NCL bans almost all carry-on beverages

This is about cheapest form of nickel and dimeing I have seen. mMy soft drink of choice is diet Dr. Pepper, which they do not carry. And yes, it is enough to make a difference if I am sailing from a US port. I will opt to go with a line that will let me bring a 12 pack on board. Don't tell me it is security when it is actually profit margin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow, making a cruise decision over a 12 pack of soda??? Too funny!:D

I was surprised any line would let you bring water, sodas etc with you considering it's something they sell onboard. Maybe a six-pack but I've seen whole cases tagged for boarding.

I think Carnival got it right when they stopped it, they then lowered the onboard price of bottled water to something reasonable.

Fail to see why people cart cases of water when there is good water on board to drink and ice for your glass. Those cases of water mean more work for the staff to haul to your door - beyond what their job description would be of luggage portage. As for sodas try a new flavor or the flavored waters(free) for a week. Buy a soda package is another option.

wow a sane thread on this topic....

Give it time. If I was Royal I would all people to bring their water and soft drinks on with them for a disposal fee since they have to handle the trash. Part of the cost of a $4 bottle of water at ease is getting it to you 500 miles from anywhere and then disposing of it for you.

Fail to see why people cart cases of water when there is good water on board to drink and ice for your glass. Those cases of water mean more work for the staff to haul to your door - beyond what their job description would be of luggage portage. As for sodas try a new flavor or the flavored waters(free) for a week. Buy a soda package is another option.

Agree totally.

The pint size individual bottles might serve a purpose in third world countries with potable water problems or in first world countries in times of disaster clean-up but on the whole they are totally unnecessary, an indulgence to be discouraged. They cause huge trash problems too.

https://www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/

The NCL water thread is going crazy. Many people are ready to jump ship over a case of water. I cannot imagine how bad cruising would suck, for me, if the greatest part of the vacation was being able to carry on a case of water. Comical to say the least.

Yep ! Well said :)

Even though we are driving to the port this year - I still could not be bothered to carry on water onto a cruise ! Maybe one small bottle for the room in case I forget to bring back a drink - but a case ? No way lol :)

Like everything else. 99% of people that say that will never jump.

I've got a whole list of tagged threads where people said no smoking on balconies would make them jump, make Royal go bankrupt, etc.

I tag a lot of threads where people make those claims. Those same posters keep going on Royal ships. They never quit.

I do the same thing. They hate it when I call them on such pontification later.

Agree totally.

The pint size individual bottles might serve a purpose in third world countries with potable water problems or in first world countries in times of disaster clean-up but on the whole they are totally unnecessary, an indulgence to be discouraged. They cause huge trash problems too.

https://www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/

Thanks for posting that website - made for some good laughs.:D

This is all BS.

The only reason the cruise lines can control this and make us feel like children is because they scan us and our luggage. If this were a land based vacation in any resort you could bring whatever beverage you want into your room.

I can't believe anyone thinks the cruise line are justified having these rules.

For me, I not only get nauseated drinking Pepsi, I vomit. Therefore, if I can't bring Coke on board then I can't go.

Many people drink coffee. I don't, so I must have my one Coke per day.

It isn't always about the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Am I the only one who grew up drinking out of the hose or better yet the fire hydrant? I never understood the constant need for bottled water. I bring a refillable Nalgene bottle and drink the ships water. The way I look at it, the pipes in my house are significantly older and nastier than the ships pipes and having just gotten the yearly drinking water report in my area I am pretty sure the ship water won't kill me for a week or two.

For me, I not only get nauseated drinking Pepsi, I vomit. Therefore, if I can't bring Coke on board then I can't go.

Many people drink coffee. I don't, so I must have my one Coke per day.

It isn't always about the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I drink coffee and before the ships all got nice coffee shops, I could not drink the coffee. It was so terrible, I had to go without coffee for a whole week while I was on my luxury caribbean cruise. If you can not "survive" a week without coke, Id rethink more than your cruise line choice.

:rolleyes:

Am I the only one who grew up drinking out of the hose or better yet the fire hydrant? I never understood the constant need for bottled water. I bring a refillable Nalgene bottle and drink the ships water. The way I look at it, the pipes in my house are significantly older and nastier than the ships pipes and having just gotten the yearly drinking water report in my area I am pretty sure the ship water won't kill me for a week or two.

Ha exactly. My grown daughter just gave me a lecture on the dangers of hose water.. It is amazing I am alive today. I have 3 NCL cruises in a row so I have been on those boards. Everyone is leaving NCL and going...... nowhere bc all the ships are heading this direction. It is nice that RCCL includes water in the packages, but they are not giving them away for free either.:)

I bring a case of water in a duffle every cruise. Honestly I'd like to have it delivered to my cabin if it was at a reasonable cost. Not more then $1 per bottle. I don't drink other beverages and the ship water makes my ankles swell if I drink a lot of it. But I will not pay RCCL s stupid prices so I drag it with me. NCL can do whatever it wants since I don't cruise with them. That said I wouldn't change lines because of it. All the cruise lines seem to be nickel and dining but in reality they are doing pretty well.

This is all BS.

The only reason the cruise lines can control this and make us feel like children is because they scan us and our luggage. If this were a land based vacation in any resort you could bring whatever beverage you want into your room.

The problem is the thinking that it needs to be justified. The cruise lines are offering a product, that no one is forced to purchase, with the rules and requirements that they see fit. If people are unhappy then they should take their business elsewhere rather than demand that a business cater to their desires. Business managers are following their business model, not the models of others. I respect dissenting opinions, but personally I cannot see the entitlement thinking.

This is all BS.

Totally agree.

For me !! I like going to an island and having a coca cola with sugar! Tastes so much better then whats loaded on ships in US ports! HFCS!!! I always buy one for the island and one for the ice bucket in room for on the balcony while at sea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am really surprised that in this day of security that any liquids are allowed to be brought on in hand luggage at all. Why is it different than going on a plane which accepts only hold liquids so that they can be scanned/searched. To me, for security, it would make sense if they banned all liquids in hand luggage but instead provided an on board shop with a more reasonable mark up for water & soft drinks

The difference is that on the plane you never have access to your liquids if they are checked - you say goodbye at checkin and don't see them until baggage claim. On the ship, even if you check your liquids (think shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, etc.), you get it in your room. So from a security standpoint it doesn't matter whether you carry them on or check them. Either way they are scanned.

The water on Radiance a couple of weeks ago was heavily chlorinated. It may be "good" water but it tasted like swimming pool water.:eek: So I was bringing a couple of bottles of water onboard in each port. If they provided tap water that tastes like, well, WATER, or if they sold water at a reasonable price, I'd be fine not bothering with it.

A ship is more comparable to a hotel than a restaurant and there aren't many hotels that stop you from taking in drinks.

And it isn't always about affordability. People just like to feel like they are getting value for their money and not being ripped off. And if they don't feel something meets those criteria then they will look for ways around it. Some will have the attitude that they are on vacation and don't care how much they spend. Some will smuggle and some will choose to go without.

One thing is for sure, you have no idea what someone else's position is and what they can, and cannot, afford.

For me, in the past, I wanted some craft beers and none really to be found on ship. I agree it is not always about affordability. I would have liked to bring on my six pack or 2 of good craft beer I liked and then even pay some premium ( maybe the profit margin).

Nowdays, there are more choices, but still limited at times. I can ID with others, but then again, I know the rules when booking too and for sure I can survive a cruise! :)

This is all BS.

If you act like children you should be treated like one. If everybody followed the allowances of liquids, there would be a need to scan anyone. My drink of choice is beer. I would not even consider trying to sneak some in. I don't like their prices so I go without. Doesn't change my experience one iota.

Yeah so what? This is the RCL board and not NCL if OP cares to check.

You should thoroughly read the post before showing your ignorance with a comment like this. The OP was asking if Royal would someday follow suit.

Yeah so what? This is the RCL board and not NCL if OP cares to check.

I am quite sure that the OP, and all the rest of us, know which board this is. If you don't care to know what another cruise line happens to be doing then don't read the thread. The title of the thread told you what was coming.... if you care to check.

All cruise lines should ban carryons of any beverage, including water, beer, alcohol, and wine. I don't know of a restaurant or bar, that sells these items, lets you bring in your own.

How many restaurants and bars do you know that let you live and sleep in them for a week? Though a ship may contain both, that doesn't make the ship either a restaurant or a bar.