Large Charter caused dining problems

Karen13

No Ruth, that was it. Even though we knew some smaller groups were given compensation in the form of drinks vouchers onboard for their inconvenience. We overheard one of their group leaders saying they had threatened fo take their business to another cruise line in future if they were ever treated this way again.

Individual passengers like ourselves were just told 'sorry, nothing we can do'.

Sad, unfortunate, unfair, and a few more choice words I would not care to post.

Sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for answering. It sure leaves a sour taste in the mouth to know how you were treated---both aboard, and when HAL heard of your concerns.

Thanks, Boatdrill. I quoted your whole post and highlighted the HAL website info, because it emphasizes for me that the $$$$$ really ARE the bottom line. Therefore, I don't expect Karen13 (the OP) to get much of a satisfactory answer, nor do I expect things to change. The people with the biggest financial clout get what they want. So, it makes it all the more imperative that we do our research before we book. I am very grateful for CJCruzer's hard work in preparing and posting the group/charter/dry dock thread, which she updates periodically throughout the year. It must be remembered that she does this on a volunteer basis:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354486&highlight=charters[/quote

Youre right. Here is my reply on behalf of the the HAL President:

Thank you for contacting Mr. Orlando Ashford regarding your ms Nieuw Amsterdam sailing. Mr. Ashford has reviewed your concerns and asked me to express his regret for the disappointment you and Mr. Doyle encountered.

It is disappointing to hear that you feel your cruise experience was negatively impacted by the presence of a large group. Although we have groups of varying sizes on every sailing, we do try to balance their needs with the needs of our individual travelers to ensure that everyone aboard receives the same attentive service and access to shipboard amenities. We apologize for any inconvenience you encountered with this aspect of your sailing and will keep this feedback in mind as we continue to look for ways to improve the shipboard experience for all of our guests.

Thank you once more for contacting Mr. Ashford with your concerns. The feedback of our guests is vital to our continued growth and we hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you and Mr. Doyle on board in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Lisa Keys

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Disappointing to say the least.

I second a disappointment with that response.

With a cruise in December booked, and thanks to CJCruzers work, I have found that a Card Players Group will be on board. Reading other threads regarding this group prompted me to contact my PCC as to how they will impact that cruise, see about moving my booking to another week, - or to investigate a cruise on MSC who have been making overtures as an alternative. If the group would only be using meeting rooms I can live with that. But taking over what I consider public spaces (Crow's Nest, etc.) for the better part or all of the cruise will be too much.

Edited by Heartgrove

I second a disappointment with that response.

With a cruise in December booked, and thanks to CJCruzers work, I have found that a Card Players Group will be on board. Reading other threads regarding this group prompted me to contact my PCC as to how they will impact that cruise, see about moving my booking to another week, - or to investigate a cruise on MSC who have been making overtures as an alternative. If the group would only be using meeting rooms I can live with that. But taking over what I consider public spaces (Crow's Nest, etc.) for the better part or all of the cruise will be too much.

Let us know what your PCC says. My guess is something like "it will not impact your cruise", or a similar party line. :(

I'm also disappointed in OP's response from HAL. A sour taste indeed.

Thank you for sharing the response you received. It is indeed disappointing. My husband and I have only sailed on HAL and I really was hoping you would receive a better response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by gts101997

Thanks for the links to check on groups. I'm booked on the Oct. 23 7-day cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and shared the information on our roll call. Several people are having their TAs find out more about the size of the group, which is one of the conservative Christian ones. And now we find that HAL informed one woman that there are TWO large groups on our cruise and the ship must have the upper and lower dining rooms cleared by 8pm for those groups to use.

Now I'm concerned about the second group and wonder if it's one that will take over the Crow's Nest. I'm so tempted to just cancel, but I got some very good freebies for this cruise that I'd hate to lose.

MY TA is going to try to find out about all this on Monday when she gets back to work.

In fairness, the staff onboard were sympathetic and did all they could but they were faced with an impossible situation. They were as frustrated as we were, as I am sure they all want their passengers to have a great time.

We have recently done a couple of cruises on Windstar which is a smaller cruise line. Little evening entertainment and no formal nights. But a relaxed atmosphere, ships of 120-300 passengers and great personal service. This might be the way forward for us in the light of this experience. It's a pity but HAL seems to be putting the needs of these large groups before ordinary passengers.

Karen13: I am disappointed about that non-response from HAL.

As you have noted in one of your posts, one or two pax don't mean much to a cruise line, but the small group that complained onboard and threatened to pull its future business was listened to.

Unfortunate, but I suppose, so common.

Karen - this statement from the HAL President's Office ("Although we have groups of varying sizes on every sailing, we do try to balance their needs with the needs of our individual travelers to ensure that everyone aboard receives the same attentive service and access to shipboard amenities") is very similar to a statement in a letter I received from the same office some time ago.

The letter was unsoliticited by me - it was in response to a fairly critical post I made on FB about HAL not notifying guests of groups or even full charters on booked cruises. (They kept selling one of my booked cruises on the NA even though the charter group was advertising it as a full charter. It was 1/2 of a B2B I was taking. The other 1/2 had a very large group on it.)

In the letter I was told I could call the Group Administrator Department at HAL and ask about groups. I actually did so as recently as last week. Fortunately, the largest group on my upcoming cruise is 38 or so passengers.

If I had been told that it was a larger group - say 400 or more - I would have asked what type of group it was and if they would be using areas such as the Crow's Nest or the Aft Pool for their exclusive events. If there was a reluctance to tell me that information I would call the HAL President's Office and ask someone there to intervene.

I would definitely be making these calls before airfare and the like is purchased....and before final payment for sure.

HAL's Group Administration Department -- 1-888-425-9477.

Sorry that this happened to you.

That Group was listed on the dry docks, charter thread at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354486&highlight=dry+docks

Does anyone know if there's a similar listing for other cruise lines?

That would be helpful for those of us that are "pigeon-holed" into certain vacation dates.....

That would be helpful for those of us that are "pigeon-holed" into certain vacation dates.....

As far as CC as a forum for that type listing, I have not seen a similar on-going thread on the other cruise line forums - only here on HAL. And I also echo the the thanks of others to Carol for her persistence and patience in maintaining that list here.

As far as CC as a forum for that type listing, I have not seen a similar on-going thread on the other cruise line forums - only here on HAL. And I also echo the the thanks of others to Carol for her persistence and patience in maintaining that list here.

Yes - thank you to Carol..... I don't have a problem with groups, but if it seems like it's affecting the enjoyment of other passengers....then I do (doesn't matter what the group is.....)

Yes, you can check for groups on any cruise line you want. This website was posted on this thread awhile back, but here it is again.

http://themecruisefinder.com/index.html

Choose "advanced search" and on the next page keep the "all categories" option and then put in either the name of the ship or just the name of the cruiseline in the search field.

Karen13, I am as disgusted as the others at the pathetic non-apology apology (to paraphrase an old Watergate expression). That sure read like a generic form letter. I wonder how many times a week they pull up that file???

Very disappointing! :mad:

Ruth I wonder if the words you wouldn't post were the same ones that popped into my mind when I read that letter??? :eek:

Yes, you can check for groups on any cruise line you want. This website was posted on this thread awhile back, but here it is again.

Choose "advanced search" and on the next page keep the "all categories" option and then put in either the name of the ship or just the name of the cruiseline in the search field.

Thank you silvercruiser - appreciate the link :-)

Good suggestions. We have taken a different approach and have instructed our TA to keep us off any HAL cruise that has a group (or combination of groups) of more than 50 people. So far in more than 20 years cruising we have never encountered any problems with groups on our cruises ... it pays to have a great TA and to make your wishes/requirements known ...

I have emailed HAL again to say their response reads like a form letter and does not address any of my specific concerns. I will post details of any response I get.

To be honest, we are home now and back into the routine of our daily lives. We are not the sort of people to continue to obsess over something like this. However lesson learned, if I cruise on a large ship again I will check for large groups and many thanks for the advice and links in this thread.

At least it seems that by posting details of our experience others have been made aware of is potential problem. That is the great benefit of the Internet for individuals, it gives us the knowledge to make informed choices.

I have emailed HAL again to say their response reads like a form letter and does not address any of my specific concerns. I will post details of any response I get.

To be honest, we are home now and back into the routine of our daily lives. We are not the sort of people to continue to obsess over something like this. However lesson learned, if I cruise on a large ship again I will check for large groups and many thanks for the advice and links in this thread.

At least it seems that by posting details of our experience others have been made aware of is potential problem. That is the great benefit of the Internet for individuals, it gives us the knowledge to make informed choices.

Absolutely! Your time and efforts have educated a lot of people!

In hundreds and hundreds of days on HAL we have run into a "troublesome" group only a couple of times, so we've been lucky. Your thread has made me think of taking a look to see the status of the cruise I am planning to book beforehand.

Thanks!

Hi Karen,

I would certainly post your concerns and the "form letter" response on Facebook. HAL seems to be very concerned with responding to posts on their page, https://www.facebook.com/HALCruises/?fref=ts. I certainly hope that your second email gets the respect that it deserves.

Laurie

Thanks for the tip Laurie. I will do that. Will post here re the response I get.

Let us know what your PCC says. My guess is something like "it will not impact your cruise", or a similar party line. :(

I'm also disappointed in OP's response from HAL. A sour taste indeed.

Agreed. And it's not Customer Service Department, but the Office of the President basically saying in an official capacity, "tough buns".

So I wonder if HAL would be willing* to give booking pax the upfront warning that "Open Dining hours will be x:00 to x:00, so we may balance the needs of all pax, including the needs of a large group. ". And only have Early dining, and restricted open dining available.

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but it hit me with those numbers that both levels of the diningroom were special reserved for late private dining, correct?

Is there any other space on NA that could be used to provide meals to a large banquet?

* (We all KNOW the answer...)

Agreed. And it's not Customer Service Department, but the Office of the President basically saying in an official capacity, "tough buns".

So I wonder if HAL would be willing* to give booking pax the upfront warning that "Open Dining hours will be x:00 to x:00, so we may balance the needs of all pax, including the needs of a large group. ". And only have Early dining, and restricted open dining available.

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but it hit me with those numbers that both levels of the diningroom were special reserved for late private dining, correct?

Is there any other space on NA that could be used to provide meals to a large banquet?

* (We all KNOW the answer...)

Thats correct. the MDR was off limits for anyone else after 6.45.

We booked a year in advance and were not informed of the impact of this large group who we were told booked 18 months in advance.