would just mention to the OP that Princess no longer allows passengers to bring wine aboard (for consumption) other then 1 bottle per person at the port of embarkation. Princess changed their policy a few years ago. HAL used to allow passengers to bring unlimited wine aboard at any port. But alas, they now charge a corkage fee (except for one bottle per person at embarkation).

Hank

In February 2015 we were allowed to bring additional wine on the Regal Princess on embarkation in Port Everglades; a $15 corkage fee was charged for all bottles after the first fee-free one per adult. I remember it well because I forgot about the corkage and after a few days a charge for $30 from Vines appeared on my account even though we had not been there yet; the corkage was processed from there 2 or 3 days into the cruise.

This is currently on the Princess website's FAQ: "except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed."

Edited by Boytjie

Not to derail this thread and maybe I shouldn't post it here but I see where NCL has cut off bringing water, soda, and juices on board. Their new policy gets them down to just carrying on corkage fee wine and distilled/purified water for medical devices or reconstituting baby formula. I actually saw the announcement on frequent flyer board that has a small generic cruise sub-thread and the few NCL customers were not happy cruisers. Some are wondering if this will catch on with other lines.

Edited by Randyk47

Not to derail this thread and maybe I shouldn't post it here but I see where NCL has cut off bringing water and soda on board. Their new policy gets them down to just carrying on corkage fee wine and distilled/purified water for medical devices or reconstituting baby formula. I actually saw the announcement on frequent flyer board that has a small generic cruise sub-thread and the few NCL customers were not happy cruisers. Some are wondering if this will catch on with other lines.

On our charters bottled water and soda cannot be brought on board, even on HAL.